What is the first Morrissey/Smiths record you ever heard/owned?

It was in 1999/2000 when I was watching a film called Never Been Kissed. Towards the end of the film I heard a song drifting out of the background and it felt like my heart had stopped. The voice was beautiful- it felt like I had found what I had been looking for all my life. The song in question was Please, Please, Please...

It wasn't on the soundtrack though and I had no idea who sung it. I eventually found out and The Queen Is Dead was duely purchased...I really got into that album when I was about 18, following a really tough time in my personal life. Then 6 months down the line when I was working, a Temp started at my work. He and I were both shy but were bought together one day when he put his iPod speakers on and that voice filled the dingy little room...:sweet:

It bought us together, eventually, for a few months. But Morrissey has remained ever since.

I subconsciously heard The Smiths entire catalog long before I was even a fan. My older sister would play their tapes NON stop throughout the house. Id have to say that WDDIM was the tune that sealed the deal for me on becoming a fan. I went a year or so afterwards, sneakily making my own mixed tapes out of her collection. I loved it when she purchased the Peel sessions. Soon as she left the house, I set up our ghetto blaster with dual cassette trays and dubbing capabilities (f*** YOU RECORD COMPANY'S I was getting free music long before the internets came into the pic,LMAO) and dubbed a copy of the Peel sessions, it was the perfect tape for me to play while I was out ridding my bike trying to do some kick ass bunny hops off the sidewalk/drive way entrance. A few years later around my junior year of HS I came up on a new gadget called a Sony "discman" and that started my Moz/Smiths cd collection with "Moz @ KROQ"

The-Smiths-Heaven-Knows-Im-M-434995.jpg

The first one I remember hearing was I Have Forgiven Jesus, but I probably heard the other Quarry singles before then. It was definitely ...Jesus that I first paid great attention to, seeked out and watched/listened over and over, anyway.

I think the first album I bought was Suedehead: The Best Of Morrissey. Then I remember spending ages in a (now defunct) Woolworths, debating whether to buy Live At Earls Court or You Are The Quarry, as I couldn't afford both. I chose Earls Court, as it had more songs.

The first Smiths I bought was The Very Best Of.. with Charles Hawtrey on the cover.

Then it went very quickly from there. :)

smiths "singles" in 2000 and hand in glove in particualr as its the first song
diiferent to the others here i wasnt really a teenager as i hust had reached adulthood then
i have never read an interview or saw a video or heard them on radio neither have any of my friends played their records nor had any band I liked ever mentioned him
..and opposite to the UK/US who still published some smiths articles in his "lost years" nothing was published here..so quite a miracle how i came across
but i saw the covers on a regular basis as i did my apprenticeship in a record store and was responsinble for the indie section...
(for some strange reason i never played them there so the first time his voice risens was in my room)

i still remember my colleguage who had knowning smile appearing on his face when i told him that i will buy it while holding it and looking at it...like this "oh you will looove it. I know you"
shortly after the purchase i choose how soon is now and there ias a light for a mixtape to declare my love in the way of the music I choose for someone
but an obsessive i came much later when i first saw him live..which was pretty much the most emotional and almost religious intense concert i have have ever visit (well then i saw how people really go nuts at a morrissey concert in edinburgh ..speaking of audience reactions)+ but you can never beat the first time..was in a emotional state the following days
the moment alone when he walked on stage and literally light up the room..and all that followed
i bought a few cds more over the years before i saw him live but still hasnt had every record until that moment when i saw him live.and also when I saw him live i have never seen any livevideo or read any book and rarely much articles)before so i was quite surprised when he stripped..;)

Last edited:
Searching through my local library’s music catalogue, I stumbled across a cassette of the Smiths.
Having heard of them, but never listened to, I borrowed it & the first song I came across was ….Asleep……What an introduction to the world of the smiths & Morrissey…..I at that stage of my life it was what I needed. I fondly remember saying to myself that these songs were written for me , they were my life experience expressed in music & written by this genius.

31st of May,1983 around 10:15 pm on John Peel.
Tucked up in bed with my wireless to my ear.Handsome Devil,i think.
Then,Reel Around The Fountain
Miserable Lie
What Difference Does It Make?

It was Reel Around The Fountain that got me,I could not believe what I was hearing. The Smiths stood out a mile then
from all the other stuff on.
Funny to think now,that,at that time,the Peel Sessions were "world premieres".
If you missed it,you missed it.
Would record them on my little cassette recorder.
Changed days indeed.

Then first record was in October 1983:
thischa1.jpg

Never did like Hand In GLove.

