Question What is the first line of I've changed my plea to guilty

T

TMOKG

I always thought it was
I'm standing in the dark
It makes sense it rhymes with heart better than dock. But every lyric site says
I'm standing in the dock
even passions just like mine

To me that makes no sense. "Dark" rhymes with heart better than "dock". He says "it's safer to be inside". A dock isn't inside.

Please tell me I haven't been singing it wrong all these years.

for me its someone who is waiting to be sentenced.

He says "it's safer to be inside". A dock isn't inside.
Having changed their plea to guilty, the accused in the dock is now destined for a stretch 'inside' (ie jail). It's not that complicated. They are offering the reason that it's safer to be inside as one of the justifications for changing their plea.

My Early Burglary Years lyric sheet lists 'dock'.
(Which wasn't one of the iffy translated booklets).
Regards,
FWD.

Dock.

Well just listened again and I'm now with Sugar.....

Anyway, back to the original post - definitely Dock!!!

I'm pretty sure the dock is where witnesses sit/stand when they are giving evidence in a trial. So, given he is changing his plea that would make sense. He's just singing dock in a way that sounds like it rhymes with heart, so, best of both worlds.

And "safer to be inside" refers to going into prison, not the dock.

I always thought it was
I'm standing in the dark
It makes sense it rhymes with heart better than dock. But every lyric site says
I'm standing in the dock
even passions just like mine

To me that makes no sense. "Dark" rhymes with heart better than "dock". He says "it's safer to be inside". A dock isn't inside.

Please tell me I haven't been singing it wrong all these years.
I'm pretty sure the dock is where witnesses sit/stand when they are giving evidence in a trial. So, given he is changing his plea that would make sense. He's just singing dock in a way that sounds like it rhymes with heart, so, best of both worlds.
Yea its dock ..

The two words sound so much alike with an accent. Maybe it's Morrissey playing with words and confusing us. I've said "dark" for years, but I'll accept "dock". :)

MJ could also do this for e.g sounding like he was going to swear & it's a skill making it sound one way when it's another way..

Back
Top Bottom