What popular things do you not like or care about?

Aside from bad music, there is also bad TV. Reality shows, cooking shows and celebrity chefs (WTF?), home-improvement shows, dancing, singing shows and let's not forget the uninformative news. Unless you subscribe to movie streaming services, what's the point of turning on TV?

Aside from bad music, there is also bad TV. Reality shows, cooking shows and celebrity chefs (WTF?), home-improvement shows, dancing, singing shows and let's not forget the uninformative news. Unless you subscribe to movie streaming services, what's the point of turning on TV?

To have the possibility to turn it off again? :eek:
By the way, turn off all the other " gadgets " as well. (Cause that's what they are)
Smartphone, tablet, social media, twitter, fakebook, etc. etc. :(

Even if it just gives you the feeling of some kind of control (could be delusional, though) that is what you can do. Otherwise we are all amusing ourselves til death and get hooked. As I am. :(
I am contemplating " Cold Turkey ", now. Just considering getting out more and walking in the park. :thumb:

TV now is a screen to watch film and tv shows on from the laptop. Linear tv is dead and it will all be online in just a few years.

TV now is a screen to watch film and tv shows on from the laptop. Linear tv is dead and it will all be online in just a few years.

Yes, and there will be no switch off/on button either.
1984 revisited. Thank you for reminding me.
Feel so much better now. :banned:

I don't know about the laptop. More likely t.v sets will just become web browsers as well. If my roku had a chrome browser app I don't think I'd turn on my laptop like ever.

All of those types of shows are fun though if you enjoy that particular hobby. I enjoy a couple of home remodeling shows myself because I have an interest in houses so I watch from time to time. Don't know about the celebrity aspect but I imagine it's the same for cooking. T.v is much more niche now and much less of a mass communication. More than just fiction and news. Reality shows are kinda terrible if they just are about bickering and drama but that's not so much the genre as it's just a bad reality show. I enjoy shows about various occupations as well. Like serialized documentaries

I don't know about the laptop. More likely t.v sets will just become web browsers as well. If my roku had a chrome browser app I don't think I'd turn on my laptop like ever.

All of those types of shows are fun though if you enjoy that particular hobby. I enjoy a couple of home remodeling shows myself because I have an interest in houses so I watch from time to time. Don't know about the celebrity aspect but I imagine it's the same for cooking. T.v is much more niche now and much less of a mass communication. More than just fiction and news. Reality shows are kinda terrible if they just are about bickering and drama but that's not so much the genre as it's just a bad reality show. I enjoy shows about various occupations as well. Like serialized documentaries

Everyone watches tv but many have a need to stand out and think they are so special a tv cannot do anything for them. Those people have always a very limited general knowledge and are always the people that end up not having anything to discuss with other people as they simply lack social skills in general.

TV's come with web browsers now but those are still pretty useless and it is weird that we haven't had a tv maker that has managed to build a tv with a web browser that is as good as what we have in our computers.

The cost of airing tv is very high and we should see less and less of that in the coming years as most companies will turn to the internet.

Well that's just it. The TV lost it's important cultural aspect. It used to be a tremendous source of information, tool for broadcasting good and honest journalism, arts and culture. Now it's just a gadget to promote a distraction from the real problems of the world. The entertainment business became the main focus of people's lives which is quite alarming, considering the level of laziness and apathy it creates.

Well that's just it. The TV lost it's important cultural aspect. It used to be a tremendous source of information, tool for broadcasting good and honest journalism, arts and culture. Now it's just a gadget to promote a distraction from the real problems of the world. The entertainment business became the main focus of people's lives which is quite alarming, considering the level of laziness and apathy it creates.

To me Moz is a bit like a tv, outdated and of no relevance at all yet people wanna milk it a bit as most of them missed out on the times when he did matter and had something to say. Unlike now.

Morrissey has been like a tv showing static for 20 years now. White noise for not so white people.

tvstatic.jpg

I don't think its lost much of it cultural value I just think it changed along with viewers. I think it's capacity just changed to offer a lot more. Also t.v has alwYs been mostly about entertainment and if anything I think offers more info than ever. Like I said I can learn about cooking home repair how to survive in the wild Algorithms history science etc. Ever watched the univere series. It's pretty neat. I like watching the antique road show and learning about the history of certain objects. In what way do you think that t.v has lost cultural value. It's always offered a mix of information and entertainment but now just seems to offer more of both. I think if anything has changed its that you have to go looking for specifics rather than have a few channels bring a variety of content to you. Streaming has only made this easier imo and made it that much simpler to watch the shows you want and digest a bunch more at once. It's also made it easier to find new shows based around a subject. I'd say if you added up all the worthwhile programming vs the amount offered in the past you'd come up with a lot more in present times

Everyone watches tv but many have a need to stand out and think they are so special a tv cannot do anything for them. Those people have always a very limited general knowledge and are always the people that end up not having anything to discuss with other people as they simply lack social skills in general.

