What Morrissey thinks of Korda Marshall at BMG

What Morrissey really thinks of Korda Marshall (and other amazing tributes) - Music Business Worldwide

Excerpt:

This was supposed to be a simple story telling you that Korda Marshall is winning the coveted A&R Icon gong at the A&R Awards in London next Wednesday (November 1), presented by MBW in association with Abbey Road Studios.

That’s very much still true – and we’re delighted that Korda is following in the footsteps of the brilliant Muff Winwood by collecting the prize at our sold-out ceremony.

People care about Korda. You only need to read the amazing tributes from the likes of alt-J, Muse’s Matt Bellamy, Max Lousada, Seymour Stein and many more below to know that.

He’s been a mentor, a friend and an inspiration to artists and executives alike throughout his 35 years in the UK record business.

But late last night, the original introduction to this humble news alert was stopped in its tracks, when MBW received an email from a source who – how can we put this? – hasn’t exactly been lavish in his praise about the record industry down the years.

He proceeded to tell us, in no uncertain terms, exactly what he thinks of Korda.

Here is that email.

“It is an indisputable fact that most record company executives can barely walk on land, and need to be turned over every 30 minutes. Their success makes you worry for music. But Korda strikes fire because he loves music and he wants others to. He listens with every nerve alert, and for those of us who have too frequently cruised the bars looking for a new label, Korda is a relief and a blessing.

“His job is hard to do well, but easy to do badly. Korda does not view pop artists as marketing creations. Instead, his knowledge, smartness and structural ideas fully join every aspect – he frets about the undotted i. I’m glad he’s around in 2017 entertainment when so many people surprise us only by being able to talk.

“May Korda rule the waves and waive the rules for many years to come.”

MORRISSEY.

41082_korda_marshall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, i remember that part of Johnny's book. And thought it strange that Mike was appointed spokesperson, but then again... between the two, Mike seems more outgoing than Andy. And Morrissey wanted to avoid any confrontation with Marr. That's my take.

Oh agreed on the personalities. Mike is way more extroverted than Andy, at least in interviews. But here's the thing - according to most reports, the recording of Strangeways was harmonious - what happened to cause the seismic power shift in the band? Why did Johnny suddenly feel on the outs? I think the Moz and Joyce thing explains it. Even in the scene in the chip shop where Johnny announces he wants a break, he notes that Moz and Joyce are sitting together on one side and him and Andy on the other. I'm thinking that Johnny is dropping a lot of hints and not coming out and saying what happened to protect privacy.

One incident I believe that forced Johnny's hand, along with the recent anti-manager actions of Morrissey keeping more pressure on Johnny in general, is Morrissey jibbing a session / TV date, and not telling the band he wasn't coming, and even refusing to open the door to Johnny and Angie, which broke his resolve and proved to him, I suspect, that Morrissey was not into an equal partnership.

As a long term sufferer of clinical depression, I've still always been able to recognise when shutting good people out of your life is disrespectful and hurtful to them. I've seen many defences of that incident from Morrissey's point of view, but they're always coddled, naive crap that passes the buck.

As a long term sufferer of clinical depression, I've still always been able to recognise when shutting good people out of your life is disrespectful and hurtful to them. I've seen many defences of that incident from Morrissey's point of view, but they're always coddled, naive crap that passes the buck.

yes, but you're not him.

One incident I believe that forced Johnny's hand, along with the recent anti-manager actions of Morrissey keeping more pressure on Johnny in general, is Morrissey jibbing a session / TV date, and not telling the band he wasn't coming, and even refusing to open the door to Johnny and Angie, which broke his resolve and proved to him, I suspect, that Morrissey was not into an equal partnership.

Yes, this incident seems like it was one of the last straws for Johnny. I think he's quoted as saying the band was over to the people who were working on the video. But wouldn't this have frustrated Mike and Andy in the same way too?

On another topic, has anyone ever heard what the video was going to look like? Were there costumes, a storyboard? I just saw a bunch of really terrible 80's Tom Petty rock videos when he died and thought Morrissey was right about rock videos back then!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom