What is The Best Smiths Book?

T

TheCatInTheHat

I'm planning on buying a book on the band as soon as possible but I only know of two (Songs That Saved Your Life & The Severed Alliance) and I can not decide which is the best.

> I'm planning on buying a book on the band as soon as possible but I only
> know of two (Songs That Saved Your Life & The Severed Alliance) and I
> can not decide which is the best.

Svered Alliance is better.. the best though for the whole sub culture.. is Jo Slee's 'Peepholism'.. a CLASSIC book.

Ruffian

It depends what you're looking for. Songs That Saved your life is a great book I use it more as a referrence than anything. Think of it as an encyclopedia of Smiths songs. If you're a musician, you'd probably love it because not only does it talk about how the songs originated, etc, but most of the decriptions state the key certains songs were in, etc. It's all lost on me though. I haven't a clue how to play guitar. Personally, it wouldn't be one that I'd read cover to cover. I really liked The Severed Alliance (no matter what Moz or anyone else says!) It's packed with information. If you're looking for a good, informative read, I'd choose that one.

> Jo Slee's 'Peepholism'.. a CLASSIC book.

Amen! Try to get your hands on that one if you can. Ebay is your best bet since it's out of print. They're usually quite pricey though.

> It depends what you're looking for. Songs That Saved your life is a great
> book I use it more as a referrence than anything. Think of it as an
> encyclopedia of Smiths songs. If you're a musician, you'd probably love
> it because not only does it talk about how the songs originated, etc, but
> most of the decriptions state the key certains songs were in, etc. It's
> all lost on me though. I haven't a clue how to play guitar. Personally, it
> wouldn't be one that I'd read cover to cover. I really liked The Severed
> Alliance (no matter what Moz or anyone else says!) It's packed with
> information. If you're looking for a good, informative read, I'd choose
> that one.

Well I figured Songs That Saved Your Life would be really informative just for the explanation of the tunes themselves, but now that I think about it I'd rather have a good informative read on the band and the music simultaneously. I may go with The Severed Alliance after all.

Those Charming Men Vols. I and II

Out of print but well worth tracking down. Otherwise, it has to be "The Severed Alliance."

Morrissey's Manchester

The other tomes mentioned are great coffee table books etc but if you want the pocket Morrissey & incidentally it's a great guide book, brimming with interesting tit-bits of our beloved & beyond, it takes you on a virtual journey as well as the real thing if your lucky enough to get over to Manchester & best of all it's still in print (I think?), well it's still available in the shops etc.

Grim O'Grady

Morrissey's Manchester

peepholism - a MUST have

> Amen! Try to get your hands on that one if you can. Ebay is your best bet
> since it's out of print. They're usually quite pricey though.

YEah, Peepholism: Into the Art of Morrissey is the only Morrissey-related book I keep on my "favorite books" bookshelf. = )

It's really the most important one to have, of all the books.
Well worth whatever price you'll have to pay on eBay. You'll cherish it for the rest of your life, seriously. Hunt it down.

I got mine for free. : P

I would add "Peepholism" to the two you mention and you will have the Holy Trilogy of Smiths books.
If like me you always want that little bit more..ahem...I would add "All Men Have Secrets".

Songs That Severed Your Alliance

Severed Alliance is a good general biog about the people but as far as song info is concerned there is no substitute for Songs That Saved Your Life.

Any book that actually names the woman who speaks at the end of "Rubber Ring", the original lyrics to "Paint A Vulgar Picture" and the only book to detail the lost song "A Matter Of Opinion" is a must have. It is more a reference book but believe me you'll be referring to it a lot. It's an education.

> I would add "Peepholism" to the two you mention and you will
> have the Holy Trilogy of Smiths books.
> If like me you always want that little bit more..ahem...I would add
> "All Men Have Secrets".

Back
Top Bottom