What is the first Morrissey/Smiths record you ever heard/owned?

when i was at school. late 80's i used to subscribe to the perception that morrissey was gay so therefore listening to morrissey was an absolute no no:o anyway a few girls who where in my classes for some subjects had their file's with posters of morrissy, the smiths, album & single covers and i used to take great delight in vandalising them:o:tears: anyway when i used to buy the "now" compilations i remember morrissey being on 11 with suedehead and 12 with EDILS but would fast forward them. fast forward to 89 and i heard TLOTFIP and i thought it was boss and bought the cassette single. nothing else until i heard boy with the thorn in his side in march 91 and that was the one. the following month i got a load of music vouchers for opening a bank account. i went out and bought bona drag on cassette, louder than bombs, the queen is dead and the recently released kill uncle on LP's. that summer after leaving school i trawled all over the place in pursuit of the smiths 7"s as well as the few 7"s morrissey had released. i never have seen my old school friends to apologise for my destruction:(

'You Are the Quarry' and 'Suedehead best of' same day. It was a good day :)

*Old school person alert*
Most probably What Difference Does It Make....I think my first possible experience of the Smiths was their legendary ToTP performance, so I went out and bought the 7" single after that....it's up in my loft somewhere with all my old vinyl!

My cousin then lent me her copy of The Smiths album, some girl (friend of a friend) nicked it off me and I never got it back....Grrrr!

First album of theirs I actually bought was Meat is Murder, but subsequently acquired the whole lot going forward to this day!

So, consequently, I've been putting my hard earned in Mozzer's pockets for the best part of 25 years.

I shall now retire to my bath-chair as I feel very old.....:D

Last edited:
Heard: I can't remember. It was something by The Smiths and I didn't like it (at the time). Owned: Suedhead got me hooked, so the first Moz record I bought was Viva Hate.

*Old school person alert*
Most probably What Difference Does It Make....I think my first possible experience of the Smiths was their legendary ToTP performance, so I went out and bought the 7" single after that....it's up in my loft somewhere with all my old vinyl!

Us oldies must stick together :D

First thing I heard was 'This Charming Man'
(When I heard the lyric 'I would go out tonight but I haven't got a stitch to wear' I thought ...how the f*** can someone use those words in a pop song?'

Like you, the first one I bought was 'What diff does it make' I couldn't resist that guitar riff.
I've still got the single complete with pic sleeve (Morrissey pic not Terence Stamp)

Must have been around 89/90 when I got a cassette from a friend. One one side was the entire Queen is Dead Album, the other, Strangeways.

From the opening drums of The Queen is Dead, I was hooked.

I listened to that damn tape until it wore thin. I believed the waverings were part of the songs until I bought their entire collection on CD.

I also remember distinctly cutting school one afternoon, taking the train to NYC and buying Hatful of Hallow because my local record store didn't carry it!

First song I heard was, I think, Hand in glove.But could have been something else from the early peel sessions as i'm sure i heard them all. Used to listen to John Peel every night as a young teenager in the search of real music to escape the awful 80's pop music.
First one I bought was What difference does it make then The Smiths on its release date. Bought This charming man and hand in glove the same day. Haven't missed a general UK release since, Have all the smiths Uk singles on 7" and 12". Switched to CD format from the release of Bona Drag

first song I heard: HSIN
first album I bought was the Smiths Singles. no actually, I didnt buy it. it was a birthday present. my bday was coming up and I was just getting into the Smiths and this person asked me what I wanted and I told them to get me a Smiths cd.

Us oldies must stick together :D

First thing I heard was 'This Charming Man'
(When I heard the lyric 'I would go out tonight but I haven't got a stitch to wear' I thought ...how the f*** can someone use those words in a pop song?'

Like you, the first one I bought was 'What diff does it make' I couldn't resist that guitar riff.
I've still got the single complete with pic sleeve (Morrissey pic not Terence Stamp)

Ere, Doris, pass my Ventolin will you ;) :D

ah, This Charming Man...it's been my phone ringtone for as long as I care to remember (even in old formats) and I won't change it for the world!

Myself and [Gagie] the other half have recently been teaching his 11yr old son the proper words to TCM....it's a song he's very familiar with, naturally, but every time I catch him singing it I have to jump in "JUMPED UP PANTRY BOY!!!!!!!!!" (to stop him singing it completely wrong) :D :D :D

Still, we're passing the Moz legacy on, so it's all good! :D:guitar:

''The Queen Is Dead'' and ''Beethoven was deaf'' CDs, back in 1993.

After seeing the suedehead video, I went out and bought Viva Hate. It was 1988, I think. Then I bought all The Smiths tapes:)

Still, we're passing the Moz legacy on, so it's all good! :D:guitar:

I MAKE my kids listen to Smiths/Morrissey but they seem to prefer Fall Out Boy and You Me At Six.

Kids of today eh? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom