What is your Morrissey vs The Smiths listening ratio?

What is your Morrissey vs The Smiths listening ratio?

• 50%/50%

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • 75%/25%

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • 25%/75%

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • 60%/40%

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • 40%/60%

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • 0%/100%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100%/0%

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • 85%/15%

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • 15%/85%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

marred

I was just thinking that across the car, my computer and the turntable I listen to Morrissey a lot more than I do The Smiths. This has nothing to do with liking The Smiths less than Morrissey but more to do with what I grew up listening to. The first time I heard Education In Reverse (Viva Hate) I was in like Flynn!

First number is for Morrissey. Second number is The Smiths.

MORRISSEY_BOXERS-41517.jpg
f681776aaf891a4801050ff5fbacf61b.jpg

About 65/35 tbh, but the closest option was 75/25z
But then Morrissey has about 4 times more songs ;)

Eh, I don't have a choice! :unsure: As I noted earlier in the Suedehead thread, 85% / 15% in favor of Morrissey.

The Smiths will always be on my playlist, because I periodically have a desire to listen to "Reel Around The Fountain" with pleasure - and further down the list.

I put 40/60. Over the last twenty years, it's certainly been more Morrissey, but aeons would have to pass of me listening to nothing but Morrissey in order to surpass the amount of time I spent in the late 80s and throughout the 90s listening to the Smiths.

Eh, I don't have a choice! :unsure: As I noted earlier in the Suedehead thread, 85% / 15% in favor of Morrissey.

The Smiths will always be on my playlist, because I periodically have a desire to listen to "Reel Around The Fountain" with pleasure - and further down the list.
I just squeezed in the 85%/15% option ;)

I chose 75/25, favor Moz. Quality wise, I think The Smiths are better (which is an unfair comparison since Moz has put out a helluva lot more music), but Moz is more varied in terms of style. And he has a lot more stuff to choose from.

I chose 75/25, favor Moz. Quality wise, I think The Smiths are better (which is an unfair comparison since Moz has put out a helluva lot more music), but Moz is more varied in terms of style. And he has a lot more stuff to choose from.
Same here on the numbers. On a side not I listen to Morrissey more often for me and I put on The Smiths if I'm with other people at say a BBQ or something. I find the Smiths go down better with a crowd that Morrissey's solo stuff.

85/15
i like the smiths music but i just dont particularly like the band. all of them save morrissey were gimpy and unappealing so it makes sense to prefer morrissey when he's shot of them

85/15
i like the smiths music but i just dont particularly like the band. all of them save morrissey were gimpy and unappealing so it makes sense to prefer morrissey when he's shot of them
Morrissey certainly was the one who ended up most likely to succeed.

In the main, I'd estimate 85/15 in Moz's favour, so went with that.
I kinda have short bursts of The Smiths; each time I marvel at some of the beauty which lies within, & also have a smile at the wry humour.
I undoubtedly spend longer periods listening to Moz, probably down to wider scope, variety, & a song to fit almost any occasion, or frame of mind.

50/50 for me, can still remember the frenzied crowd during The Smiths set at the GMEX and still play Smiths stuff every week while having a run.

hqdefault.jpeg

one hundred percent M for me,not that i dont like the smiths just that my phone is 100% M and cant be arsed putting any smiths on it.
hard to put a nuber on it as i come across people doing smiths reviews on youtube just about everyday,that isnt me playing the smiths as someone else is playing it and im only listening.

85/15 for me.
Love the Smiths of course but Moz' solo discography is simply significantly larger at this point, and I probably do prefer to listen to his solo music overall.

I was just thinking that across the car, my computer and the turntable I listen to Morrissey a lot more than I do The Smiths. This has nothing to do with liking The Smiths less than Morrissey but more to do with what I grew up listening to. The first time I heard Education In Reverse (Viva Hate) I was in like Flynn!

First number is for Morrissey. Second number is The Smiths.

MORRISSEY_BOXERS-41517.jpg
f681776aaf891a4801050ff5fbacf61b.jpg

I’ve noticed, from reading posts over the years here, that members that got into Morrissey more recently, will to some degree prefer or seem to suggest through their comments that they listen to Morrissey’s solo work more.

It’s interesting to think why this is. One’s age and if they stumbled upon The Smiths or his solo work first, I think may make a difference. As far as age is concerned, I believe the ear may be trained or conditioned by our environment to prefer a more modern sound ( but not always) and so, may gravitate toward solo over The Smiths sound. And there may be something to Morrissey’s change in direction in his lyric writing that may be more accessible and easier to relate to than his earlier solo and Smith’s lyric.

Or not(?)

Discuss.

I’ve noticed, from reading posts over the years here, that members that got into Morrissey more recently, will to some degree prefer or seem to suggest through their comments that they listen to Morrissey’s solo work more.

It’s interesting to think why this is. One’s age and if they stumbled upon The Smiths or his solo work first, I think may make a difference. As far as age is concerned, I believe the ear may be trained or conditioned by our environment to prefer a more modern sound ( but not always) and so, may gravitate toward solo over The Smiths sound. And there may be something to Morrissey’s change in direction in his lyric writing that may be more accessible and easier to relate to than his earlier solo and Smith’s lyric.

Or not(?)

Discuss.

I think you're right, I only saw The Smiths 3 times (sort of) First time was ok but sound was a bit weedy, 2nd time (GMEX with New Order and lots of others) had Gannon in the line up and it was absolutely incredible and left a lasting impression on me, 3rd time was a disaster as it was the Preston gig where some arsehole threw a coin during TQID and the gig was stopped.

I've been to some great Morrissey concerts but non have been as good as that Smiths GMEX gig for me.

In the main, I'd estimate 85/15 in Moz's favour, so went with that.
I kinda have short bursts of The Smiths; each time I marvel at some of the beauty which lies within, & also have a smile at the wry humour.
I undoubtedly spend longer periods listening to Moz, probably down to wider scope, variety, & a song to fit almost any occasion, or frame of mind.
Yes, Moz solo does seem to have, as you said, a wider variety and a song to fit almost any frame of mind. Probably, along with having become a fan of his first to begin with, why my ratio is pretty much around 85/15 as well...

Tags
morrissey the smiths
Back
Top Bottom