What is this song? in Donnie Darko?

virtually dead

Simply Thrilled, Honey
sorry, there is a song playing in Donni Drko when he is riding his bike at the beggining...does anyone know what it is or can they upload it? :o
thank you...

'Killing Moon' Echo & the Bunnymen. Sorry, don't have it to upload! Is on Youtube etc etc

Thank you...i have been waiting over a year for that :o
thank you

sorry, there is a song playing in Donni Drko when he is riding his bike at the beggining...does anyone know what it is or can they upload it? :o
thank you...

Depends on which version you're referring to. In the originally released version, it's "The Killing Moon" by Echo & the Bunnymen, as stated above, but in the DIRECTOR'S CUT version, it's "Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS.

It's a beautiful movie,
and generally the sound track is great
i feel silly...on friday i watched a thing on Echo and the Bunny men..and went "who sings that song?" :o

I think it's original version..you sound..educated in the movie..i feel out of my league

I think it's original version..you sound..educated in the movie..i feel out of my league

lol yes, the movie is one of my favorites. If you liked it a lot as well, you should check out the Director's Cut DVD. The main difference is they switched the order of the songs and added some abstract sequences in between some of the scenes. You also get to read parts of the Time Travel book as you watch the movie. It's pretty neat.

Yes, i shall..I'm thinking of getting some new films anyway
i'm bored with watching 24hour party people again and again :p

I much prefer the use of "The Killing Moon" in the original version, as it makes the beginning much more eerie.

However, I believe the director, Richard Kelly, probably always had the INXS song in his mind because "Never Tear Us Apart" is later half-rhymed, as it were, with "Love Will Tear Us Apart", which plays over one of the pivotal scenes late in the movie. The difference between the INXS song and the Joy Division song is the exact arc of Donny's maturation in the movie: from wanting desperately to be close to the people he loves to realizing that he has to die himself out of love for them. Furthering the Christ parallels, love tears apart what love had brought together. Fun stuff.

Did you figure that out..by yourself?

Oh..should have known :rolleyes:
frank is quite frankly (see what i did there?) a genius

I much prefer the use of "The Killing Moon" in the original version, as it makes the beginning much more eerie.

However, I believe the director, Richard Kelly, probably always had the INXS song in his mind because "Never Tear Us Apart" is later half-rhymed, as it were, with "Love Will Tear Us Apart", which plays over one of the pivotal scenes late in the movie. The difference between the INXS song and the Joy Division song is the exact arc of Donny's maturation in the movie: from wanting desperately to be close to the people he loves to realizing that he has to die himself out of love for them. Furthering the Christ parallels, love tears apart what love had brought together. Fun stuff.

I prefer "The Killing Moon" opening as well. It's how I first fell in love with the song! It was so unique and unlike anything I had ever heard before.

Thank you for your insight on "Never Tear Us Apart"/"Love Will Tear Us Apart." I never thought about it in that way before. Now I think it fits the themes of the movie perfectly!

Did you notice what's playing on the double feature when Donnie meets Frank? "Evil Dead" in the moviehouse, but when they're walking out later that night the marquee says the theater is also showing "The Last Temptation of Christ". If you've seen that movie, you understand Donnie's visions and how he comes to know what he should do.

The movie rewards multiple viewings...we likes Richard Kelly.

Did you notice what's playing on the double feature when Donnie meets Frank? "Evil Dead" in the moviehouse, but when they're walking out later that night the marquee says the theater is also showing "The Last Temptation of Christ". If you've seen that movie, you understand Donnie's visions and how he comes to know what he should do.

The movie rewards multiple viewings...we likes Richard Kelly.

Yes, I noticed that, but I never understood the meaning behind it. I've never gotten through much of "The Last Temptation of Christ" because frankly, Willem Dafoe as Jesus perturbs me. I always picture him as the evil Green Goblin, and I think his version of Jesus is a bit harsh at times! But maybe that's just my perception...

just one thing and i'll leave you to your intellectual discussions :o
What album it best?
i have "Me, I'm All Smiles", "Ocean Rain" and various best of's
pardon my ignorance

Yes, I noticed that, but I never understood the meaning behind it. I've never gotten through much of "The Last Temptation of Christ" because frankly, Willem Dafoe as Jesus perturbs me. I always picture him as the evil Green Goblin, and I think his version of Jesus is a bit harsh at times! But maybe that's just my perception...

Ahahahaha! Sakes alive, I'm glad I saw DeFoe in that movie before I saw him as the Green Goblin, or for that matter Harvey Keitel as Mr. White. "Jesus, when you're speaking in the temple, and some Pharisee steps up to you who thinks he's David, take your walking stick and bash his nose in".

The meaning behind TLTOC, and how it relates to "Donnie Darko", is that Christ has a vision of coming down off the cross and living out a full life as a normal man. In Darko terms you could say that he lives a parallel life in a parallel universe. Only by seeing a clear vision of his future path does he realize his proper place is to die on the cross. In the same way, Donnie has to realize that his place is in his bed the night the airplane engine lands on his house. He is spared so that he can choose to sacrifice himself, in the process realizing that the love in his life is real and means that in a spiritual or emotional sense he will not die alone. Hence the smile on his face.

Of course, Kelly could just as easily have related his hero's crucible to "Superman II", but it's just a whole lot cooler to bring the big JC into the mix.

just one thing and i'll leave you to your intellectual discussions :o
What album it best?
i have "Me, I'm All Smiles", "Ocean Rain" and various best of's
pardon my ignorance

"Ocean Rain" is the best Bunnymen album followed closely by "Porcupine". Most Bunnymen fans I've known swear the first four albums are far superior than those released after 1984, but that's not really true; I think "Echo & The Bunnymen" and "Evergreen" are also very good.

Buy more of their stuff, you won't be disappointed.

meandecho.jpg

Back
Top Bottom