What is I Won't Share You about?

Skylarker

People come second, or possibly third.
I am probably too dumb to understand something that is probably very straightforward but I have never understood exactly what this song is about.

Is he rejecting someone? Is he being rejected BY someone?

I know this song was discussed in the A to Z thread but I'm more focused on the lyrics here. I assume he is saying "f*** it, if you're dabbling elsewhere they can have you; you're either all mine or I want nothing to do with you" but something tells me it's not that simple.

I am probably too dumb to understand something that is probably very straightforward but I have never understood exactly what this song is about.

I know this song was discussed in the A to Z thread but I'm more focused on the lyrics here. I assume he is saying "f*** it, if you're dabbling elsewhere they can have you; you're either all mine or I want nothing to do with you" but something tells me it's not that simple.
There was an argument in the A-Z thread.
Do you want them to bring that argument over to your thread?

There was an argument in the A-Z thread.
Do you want them to bring that argument over to your thread?
I don't know. I guess I should probably read that whole thread. I just don't really like how by page 3 every discussion turns into a shit slinging free for all.

Well, it’s more reasonable to believe Morrissey & Marr as opposed to Morrissey & Joyce…
Why does it have to be Morrissey and anyone in the band? Morrissey has even said he leaves songs vague and open to interpretation. So has Michael Stipe and I am sure many other artists. I think M has explained the ones that have certain meaning, I don't recall this being one.

I actually agree with you.
My point IS the Morrissey has unrequited feelings for Johnny narrative is more of a plausible scenario than the other fairytale. Not that I agree with either, but I definitely don’t believe the latter.
Well no, why would M even have those feelings for Mike Joyce? Just because M is bi or gay doesn't mean he was attracted to anyone in that band or ignoring that he is bi or gay, the number of songs people want to attribute to being about Marr is absurd really. I know you agree, just sayin........

Well no, why would M even have those feelings for Mike Joyce? Just because M is bi or gay doesn't mean he was attracted to anyone in that band or ignoring that he is bi or gay, the number of songs people want to attribute to being about Marr is absurd really. I know you agree, just sayin........
Are you unaware that there’s a certain individual on this forum, who’s been pushing that narrative about Morrissey and Joyce? I’m saying that’s far worse than the Morrissey and Marr narrative.

Not that I’m behind either of these narratives.

Are you unaware that there’s a certain individual on this forum, who’s been pushing that narrative about Morrissey and Joyce? I’m saying that’s far worse than the Morrissey and Marr narrative.

Not that I’m behind either of these narratives.
I am not aware of that, I haven't seen it.

Maybe it is that simple? Someone wants to leave to pursue their own dreams, the 'narrator' realises that and has to let them go? If you've read Severed Alliance etc then that narrative fits in perfectly with the last days of the band, but people will see what they want to see and some will honestly make up any old shit to avoid a 'homo' interpretation. In the end, the great thing about music is that it can mean whatever you want it to.

I read it as him rejecting someone (that he nevertheless has feelings for), or more to the point, rejecting the lifestyle and responsibilities ("lack of freedom") that would come with the idea of a seemingly inoffensive, traditional heterosexual relationship. Much like the sentiment expressed in "Ordinary Boys".

The Marr reference seems dubious at best considering the rebuffed is clearly referred to as 'she', but maybe it's not that important either way.

Last edited:
i dont bother analyzing songs cause i sometimes think that the writers themselves dont even know what they're about, they just like the bouquet all the words and lines create. so if one or more lines means something to me than that's good enough for me.

songs are not poems. they dont have to have the same sort of internal integrity and inevitability as great works of art.

There is a woman in the song, so that rules out it being about 2 men,
Also, it's completely homophobic to think M constantly wrote these longing love songs about Johnny, who was also a married man at the time and who is not gay.
It just feeds into some very negative stereotypes about gay men.
I doubt many Smiths fans are as well read as Morrissey is and would not even recognize literary references in his songs.

There is a woman in the song, so that rules out it being about 2 men,
Also, it's completely homophobic to think M constantly wrote these longing love songs about Johnny, who was also a married man at the time and who is not gay.
It just feeds into some very negative stereotypes about gay men.
I doubt many Smiths fans are as well read as Morrissey is and would not even recognize literary references in his songs.
The woman receiving a letter doesn't rule out anything.
It's homophobic to think that any song about 2 men has to be 'homo' or to have some sexual undertone. Can't men write about losing a friend?

i dont bother analyzing songs cause i sometimes think that the writers themselves dont even know what they're about, they just like the bouquet all the words and lines create. so if one or more lines means something to me than that's good enough for me.

songs are not poems. they dont have to have the same sort of internal integrity and inevitability as great works of art.
I think that is an interesting side point and mostly I agree but I don't think it applies here

I think that is an interesting side point and mostly I agree but I don't think it applies here
i just wanted to add my two cents cause i was bored! i dont think ive ever even heard the song! is it the song to that black and white video where moz and his dude squad are driving around in a car?

Back
Top Bottom