What instrument is Boz playing here?

CrystalGeezer

My secret's my enzyme.
I was just looking at my pics from the LA shows and spotted this one from the Observatory in Santa Ana. I was in a lot of pain this night and couldn't pay a lot of attention while I was being smashed, but I just noticed this.

14059958329_694a6f4dd1_z.jpg

Its an electric Ouija board. He channels the voices of the dead on it, which he then manipulates and treats through a rack of effects pedals. It's very clever. I'm sure I heard Elvis with added flange coming through the other night.

I don't know but the position looks like it could be a lap steel guitar.

Fender_Dual_8_Professional_Lap_Steel_Guitar.jpg

He's not playing an instrument. He's doing a levitation trick. It's actually Lyn Boorer behind the sheets.

I noticed in the first video we got of the band playing WPINOYB that Boz wasn't playing guitar, and I asked in that thread if anyone who was there knew what he was playing. A poster replied that he was playing a sort of small keyboard. Judging from Boz's motions in the video, it would appear that Boz is playing the piano glissandos, which is slightly perplexing. The video doesn't really show what part Gustavo is playing.

A few posters have also noted throughout the tour so far that Boz has been seemingly getting frustrated because the instrument in question appeared to be malfunctioning in the intro to WPINOYB.

However, none of this really makes sense if the instrument is being mic'd, which it appears to be.
He wouldn't be playing lapsteel, as there isn't one in the recording, and I can't really hear the sound of one in the live rendition.

I can't remember which song at San Jose. It was the start of the song, boz leaned over it and tried to strum it. Boz threw his arms up in the air and looked right of stage. It obviously wasn't working. A guy comes onstage real quick and fixes something. Boz started playing it and all is well. It was funny, watching it, just thinking, well it is the first show of the tour, your bound to have a few of these moments until everyone eats their head screwed on right to make every thing work. Come to think of it. The lighting on the San Jose show was off a bit or not sequence with activity on stage very well. Reading other show reports leave me believing they have got this together as well. I also remember he was making a strumming motion because I listen for the instrument sound in the song after I saw it. Someone mentioned pedal guitar and from what I know of that the sounds were kind of like that. But I could be way off here.

I noticed in the first video we got of the band playing WPINOYB that Boz wasn't playing guitar, and I asked in that thread if anyone who was there knew what he was playing. A poster replied that he was playing a sort of small keyboard. Judging from Boz's motions in the video, it would appear that Boz is playing the piano glissandos, which is slightly perplexing. The video doesn't really show what part Gustavo is playing.

A few posters have also noted throughout the tour so far that Boz has been seemingly getting frustrated because the instrument in question appeared to be malfunctioning in the intro to WPINOYB.

However, none of this really makes sense if the instrument is being mic'd, which it appears to be.
He wouldn't be playing lapsteel, as there isn't one in the recording, and I can't really hear the sound of one in the live rendition.

I didn't hear one that night and I have lapsteel on my radar, it's one of my favorite instruments. It sure looks like it though. I know they mic up lapsteel.

Man, what the f*** is it that Jim is playing? Octo...something. Anyway, maybe it was one of these.

UPDATE: It's an OMNICHORD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boz did an entire tour with Edwyn Collins a couple of years ago, playing no guitars - just a keyboard. So it could well be some kind of keyboard/synth. Maybe someone should just ask him? He's not exactly unapproachable.

Why would you mic up a sampler???? I'm going with lap pedal steel also.

- - - Updated - - -

Boz did an entire tour with Edwyn Collins a couple of years ago, playing no guitars - just a keyboard. So it could well be some kind of keyboard/synth. Maybe someone should just ask him? He's not exactly unapproachable.

ffs, you can clearly see it's mic-ed up in the picture. Same applies as above.

Back
Top Bottom