Last edited:
After hearing Meat is Murder, I was hooked.
Meat is Murder - First Album Heard
Strangeways, Here We Come - First Owned

The 1st one I bought was "The World Won't Listen" Vinyl LP when it came out. Prior to that I had taped "Charming man" from the radio....

The first song I heard was The Boy With The Thorn In His Side :sweet: That did it.
Owned, I think it was The Smiths Singles.
The first Morrissey album I owned was either Viva Hate or Quarry, probably both at the same time in fact.

Heard What difference does it make when it was released(wow-it was on Radio 1- them were the days) and have never looked back since over a quarter of a century on

I can't be totally certain, but I'm fairly sure it would have been Suedehead played on the radio in 1988, when it was a hit single. The first that really captured my attention, and I can confirm, was watching the video to Interesting Drug on RTR Countdown (TOTP equiv) in 1989. My sister and I were both quite taken with it, and I definitely remember thinking that Morrissey was a band (I was only 10) I'd have to look out for in the future.

I think Panic was the first song I heard.

I remember being awfully impressed with the "burn down the disco, hang the blessed dj" line.

Strangeways was then the first album i bought, on cassette!

My first Smiths record was 'This Charming Man' 12 inch(which is still in lovely mint condition) which has survived five house moves and one marriage! I bought it off a friend in 1985 who'd decided she didn't like The Smiths. So since that year i've bought everything on 7 and 12 inch and cd single! I nearly gave up when Ouiji Board came out but carried on regardless and i'm glad i did.

The first Smiths/Moz item I had in my possession was a repeated episode of TOTP I taped off the TV with "Heaven knows I'm miserable now" on it. I watched it over and over.
My first purchase was Hatful of Hollow, and I'm glad, I think it was exactly the right one.

*Old school person alert*
Most probably What Difference Does It Make....I think my first possible experience of the Smiths was their legendary ToTP performance, so I went out and bought the 7" single after that....it's up in my loft somewhere with all my old vinyl!

My cousin then lent me her copy of The Smiths album, some girl (friend of a friend) nicked it off me and I never got it back....Grrrr!

First album of theirs I actually bought was Meat is Murder, but subsequently acquired the whole lot going forward to this day!

So, consequently, I've been putting my hard earned in Mozzer's pockets for the best part of 25 years.

I shall now retire to my bath-chair as I feel very old.....:D

can you write in large print please so i dont have to use my magnification screen !! My first awakening was This charming man on totp and i was unmoved (i think i had discovered "indie music" after seeing/buying "the cutter" by echo and the bunnymen ) I blame everything on sarah bowers(?) for lending me a tape of Meat is murder about the same time as seeing them on the oxford roadshow ! My first purchase was "shakespeares' sister" 7" and then i worked back from there. I remember buying hatful of hollow at my local chemists (it had a record department) and adoring its gatefold sleeve and its wonderful content - from then on i think i bought every uk release ! it is quite scary to think that 23 years have passed and here i am at 38 with 2 kids almost asleep upstairs (they are not mine -joke) and i still await every new release (after some recent short lived apathy) with anticipation.

I think the first album I bought was Suedehead: The Best Of Morrissey. Then I remember spending ages in a (now defunct) Woolworths, debating whether to buy Live At Earls Court or You Are The Quarry, as I couldn't afford both. I chose Earls Court, as it had more songs.

Funny... I remember standing in a Sam Goody in the mall, holding Louder Than Bombs and The Queen Is Dead, dividing the price by the number of songs, deciding on Louder Than Bombs. It was really expensive, something like $28- 20 years ago. Do you have any idea how long I had to work to make that much money? I just checked and that's about $43 in today's dollars. It would have been a whole week's paycheck after taxes, or two or three long nights of babysitting.

It was worth it.

Funny... I remember standing in a Sam Goody in the mall, holding Louder Than Bombs and The Queen Is Dead, dividing the price by the number of songs, deciding on Louder Than Bombs. It was really expensive, something like $28- 20 years ago. Do you have any idea how long I had to work to make that much money? I just checked and that's about $43 in today's dollars. It would have been a whole week's paycheck after taxes, or two or three long nights of babysitting.

It was worth it.

i recall buying "louder then bombs" on vinyl import in the uk and paying about 20 english pounds for it and that must have been about 1987 ! i still have it and it is in great condition ! I had a clear out about 6 months ago and sold a load of vinyl at car boot sale but i could not bring myself to sell my moz/smiths stuff . It will stay with me until the end of my days i fear and will then be passed on to my kids (poor buggers)

The queen is dead was the first whole album i heard then brought as big mouth strikes again was all about me!
i wish it was hatefull of hollow but that was next :) as in 83-85 i was to bizzy spining on my head! but no leg warmers though lol!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom