What other bands do you listen to?

I still love love love The White Stripes. I think they are a keeper.:guitar:

being old as I am, I have listend to alot of different bands over the years, but my current top 10 is:
Placebo
Lykke Li
Emilie Simon
She Wants Revenge
Cansei de Ser Sexy
Paloma Faith
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Apoptygma Berzerk
Kimbra
& most recently:
Nicola Roberts :eek:

The Beatles (You can never go wrong with the Beatles - they live up to the hype)

Call me crazy or an asshole or whatever, but I've always been pretty indifferent about The Beatles... I recognize their quality, sure, but they never really made as deep an impact on me as (seemingly) everybody else. Not enough for me to really ever give that much of a shit, anyway (said to give a realistic impression of my feelings, not to be impolite or disrespectful).

The Smiths are my Beatles, really. I've said it before, and it's the absolute truth. They are to me what The Beatles are to a lot of people. :blushing: Barf bag?

I like a lot of second-wave Punk, Post-Punk, Shoegaze, Indie/Indie-Pop, 60's Psych/Garage and girl groups, and last but not least, Noise (like Merzbow, but only as a popular example, not an artist I am a particularly big listener of). I like harsh "cut-up" noise that is very fast-paced and dynamic.

I also like a lot of stuff under the "Hardcore" umbrella, particularly the extreme varieties and Scandinavian D-beat/HC. And 80's Grindcore, Noisecore and Crust, as well as some Crossover stuff. I like some old school Death Metal and "raw" Black Metal as well, but I don't really identify or get along with with "metalheads" or Metal subculture(s) very well.

More recently, I've been getting into Funk via Sly & the Family Stone. And less recently, but still relatively recently, "Alternative" Hip-Hop via cLOUDDEAD and other Anticon artists. And Sludge (Dystopia, Toadliquor). 90's Screamo too...

I'm not much into Electronic music [EDIT: And then I remembered how great Richard D James is], but I "grew up on" and was initially very influenced by a lot of 80's EBM, Industrial and Post-Industrial stuff (TG, SPK, Skinny Puppy, FLA, Foetus, etc.), and I still have a soft spot for a lot of it, even if it doesn't occupy as much of my listening time now. Still very fond of SP and Foetus. I've always been totally in awe of Skinny Puppy in terms of production alone, but I haven't liked anything they did after Goettel died. Still, the multi-layered depth and texture in their music was and is incredibly inspiring.

I could say the same of a lot of No Wave stuff, though I still do listen to and enjoy plenty of "Noise Rock" stuff, particularly early Butthole Surfers.

And "Apocalyptic Folk" shit too, or whatever you want to call it.

I really don't like Coldplay... :p
But I dislike Maroon 5 even more.

Last edited:
I mostly listen to solo artists...I like Sparks, Eels, Death Cab For Cutie, James, Morcheeba, Orange Juice, Cocteau Twins, XTC..

PPPPPPPPS: Sparks too... Damn, I liked them well before I knew Moz did!
I adore them. @_@

I dunno why they didn't come to mind sooner...

and OJ... and CT... the later should go without saying though. I think it's better to just suggest looking at my Discogs/last.FM for this shit, otherwise I will keep making unnecessary additional posts.

Lots of stuff. Black metal, Death in June, Swans, Depeche Mode, Les Joyaux de la Princesse, Leonard Cohen, Siouxsie and the Banshees

OK, so...

All time favourites

The Smiths / Morrissey
Joy Division / New Order
The Cure
Siouxsie & The Banshees

Other bands I listen to (this is a long list and I am sure I will miss many)

The Stone Roses
The Clash
Sex Pistols
Bauhaus
Jesus & Mary Chain
Echo & The Bunnymen
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Blondie
Ramones
Belle & Sebastian
Cocteau Twins
This Mortal Coil
Bowie
Editors
Arctic Monkeys
Oasis
Blur
Vaccines
Franz Ferdinand
Gene
Sinatra
Libertines
Strokes
The Who
Glasvegas
Iggy Pop
Buzzcocks
Ida Maria
James
Ocean Colour Scene
Doll & The Kicks
Killing Joke
Kinks
Suede
New York Dolls
The Jam
Pixies
Pulp
Roxy Music / Bryan Ferry
R.E.M.
X-mal Deutschland
Talking Heads
Killers
Soft Cell / Marc Almond
Depeche Mode
The National
Psychedelic Furs
The Specials
Madness
Wedding Present
White Stripes
Cold War Kids
Kasabian
Laura Marling
Nick Cave
P.I.L.
The Boyfriends
Durutti Column
The Sundays

(and many more that I am probably forgetting...)

Recent obsessions

Anna Calvi
Daughter
The Courteeners
Chapel Club

My List is MUCH shorter:

The Smiths/Morrissey
Pet Shop Boys (used to love them and collect too)
Dusty Springfield
Rick Astley
Kraftwerk

I have got a few Cds of other artists but play them rarely (once a year I suppose)

Cheers Moz
That' s all

The Smiths / Morrissey

The Cure
Modest Mouse
Oasis
Suede
The The
Electronic
New York Dolls
The Ramones
Johnny Marr and the Healers
The Pretenders
The Cribs

listen mainly to 60s pop. but atm george harrison's 'all things must pass' is on heavy rotation.

Back
Top Bottom