what is Moz driving at with these lyrics?

• Thread starter Belligerent Ghoul
  • Start date
B

Belligerent Ghoul

And you have never been in love
Until you've seen the dawn rise
Behind the home for the blind.

Mmm. Interesting. It's probably Morrissey just being funny, because he is saying
"You have never been in love until you have seen..." and almost in the same breath he's pointing out a host of people can't see = have never been in love. He really is not to be taken literally, and isn't making fun of 'prople with visual impairment'.

&, I wonder if there is a little French angle on this?, since "To see" translates as 'Pour voir' and the line is meant to rhyme with "reservoir".

> And you have never been in love
> Until you've seen the dawn rise
> Behind the home for the blind.

> from: First of The Gang to Die

I haven't got my thinking head on today, but I guess he's angling at you don't understand love (or life) until you've seen life in extremis, both the good and the bad, and can see they both live side by side. Hence "the stars" (a beautiful thing) are contrasted with "the reservoirs" (not such a beautiful thing)... and the "sunlight" is thrown from "smashed human bone". I think.

> from: First of The Gang to Die

you lot don't half talk a lot of crap, what he is saying is: WHAT HE IS SAYING!!!!! DERRRRRR!!!
You wouldn't be middle-class, and/or American would y'all?
A good working-class mancunian lad like Moz tells it like it is, no fancy-pants hidden meanings or cleverness required. Give up yer auld sins.
..........and so on..............cont p94

I have no idea. Perhaps some commentary on the nature of true love versus lust?

I take these lyrics as follows:

I think the references are all tongue-in-cheek (despite the subject mattter) regarding simple street thieves and thugs.

"...the sun rise behind the home for the blind..." - It's almost akin to swimming with the fishes - a gangster's insult and threat - you can imagine a 9-year-old tough (sorry) saying this to you.

Also "...the stars reflect in the reservoirs..." - Concrete ankle-chains methinks.

I read the lyrics as a pure reflection of the title - a song about small-time gansgsters.

Uncleskinny, PhD (Moz)

Re: Very Deep and Insightful, Thank You.

No, thank you, for the sarcasm.

Anyway, I once had to write an essay on the importance of "le regard" in love. (French paper, obviously). Love and lust are linked closely with sight. Love at first sight. Love is blind. Etc. I don't know precisely what Moz is trying to say, but I think he may have been alluding to this theme.

Re: what tossers driving at with these lyrics?

TOSSERS ALL

Re: what tossers driving at with these lyrics?

> TOSSERS ALL

It's a dim person indeed who casts insults without offering the reason or an alternative viewpoint.

Sk.

i'm guessing (although i'm half wrong about a lot of morrissey lyrics) that its one of those cheesey-in-love things where you see beauty everywhere. if he himself is blind, up from the dark springs a new day...

> you prove my point...........ctid

uh....i think you need to get over yourself.

thanks for your thoughtful responses

Thanks for your responses.

I especially liked this response by JOBY:

Mmm. Interesting. It's probably Morrissey just being funny, because he is saying "You have never been in love until you have seen..." and almost in the same breath he's pointing out a host of people can't see = have never been in love. He really is not to be taken literally, and isn't making fun of 'people with visual impairment.'

&, I wonder if there is a little French angle on this? Since "To see" translates as 'Pour voir' and the line is meant to rhyme with "reservoir."

And this one by DIRK MCNASTY:

I haven't got my thinking head on today, but I guess he's angling at you don't understand love (or life) until you've seen life in extremes, both the good and the bad, and can see they both live side by side...

Back
Top Bottom