what made you frown today?

Not to get too involved, but ....How do they taste like? I never had one in my life. I don't usually go for mass produced pastry (or mass produced anything for that matter).

Not to get too involved, but ....How do they taste like? I never had one in my life. I don't usually go for mass produced pastry (or mass produced anything for that matter).
pop tarts? bland. a bit like cardboard but with a sweet filling that i always burn my mouth on. i dont actually eat them that often--maybe once a year ill buy a box--but it would be nice to know that if i did want some, i had options other than 'raspberry' and 'strawberry'. blah. of course they cant compare to your home made strudel which recipe you brought with you from the old country, we know, we know.

:lbf:

you should see our dismal selection of pop tarts! i nearly had a convulsion when at the train station in vienna i saw all the different flavours that are actually available! :(

Austrian supermarkets and places have an amazing range of sweets and food and stuff. Vienna is the world capital of eating.

Austrian supermarkets and places have an amazing range of sweets and food and stuff. Vienna is the world capital of eating.
is it? i didnt know that! and yet, imagine, i could never find any avocados or bread without dill seeds!
one of my favourite things to do in other countries is to check out their grocery stores, sad as that is. i remember going to julius meinl and thinking it was funny that they had an 'american' section and that it had french's mustard and kettle chips. and some of the things in the deli cases of austrian supermarkets are positively mesmerizing. i remember being so grossed out when i saw in one some jelly looking loaf with eggs and grated carrots and all kinds of things in it. i have since come to learn that such a thing is called aspic. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Aspic-with-eggs.jpg
my favourite food product coming out of austria would have to be green apple juice. SO good! man, why cant we get that here?!?!

is it? i didnt know that! and yet, imagine, i could never find any avocados or bread without dill seeds!
one of my favourite things to do in other countries is to check out their grocery stores, sad as that is. i remember going to julius meinl and thinking it was funny that they had an 'american' section and that it had french's mustard and kettle chips. and some of the things in the deli cases of austrian supermarkets are positively mesmerizing. i remember being so grossed out when i saw in one some jelly looking loaf with eggs and grated carrots and all kinds of things in it. i have since come to learn that such a thing is called aspic. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Aspic-with-eggs.jpg
my favourite food product coming out of austria would have to be green apple juice. SO good! man, why cant we get that here?!?!

Oh yes, aspic. It's kind of gross but good gross. In the Alps they serve vegetables in aspic with raw onions and black pumpkin seed oil. That's probably my favourite Austrian dish next to Milchrahmstrudel and Schnapskrapfen. Julius Meinl is fantastic, like a mini Harrods food hall on every street corner. God, I am almost contemplating a weekend trip to Vienna, just to indulge. I literally frowned yesterday when I wanted to buy yoghurt and beer but all one can get is yoghurt without fat and beer without alcohol. It's just wrong. :-/

Oh yes, aspic. It's kind of gross but good gross. In the Alps they serve vegetables in aspic with raw onions and black pumpkin seed oil. That's probably my favourite Austrian dish next to Milchrahmstrudel and Schnapskrapfen. Julius Meinl is fantastic, like a mini Harrods food hall on every street corner. God, I am almost contemplating a weekend trip to Vienna, just to indulge. I literally frowned yesterday when I wanted to buy yoghurt and beer but all one can get is yoghurt without fat and beer without alcohol. It's just wrong. :-/
well then based on your recommendation if i am ever in the alps i resolve to try aspic! i dont think ill go looking for it here. it must be authentic if im going to try it.
aw you're so lucky that you can just go for a weekend trip to vienna just like that, if you so choose. whereever are you that you can only find yogourt without fat and beer without alcohol???

well then based on your recommendation if i am ever in the alps i resolve to try aspic! i dont think ill go looking for it here. it must be authentic if im going to try it.
aw you're so lucky that you can just go for a weekend trip to vienna just like that, if you so choose. whereever are you that you can only find yogourt without fat and beer without alcohol???

Well, some health minister together with the food industry decided that sugar / artificial sweeteners are good for you and fat is bad for you (when, in fact, it’s the other way round), and so they take all the natural fat out of the yoghurt and put sugar / sweeteners in it and sell it as “healthy”. You can buy beer with alcohol in it, in special government owned stores, but only during day time, you have to be over 20, and it’s quite expensive. Swedish alcohol policy is of course a massive failure, because everything that is forbidden / stigmatised / expensive is very tempting, so Swedes cannot handle alcohol at all, hence a very high level of alcoholism and hordes of drunken, bawling Swedes abroad. Last night on my way home, from the tram stop to my apartment, about 150 metres, I saw three people passed out, lying in their own vomit, I kid you not, and it wasn’t even that late - around 11:30.

Talking of the evils of the food industry, I can warmly recommend the excellent BBC documentary The men who made us fat / The men who made us thin. It's on dailymotion.

Last edited:
Well, some health minister together with the food industry decided that sugar / artificial sweeteners are good for you and fat is bad for you (when, in fact, it’s the other way round), and so they take all the natural fat out of the yoghurt and put sugar / sweeteners in it and sell it as “healthy”. You can buy beer with alcohol in it, in special government owned stores, but only during day time, you have to be over 20, and it’s quite expensive. Swedish alcohol policy is of course a massive failure, because everything that is forbidden / stigmatised / expensive is very tempting, so Swedes cannot handle alcohol at all, hence a very high level of alcoholism and hordes of drunken, bawling Swedes abroad. Last night on my way home, from the tram stop to my apartment, about 150 metres, I saw three people passed out, lying in their own vomit, I kid you not, and it wasn’t even that late - around 11:30.
oh, haha, that's like it is in canada, well was, until very recently. up until about a year ago you could only buy alcohol in government owned stores or the odd 'cold beer and wine store' (not government owned but usually not a big selection and more expensive). they're now allowed to sell it in stores apparently so long as the store doesnt fall within a certain distance of any other liquor stores, but ive not yet seen it in stores. i also dont ever see people lying in their own vomit, haha. gross. that surprises me of sweden!

oh, haha, that's like it is in canada, well was, until very recently. up until about a year ago you could only buy alcohol in government owned stores or the odd 'cold beer and wine store' (not government owned but usually not a big selection and more expensive). they're now allowed to sell it in stores apparently so long as the store doesnt fall within a certain distance of any other liquor stores, but ive not yet seen it in stores. i also dont ever see people lying in their own vomit, haha. gross. that surprises me of sweden!

In Holland it is a bit different, I think.
Liquor stores are private companies.
Or belong to some big chains owned by AH, or other Wallmart type of stores.
They all have a big selection of anything with alcohol in it.
At any price range. There is the VAT tax of course but still alcoholic drimks are not that expensive in general.

There are some concerns here about the young people drinking too much alcohol.
There have been reports about youngsters drinking themselves in a coma.
Liquor stores are bound by law to ask anyone to show an id if they suspect or reasonably can suspect a minor is below 16 years if age.. But there is a lot of hassle going on with fake-id's.

We're in the top of the negative list regarding alcoholabuse by youngsters, with the UK, Ireland, Sweden and Denmark I think it was. Or Finland.
But the mainstream political climate is liberal or neo-liberal.
Responsibility belongs to the parents but there are many people who want stricter laws and the age limit set to 18 years.
In the centre of big cities such as where I live and where all the bars and restaurants are you can see drunken people and occasionally there are drunken people causing a lot of noise and yelling.
But there is enough police and many times they pick them up when they cause to much trouble for the inhabitants that live in those areas.

In my nabourhood there are some alcoholics in the shopping centre but that is nothing.
I never had to step over some drunks lying in their own vomit.
But I don't live in the centre.

Where I live wine is cheaper than water.

Likewise beer.

I don't know about Argentinian beer but the Argentinian wine I tasted was more then excellent!
I remember a Malbec which had it all and was not expensive indeed. They need to be decanted first or how do you say that in English? To be put in a bowl? To give it the best taste. They need oxygen.
There are quite a lot of Argentinian wines available here. Don't know enough about the variety of real original Argentinian grapes but would love to taste wine from those! You can buy bottled water here but the quality of the water delivered for houses is better!
Salute countthree! :yum:

I think they should save one Mozbot because no one will every believe you existed otherwise.

And one hatebot too! :D
It will be like Noach and the ark all over again!
Why doesn't that surprise me?
That word ark is the same in Dutch and has the same meaning.
And that doesn't surprise me either!
Thinking about a poll of which Mozbot and which hatebot should be saved. :rolleyes:
I know who I would vote for in both categories!
And they would feel honoured in both cases if they won. :brows:

With a mouth wider than that of Dizzy Gillespie and Louis Armstrong combined I wonder how many men James Baldwin managed to give blowjobs to at the same time.

I know Guinness for prudish irish reasons don't measure them things but if they did he would have been a world record holder until end times.

Back
Top Bottom