What label will he sign with

Mike Thomas

Question if no major label wants Mirtissey do you think he would consider signing with a major indie label say like Merge records who have national acts on their roster like Dinosaur jr.? They promote artists just as well as majors. And it would be a good get for merge.

I'd say no, as the other artists on an indie label like Merge (equally, the owners of an indie label like Merge) are more likely to be politically left-leaning and would kick up a shitload of fuss if they suddenly became labelmates with Morrissey.

Rightly or wrongly, he's still too toxic at this point for most labels to touch. (Which pisses me off, but we are where we are...)

It seems to me that Moz is stuck between his desire for the prestige of a major—or semi-major label—as well as his obsession (maybe too strong of a word, but you get it) with chart position on the one hand, and on the other hand his seeming stubborn insistence on saying provocative things and not wanting to have to explain himself.

I would imagine any medium to big label would tell him/his management that Moz must do an interview with a major outlet (Rolling Stone for example) and specifically address his controversial statements and actions (The Britain First pin on Fallon, the Kevin Spacey stuff, etc.). If that is indeed the spot he finds himself in, then I think our boy Moz will be very torn up about what to do.

It seems to me that Moz is stuck between his desire for the prestige of a major—or semi-major label—as well as his obsession (maybe too strong of a word, but you get it) with chart position on the one hand, and on the other hand his seeming stubborn insistence on saying provocative things and not wanting to have to explain himself.

I would imagine any medium to big label would tell him/his management that Moz must do an interview with a major outlet (Rolling Stone for example) and specifically address his controversial statements and actions (The Britain First pin on Fallon, the Kevin Spacey stuff, etc.). If that is indeed the spot he finds himself in, then I think our boy Moz will be very torn up about what to do.
I wish he would re-consider his position about record labels for the sake of the fans that have remained loyal. Please, Moz. Please!

Without being able to peer behind the curtain we can only guess what's going on, but that seems plausible. I remember in the past, prior to his BMG deal, he mentioned being only offered "360 deals" (I believe that means the record company gets a percentage of touring and merchandise) and he wasn't interested. Is that the case now? Is he turning down deals because he can't come to agreeable terms or is he just not offered deals in the first place?

Either. He just has to compromise on this one thing. No one sees him as a mainstream artist, so what's the big deal?

Agreed. I'm hoping his need to have his music heard breaks the stalemate in whatever direction needed to get his record out. Granted I don't know the ins and outs of the music business but I would think an artist like Morrissey who is a true independent would want to self-release. Gone is a record company telling him what can and can't be a single and when, and so on. He does what he wants and goes directly to his fans without an intermediary.

I did some quick math the other day... just adding up all the periods where he's been without a record contract starting after Maladjusted and unable to release music including now... it's approximately 17 years in total. How many additional Morrissey albums would we have had he been in contract this entire time?

Agreed. I'm hoping his need to have his music heard breaks the stalemate in whatever direction needed to get his record out. Granted I don't know the ins and outs of the music business but I would think an artist like Morrissey who is a true independent would want to self-release. Gone is a record company telling him what can and can't be a single and when, and so on. He does what he wants and goes directly to his fans without an intermediary.

I did some quick math the other day... just adding up all the periods where he's been without a record contract starting after Maladjusted and unable to release music including now... it's approximately 17 years in total. How many additional Morrissey albums would we have had he been in contract this entire time?
17 years is STAGGERING.

Pete Doherty tried to sign him on his label, that would have worked

But if he releases it himself, who will he blame when things go wrong?

1998-2003 5y
2010-2013 4y
2015-2016 2y
2021-2022 2 y
That’s 13 years
I was counting the gaps between releases. Maladjusted came out in 1997 and YATQ in 2004. That's a 7-year gap. YOR to WPINOYB is a 5-year gap. That's how I was counting it. I'm fine going with 13 years. Either way, it's a lot of lost years without releases. That's what I was trying to highlight.

Last edited:
The "industry" fascination with ripping off > ALL < Artists and Musicians is very funny. But obviously extremely sad as its been ongoing since Payola.......

No wonder Morrissey doesn't entertain that shit and concentrates on his own requirements and Tours while he waits. Because he CAN. And - thank God - he DOES !

Didn't someone say " if Peter Hook can produce his own records then Morrissey can too!" Well, Hooky produces excellent CD media of Concerts (so far) at £15.99 ish each, they have good distribution (BMG into Stores and online) and a nice online ordering process too. End Result ? Hooky and Band Probably make £9.99 per CD sale. So for 60,000 CD sales thats £599,400 profit. From which Recording costs/studio costs/travel/Accommodation & Producer costs have to be taken off too.

Hazard x

Saddens me to say it but even the proposed title of the album will hinder him from ever getting a label.
As with the Veronica single release there have been several times over the years when Morrissey has indicated a single release is imminent only for it to be pulled for reasons unknow.

There are ways of getting his music out there but I don't feel he would listen to any suggestions.

I’m clearly overly invested or mistaken but the fact this album is exists but is unreleased just makes my depression worse. I find something to enjoy in every Morrissey LP. An album is an opportunity to escape and feel new feelings.

I’d love to hear this thing soon.

Back
Top Bottom