• Release the 6 unrecorded songs on a deluxe edition of LIHSD

• Record another 4 (or more) songs to make up a completely new album

• Go out on tour again to promote the current album

• Take some time off (a year or more)

• Retire

Results are only viewable after voting.
A

Anonymous

One could argue that Steve Morrissey's stock was at an all-time low in December.
Worst reviews ever for his new album, it disappeared out of the charts in record time, and he was exposed (or rather exposed himself) as an outright liar courtesy of a taped recording (of a German music magazine interview) made publicly available.
What a difference 3 months make! His most commercially successful UK tour ever, and at least one of his new songs (STDIB) greeted night after night with the same enthusiasm as a Smiths classic.
But what should he do next? We know there are at least 6 songs recorded (during the LIHS sessions) and ready to go...

One could argue that Steve Morrissey's stock was at an all-time low in December.
Worst reviews ever for his new album, it disappeared out of the charts in record time, and he was exposed (or rather exposed himself) as an outright liar courtesy of a taped recording (of a German music magazine interview) made publicly available.
What a difference 3 months make! His most commercially successful UK tour ever, and at least one of his new songs (STDIB) greeted night after night with the same enthusiasm as a Smiths classic.
But what should he do next? We know there are at least 6 songs recorded (during the LIHS sessions) and ready to go...

Whoops, bit of a slack post here.
Poll option should say 'the 6 unreleased songs' not unrecorded.
There are 6 songs already recorded by/with Joe Chiccarelli (according to Joe himself) that are ready to go.
And LIHDS should say LIHS.

I think he should take up Seniors bodybuilding. A slightly better diet along with a couple of cycles of HGH and 'Steve' would be good to go, I reckon. Just the name alone would him comps, I mean who wouldn't vote for a bodybuilder called Steve Morrissey???

Sack the show band and bring in some proper musicians to form a band who can give him one last shot in the arm.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

1. It's successful because he actually completed it.

2. Spent The Day In Bed is the only new song most audience members recognize.

3. We still don't know if he can tour in the U.S. anymore, and if not, it would constitute an almost fatal blow.

4. The Smiths mean a lot to people, even if its just a few songs.

I wish him well, but let's keep a healthy perspective on things until we know more.

3. We still don't know if he can tour in the U.S. anymore, and if not, it would constitute an almost fatal blow.

I wish him well, but let's keep a healthy perspective on things until we know more.
I too, am very curious about #3. I imagine if he's barred, that Johnny just might hear his phone ring. (And probably piss Morrissey off by saying he has his own album to promote first.)

Become the new leader of UKIP of course and become Prime Minister and start wars on everyone and everything.

OK, here's my list:

1. Buy a big boat and be the captain

2. Buy a big ass Ford pick up truck (a shut the f*** up car like we say in Sweden)

3. Shave his head

4. Shave away son!

5. Write a book about snowflakes and the politically correct society

6. Mock Sweden for our generous immigration laws

7. Open a pasta restaurant in New Jersey

8. Climb the roof of a building and shout "I am the King of the world"

9. Sack his ugly band members (stay handsome)

10. Go on Fox News and explain why he got rid of Julia (and feel right at home politically purring like a cat)

Write another book.:brows:
He should collaborate with me on it! Oh the fun we'd have skirting around pedestrian bland terms like erection! "No moz, you've already used bulbous salutation. Why not try tumescent hi-dee-ho?"

I think he should drop the 'Steve' bit from his name, and going forward should just be known as 'Morrissey'. I think this bit of re-branding would make him seem more enigmatic and help him stick in the public consciousness.

1. Put the possible new songs in a dustbin.

2. Say " you're fired " to the band and. Chicarelli

3. Find exciting and talented musicians and start from scratch

I would say that Morrissey's stock was much lower in the late 90s, but anyway...

It's difficult to say whether the unreleased songs should be part of an album without hearing them. But if the label are happy to release something else, then I would hope for a new album whenever he can come up with it.

I worry about the unreleased songs that people seem so excited about. There's a reason they weren't first pick to get on the album and there's a fair bit of bilge already on that, imho. I'm with Benny on this - sack the band and get new collaborators, and who knows what he could do with his last roll of the dice.

My top scenario would be an album of collaborations with multiple writers: Richard Hawley springs to mind, the camp theatricality of Rufus Wainwright would be very interesting, Noel G as a super-fan likewise, Damien Dempsey there's already been talk of (believe it when I see it, though) and maybe even that Johnny Marr bloke. I don't think this would ever happen as his need for absolute autonomy doesn't make him a natural collaborator, but I can dream.

No, it was his most successful UK tour ever in terms of the number of people that went to see it. Credit where due (and I don't think he deserves a lot of credit these days).
About 20 songs mean a lot to people - yes, most Smiths but by no means all. First of the Gang and Every Day get just as rapturous a reception as I Started Something.
I don't really see that not touring the US would make a huge difference. The UK fan-base is twice the size.

I worry about the unreleased songs that people seem so excited about. There's a reason they weren't first pick to get on the album and there's a fair bit of bilge already on that, imho.

When Steve chooses songs for an album from all those recorded in a session, he does it from a point of view of the lyrics. He's correctly described himself before as a non-musician before. This explains why utter crap like Roy's Keen and Dagenham Dave have been released in the past as singles whereas genius songs like Nobody Loves Us and Lost were hidden away on their b-sides. I expect many of us would agree that several of the bonus songs on World Peace were a lot better than those on the main album, and many of the Quarry b-sides were miles better than some of the album songs.
It is very likely therefore that there are some absolute gems in the extra songs recorded in the Low in High School sessions. The song titles themselves suggest they are mercifully free of muddled world politics or the clumsy sexual cringe-fest that ruined much of the main album.

But he has a long track record of leaving the best stuff off albums ('Ganglord' springs to mind.) And there are a couple of songs on the expanded 'World Peace' that are better than a lot of what made it onto the original album.

I would say that Morrissey's stock was much lower in the late 90s, but anyway...

His commercial stock was lower but it was pre-internet back then so any problems stayed within his (and the music) world. His views on the Weinstein case became front page news on the BBC website in November, read by literally hundreds of millions of people around the world. He had never experienced vitriol on that scale in his life before. Also, the internet means we can read hundreds of reviews for albums - not just the magazines we can get our hands on. So you will never have read as much ridicule for a Morrissey album back in the late 90s, even if Maladjusted received a similar critical response to Low in High School.

I think his stock is pretty good and better than when he released world peace as His album sold more and had a single more recognized and liked than anything he’s released in a while. I personally wouldn’t mind if he combined he songs with the bsides from world peace and released another swords type album as a stop gap until a new album is made up from scratch. It seems to late for a delux lihs as the tour would have been the best time and place to promote and sell it. I of course wouldn’t hate a new album

Back
Top Bottom