What is the best Smiths/Moz song covered by another band?

Eurythmics Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me. Annie's voice is so beautiful.

edit: Hate The Magic Numbers cover of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. Just thinking about it makes me angry! :mad:

Last edited:
I just remembered about The Beautiful South's Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now. My God, that is truly awful.

Peter

There's so many - I do like Vision's Stop Me If You Think..., Anthrax's London, Mojo Nixon's Girlfriend In A Coma, Supergrass' Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, The Divine Comedy's There Is A Light...oh, there's so many.

Peter

I just downloaded your excellent collection, thank you! Now I'm listening to the Divine Comedy version of TILTNGO and.. Oh my, Neil Hannon's voice blows me away! I think it's about time I revisited that best of compilation I bought years ago. :)

Last edited:
I just downloaded your excellent collection, thank you! Now I'm listening to the Divine Comedy version of TILTNGO and.. Oh my, Neil Hannon's voice blows me away! I think it's about time I revisited that best of compilation I bought years ago. :)

Neil Hannon is a genius. I interviewed him once. Nice chap.

Peter

I'm so surprised nobody here has mentioned I Know It's Over or The Boy With The Thorn In His Side by Jeff Buckley! Haven't you heard them, don't you like them, don't you like him? He's my favourite artist besides The Smiths, and it makes my heart flutter knowing that he liked them :)

I also like a little piece of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out that a great Swedish artist called Håkan Hellström did on an acoustic guitar on a tv show :)

love/Lisa

You interviewed him? Interesting! For what magazine/show/or other did you do that?

It was when I was an AOL member. They had some kind of thing whereby fans could interview musicians. I'm going back about 6 or 7 years here. I said to Neil "I think you are a lyrical genius, second only to Morrissey", and he said "Guilty as charged". Nice man.

Peter

I'm so surprised nobody here has mentioned I Know It's Over or The Boy With The Thorn In His Side by Jeff Buckley! Haven't you heard them, don't you like them, don't you like him? He's my favourite artist besides The Smiths, and it makes my heart flutter knowing that he liked them :)

I also like a little piece of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out that a great Swedish artist called Håkan Hellström did on an acoustic guitar on a tv show :)

love/Lisa

Um... I like his version of I Know It's Over but The Boy With The Thorn In His Side was a disappointment. It's too slow, it drags. I still love his angelic voice though. I'm sure he'll never be forgotten. :)

It was when I was an AOL member. They had some kind of thing whereby fans could interview musicians. I'm going back about 6 or 7 years here. I said to Neil "I think you are a lyrical genius, second only to Morrissey", and he said "Guilty as charged". Nice man.

Peter

:D That is such a cool story!

Um... I like his version of I Know It's Over but The Boy With The Thorn In His Side was a disappointment. It's too slow, it drags. I still love his angelic voice though. I'm sure he'll never be forgotten. :)

I like them both, especially since the original songs are so hard to top, but I can understand what you're saying about TBWTTIHS! Buckley's covers of some Nina Simone songs are actually better.

No, surely he'll never be ;)

^^ Jeff's 'I know it's over' is pretty damn good. I like the medley with Hallelujah on Mystery White Boy too. He was a huge fan and that makes me love him even more.

Okay, so the sound quality is shite, but, c'mon it's Arcade Fire playing Sill Ill in Manchester - what a brilliant combination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdq0y3GDzbI&feature=related

If they play this when I see them at the end of Jan I'll wet my pants.

What's your favourite cover version of a Morrissey song?

Just heard it, which prompted this thread...

"Why don't you find out for yourself" by The Killers

Re: What's your favourite cover version of a Morrissey song?

Im not sure I like any covers I've heard. I have a cd, where loads of quite low-key bands cover the Smiths, and it's a complete car crash, I can't remember what the compilation is called.

Also, if anyone has had the pleasure (I speak sarcastically) of hearing Deftone's cover of "Please..." it makes the ears bleed.

Re: What's your favourite cover version of a Morrissey song?

Just heard it, which prompted this thread...

"Why don't you find out for yourself" by The Killers
Who had the bright idea of moving my thread?

If I'd wanted to read about people covering Smiths songs I would have started a thread about people covering Smiths songs!

Any chance you mods might pay a bit more attention...?

Clayhills cover of Please, Please, though not a popular cover I actually like it.

I prefer Billy Bragg's version of Never Had No-One Ever to the original. That's my favourite Moz cover.
I've yet to hear a How Soon Is Now cover that totally stinks. Even that one from 'Charmed' has a certain 'charm'. But Tatu & Snake River Conspiracy's HSIN are top of that little list.

Back
Top Bottom