TV's come with web browsers now but those are still pretty useless and it is weird that we haven't had a tv maker that has managed to build a tv with a web browser that is as good as what we have in our computers.

The cost of airing tv is very high and we should see less and less of that in the coming years as most companies will turn to the internet.

I don't get your first paragraph if it was directed at me. I don't think studios will turn to the internet but I do think streaming services are the future. T.vs so come with a decent web browser soon enough. I've not tried any so far but watch all my streaming services through a Roku device. I added the YouTube app not long ago and havent played YouTube on my iPad or netbook since. A web browser is soon to come as soon as they can work out cost (manufacturing) price issues and interface issues such as a multi functional remote that works out how to type scroll etc or just make a wireless keyboard that synchs with a laptop like mouse. I can already synch my phone to type into the YouTube search. I imagine it'll happen when an already existing browser makes a deal and signs a contract with some streaming device or television company and has real incentive to make it work

I don't think its lost much of it cultural value I just think it changed along with viewers. I think it's capacity just changed to offer a lot more. Also t.v has alwYs been mostly about entertainment and if anything I think offers more info than ever. Like I said I can learn about cooking home repair how to survive in the wild Algorithms history science etc. Ever watched the univere series. It's pretty neat. I like watching the antique road show and learning about the history of certain objects. In what way do you think that t.v has lost cultural value. It's always offered a mix of information and entertainment but now just seems to offer more of both. I think if anything has changed its that you have to go looking for specifics rather than have a few channels bring a variety of content to you. Streaming has only made this easier imo and made it that much simpler to watch the shows you want and digest a bunch more at once. It's also made it easier to find new shows based around a subject. I'd say if you added up all the worthwhile programming vs the amount offered in the past you'd come up with a lot more in present times

The media CONTROLS what the viewer is allowed to see or know. There is no transparency, no honesty anymore. With so much garbage being put on the TV on daily basis, people are virtually becoming desensitized or immune to the real world of today. If you watch old movies, or old documentaries, pay attention what is said and how. Now compare to anything you see on TV today. Can you see/hear the difference? Does it show we have progressed over the years? Netflix has some eye-opening, thought-provoking documentaries that network stations won't show you. The only thing I can watch on TV is PBS' Austin City Limits. 1 show from close to 200 channels! Pathetic.

The media CONTROLS what the viewer is allowed to see or know. There is no transparency, no honesty anymore. With so much garbage being put on the TV on daily basis, people are virtually becoming desensitized or immune to the real world of today. If you watch old movies, or old documentaries, pay attention what is said and how. Now compare to anything you see on TV today. Can you see/hear the difference? Does it show we have progressed over the years? Netflix has some eye-opening, thought-provoking documentaries that network stations won't show you. The only thing I can watch on TV is PBS' Austin City Limits. 1 show from close to 200 channels! Pathetic.

You're asking all the wrong questions there pal. Instead of worrying about the media controlling what's allowed to be seen, you need to ask yourself just who's controlling the media. Then you'll be on to something. You think you got what it takes to figure it out there pal? It's time to wake the f*** up.

I don't watch tv. The only thing I miss is when there is a show everyone is talking about and I can't see it. The last one was Stranger Things. But then I found a place online to watch it. TV might be different where you live but I found that most television was more of a distraction than anything else. I prefer Internet entertainment and discussion.

Sounds nutty to me. Who controlled it before. It's not liks it work.g out of the ground like a tree before. You could always just say and give examples of those differences instead of alluding to some conspiracy. Nothing stopping you from openjng eyes. Also for the sake of a clear discussion you should differentiate between network broadcasting and the television as an object. For me even though I stream shows a lot of them are still shows made by cable channels like the learning channel the history channel as well as made for streaming pieces.

Sounds nutty to me. Who controlled it before. It's not liks it work.g out of the ground like a tree before. You could always just say and give examples of those differences instead of alluding to some conspiracy. Nothing stopping you from openjng eyes. Also for the sake of a clear discussion you should differentiate between network broadcasting and the television as an object. For me even though I stream shows a lot of them are still shows made by cable channels like the learning channel the history channel as well as made for streaming pieces.

It's no secret who owns the media.
When General Electric, one of the largest arms manufacturers, owns major television networks they influence what we see. You're right that this is not a new thing. But the difference is that there used to be some independently owned broadcasters, especially in radio, and that's pretty much gone. People don't really read newspapers much anymore but if you do you should know that they are not independent voices either.
It's typical for someone who does no research of their own to call people who do "nutty."

tv-ge.gif

General Electric has a worldwide voice and ability to influence politics.

When General Electric, one of the largest arms manufacturers, owns major television networks they influence what we see. You're right that this is not a new thing. But the difference is that there used to be some independently owned broadcasters, especially in radio, and that's pretty much gone. People don't really read newspapers much anymore but if you do you should know that they are not independent voices either.
It's typical for someone who does no research of their own to call people who do "nutty."

tv-ge.gif

What difference does it make who owns it. A news outlet being idependently owned doesnt mean it's by nature any more or less objective or non bias. Many an independently owned news paper in the past has been blatantly biased and I didnt need to see who owned it to know that. Also even independently owned media still has advertisers to answer to among others. We were also before not just talking about news media. I do think that will be lost to the internet as people like to read and digest it at there own pace follow links and share in real time. Mainly only editorial news will work in the tv show format. Also talk shows I guess with interviews

You're asking all the wrong questions there pal. Instead of worrying about the media controlling what's allowed to be seen, you need to ask yourself just who's controlling the media. Then you'll be on to something. You think you got what it takes to figure it out there pal? It's time to wake the f*** up.
It's clear to me who controls the media. Why do you think Wikileaks became so unpopular (by governments I may add). The people are not complaining about the truth being told.
Pal

tv-ge.gif

:thumbsup:

What difference does it make who owns it. A news outlet being idependently owned doesnt mean it's by nature any more or less objective or non bias. Many an independently owned news paper in the past has been blatantly biased and I didnt need to see who owned it to know that. Also even independently owned media still has advertisers to answer to among others. We were also before not just talking about news media. I do think that will be lost to the internet as people like to read and digest it at there own pace follow links and share in real time. Mainly only editorial news will work in the tv show format. Also talk shows I guess with interviews

Are you aware of the phrase, "conflict of interest?"
Much (mush?) of what you've written there is gibberish, and certain parts are inherently illogical. For example you claim that many independent newspapers are biased, and you know this, but you don't know who owns them. So how do you know they are independently owned? Moving on...
You're correct that advertisers have always been an influence. This is very different than a small group of billionaires having control over all network television. The Reagan administration changed the anti-trust laws which had previously pretty much guaranteed that the people had a voice. Currently Obama is pushing the idea that the Internet should be censored and scrubbed of ideas which are not true. Sounds great right? So who determines what is true? Isn't this a direct assault on constitutional rights?
Back to the topic, it is a conflict of interest for General Electric to tell you what to think about the world situation and also profit from the development and sales of arms. It is a conflict of interest for 15 billionaires to own all major media.
This is according to Forbes an organization not known for being hostile to enterprise.

Are you aware of the phrase, "conflict of interest?"
Much (mush?) of what you've written there is gibberish, and certain parts are inherently illogical. For example you claim that many independent newspapers are biased, and you know this, but you don't know who owns them. So how do you know they are independently owned? Moving on...
You're correct that advertisers have always been an influence. This is very different than a small group of billionaires having control over all network television. The Reagan administration changed the anti-trust laws which had previously pretty much guaranteed that the people had a voice. Currently Obama is pushing the idea that the Internet should be censored and scrubbed of ideas which are not true. Sounds great right? So who determines what is true? Isn't this a direct assault on constitutional rights?
Back to the topic, it is a conflict of interest for General Electric to tell you what to think about the world situation and also profit from the development and sales of arms. It is a conflict of interest for 15 billionaires to own all major media.
This is according to Forbes an organization not known for being hostile to enterprise.

I didn't say independently owned news outlets are biased only that they have been in the past and that being independently owned is is not some guarantee to truthful reporting in the same way that having multiple interests must lead to self interest and manipulation of the media. General electric should be allowed to have whatever voice they want and be able to present the news how they see fit within the law. Nothings stopping anyone from starting an independently operated media outlet many just can't compete or draw talent and viewers these days. Its not some form of mind control by large conglomerates and I really doubt those billionaires are super involved in what there new stations report on any consistent basis so saying there all controlled by these individuals is silly. You more and more remind me of the hippies from South park talking about the corporations and the machine out to get us with complex plots for control of society

Back
Top Bottom