What song are you listening to right now?

http://archive.boston.com/ae/music/..._pynchons_tales_music_is_the_backbeat/?page=1
is says that the novel is just an alibi for pynchon who finally had the chance to publish his own lyrics

Missed this. That's not to hard to believe as he, the character and in those moments maybe more so the author, just seems so excited to lay some knowledge on the reader that it honestly echoes a music collector lecturing. Good times.

Travis Bretzer - are you ever going to change

Saw her in the movie "Kill your friends" earlier tonight and despite being a fellow swede I had never heard of her before.

Instead of making a song about Stockport this Manchester band made one about Stockholm. This is not the official video but a new video showing pictures of the swedish capital that saw so many happy Man United fans recently.

"Lately, lately, I find I rush.
Can't piece together the sun in the sky or the spots on my face.

And I must be stuck, my feet already are, I must be lost, my feet already are,
And I must be fast, my feet already are, you'll soon be dust your deeds already are,

Chorus:

You'll soon be dust your deeds already are,
You saw no orb no fiery bushes either,
I must be drunk I feel unsteady,
No monster me, sadly no saint either...
Walk back into Stockholm - Stockholm - our travels take us further north,
where there's fish in the sea and food on the shelves.
And I must be cold, my feet already are,
You must be old, so take it easier,
And I must be cold, my feet already are,
You must be old, so take it easier...

[chorus]

Walk back into, walk back into, wicked, wicked, wicked...
Belly, belly, and slap
I love to feel the food in my guts and the fat in my veins."

had a swell time today with inherent vice, but i am only half way through, so you have to endure more of its soundtrack in the coming days, if everything goes swell...
"all the way up to topanga, the radio cranked out a super surfin' marathon, all commercial free - which seemed peculiar until doc realized that nobody who would sit through this music-teachers nightmare of doubled-up blues lines, moronic one-chord 'tunes', and desperate vocal effects could possibly belong to any consumer demographic known to the ad business. ..... 'pipeline' and 'surfin' bird' by the trashmen, and 'bamboo' by johnny and the hurricanes, singles by eddie and the showmen, the bel airs, the hollywood saxons, and the olympics, souvenirs out of a childhood doc had never much felt he wanted to escape from" (P.125/6)

cool one here - swooooosh

this one i know, why?

Surfin' Bird. Friends of the feather!

Yeah I know who you remind me of
A girl I think I used to know
Yeah I'd see her when the days got colder
On those days when it felt like snow...

Ah. Paris. I remember I shoplifted that on cassette when it came out by sticking it up the sleeve of my jacket.
Catch really doesn't fit on there though. It's such a good, mostly dark performance, and then Catch comes along and gives you auditory diabetes.

Ah. Paris. I remember I shoplifted that on cassette when it came out by sticking it up the sleeve of my jacket.
Catch really doesn't fit on there though. It's such a good, mostly dark performance, and then Catch comes along and gives you auditory diabetes.

:)

Seeing these in Leeds in early Sep, can't wait.

cant say much about the second half of the book at this moment, but i fear that the song references so far can also be accomplished by some good research, you dont have to be an excited enthusiast for that. he is not really getting into the the lyrics, yes, a line here and there, some name-dropping and insider terminology, but in order to prove a real understanding connaisseur, you would probably have to get deeper into the individual song's nature, read between the lines, get a feel for its original motivation. so far i enjoy them as kind of a glittery decoration which is wonderful and funny. probably he didnt want to attach a more profound meaning to the songs as this would also raise questions concerning his light-hearted depiction of the 60s drug scene, for example. yes, he is lecturing in an entertaining way, but more superficially, not so much about the songs' soul, if you know what i mean

To go to much into the song would distract fm the story he's telling without really adding much. I just feel he knows about some of them personally as why choose them or bother to research especially if he weren't gonna go to far into the songs meaning lyrics etc. He could have just chosen more obvious well known songs . Probably never know for sure but lean towards him being a fan

Tags
bon jovi emorama fatguyinalittlecoat rulz gr8 tags i have good taste i have terrible taste nugz luvs dmb nugz luvs phish post-count increaser r kellz lyk wut robby=follower she who has good taste this thread is toxic who nose yannisbad ydw an ipod
Back
Top Bottom