What is it that you love about Morrissey?

Heaven_Knows

Help!

Hi everyone,

I am new and just thought I'd say hi,

Last edited:
Re: Help!

Hi everyone,

I have always liked the Smiths but never really been exposed to their music or known that much about them..... well that was up until about 2 weeks ago. I am know on the brink of obsession, haha.

It has been such an a great sense of relief for me to finally hear someone say things which I have felt for years but never felt comfortable talking about. I know that many people must feel the same because he/they are loved by many.

I am curious to know what it is about Morrissey that people love?

Lisa x

Hello Lisa - good to have you on the team. You are tapping in to a rich seam. Get digging.

Peter

Hi everyone,

I have always liked the Smiths but never really been exposed to their music or known that much about them..... well that was up until about 2 weeks ago. I am know on the brink of obsession, haha.

It has been such an a great sense of relief for me to finally hear someone say things which I have felt for years but never felt comfortable talking about. I know that many people must feel the same because he/they are loved by many.

Lisa x

Hello!:) The thing that I'd say, and I think a lot of others would say too, is that his lyrics are relevant to our actual lives, aswell as being extremely intelligent. He is also separate from the rest, he was the first of his kind and any of the impersonators fail usually. His lyrics generally make people feel better about their lives as they are not alone, from what can be seen.... there is probably a lot more, but I hope I've answered your question!

Hi Lisa. And Welcome. Hard to say why I love Morrissey and The Smiths so much... I could talk for hours about it... I just love the way Morrissey makes me feel... Whatever that means...

See you around!!! ;)

Hi everyone,

Lisa x

Hello and welcome. Ok, well why do we love Morrissey?
Because he is not a pretentious fake artist. He is a human being with whom many of us can relate; he can voice our concerns and issues, our loves and our laughs into art. He is a representative of a society lost and hidden away by prosperity and aristocractic hypocrites.

Morrissey is just somebody who you can turn to for anything; laughter, comfort, love, hope...it seems that whatever we want to say, but we can't say for one reason or another, he says for us through songs that saved our lives.

Love PTxx.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for being so friendly :)

I find him totally captivating, I really can't think of anyone who is remotely close to him in terms of his lyrics (and also appearance ;)..... how does he write so beautifully?? ahhh I could go on all day hahaha

I agree with what everything everyone has said.... I kind of feel a bit sad when I hear people writing him off as just some miserable person..... I think his music maybe says a lot of things that people would rather not think about....for me anyway. My experience so far is that people are very reluctant to talk about loneliness or even allow themselves to feel it? I read that Morrissey once said that he feels it is very possible to go through life without ever being in love and without ever loving someone. I think that this notion is possibly simply too difficult for most people to accept and perhaps this is why so many people are on the perpetual search for romantic love. I am not surprised and I don't blame people for this as it is the social norm for us, and especially for women, single people are almost pitied. For me I have always felt that if I didn't feel that sense of absolute passion for someone what is the point? Perhaps if people learned to accept and embrace their own loneliness we wouldn't have such a high divorce rate etc. This is only my opinion.... I just feel (from experience of friends etc) that people sort of make do just so they don't feel lonely????

Sorry for the waffling...just some thoughts :)

xxx

Anyways, why does he dislike Jools Holland so much???

XX

He's only human.

Morrissey once said that he feels it is very possible to go through life without ever being in love and without ever loving someone.

that's a great quote. i think it's a difficult notion for many people to accept because it simply is not their experience. most people do end up loved or feeling loved, even if it is disingenuous or fleeting. i feel most people can never begin to fathom the experience morrissey describes or that probably some of us have lived.
it's a completely foreign world to them. most people never get to know true, prolonged loneliness because they've always had someone there or had someone suffice for the time being, until they're onto the next one. and the next one. and so on.

now i'm waffling...

Is it just that those people who have never experience it are lucky do you think......or are they different?

I think they are lucky, in my experience love always leads to hurt so it would be great never to love anyone or fall in love therefore never being hurt

I am desperately trying not to become cynical, but I find it is getting increasing difficult not to!

:tears:It's Sunday afternoon, conversations like this should be reserved for slightly drunken Friday night/Saturday morning.

Sundays are the preserve of the garden centre, catching up on work and afternoon naps.:o

Is it just that those people who have never experience it are lucky do you think......or are they different?

i'd venture to say their experience is rather common and instead morrissey's/his fans are particularly unlucky.

of course it could also be being different/having higher or more difficult standards. ("im not looking for, just anyone"). it's probably some combination of the two.

things just tend to work out for some people, don't they?

Hi everyone,

Lisa x
Can't really answer that, but The Smiths/Morrissey changed my life completely. Without a doubt the reason why I'm obsessed with music now, wasn't overly fussed before.

Serious question. I meet so many casual Smiths fans that I really want to ask them why exactly they have a passing enjoyment for the band, though I keep forgetting. But I know everyone here on Solo is the real deal in terms of fandom, not just for a few songs written by Morrissey in the 80s but for the man himself, and his extensive back catalogue. So just what is it that attracts you to him?

Heh, that post looks a little silly on the end of the thread... but thanks for direcitng me to an already ongoing discussion. I guess I just scanned the thread titles (this was Help! before wasn't it?) and didn't see anything that appaeared to be what I wanted to ask.

Hi everyone,

Lisa x

Serious question. I meet so many casual Smiths fans that I really want to ask them why exactly they have a passing enjoyment for the band, though I keep forgetting. But I know everyone here on Solo is the real deal in terms of fandom, not just for a few songs written by Morrissey in the 80s but for the man himself, and his extensive back catalogue. So just what is it that attracts you to him?

Heh, that post looks a little silly on the end of the thread... but thanks for direcitng me to an already ongoing discussion. I guess I just scanned the thread titles (this was Help! before wasn't it?) and didn't see anything that appaeared to be what I wanted to ask.

You two asked the same thing, but not many people are replying the question.

Last edited:
Possibly timing isn't right.

When the tour is on, many people hang out with their friends rather than coming here.

Also this site has 12 years history, regulars no longer interested in replying same questions.

Possibly timing isn't right.

When the tour is on, many people hang out with their friends rather than coming here.

Also this site has 12 years history, regulars no longer interested in replying same questions.

But not everyone has been here for 12 years, have they? What about people who joined after the last time the "same questions" were asked, like me or Heaven Knows?

Back
Top Bottom