what happens when your favorite band changes?...

Skinner

RIP The Rev
Recently one of my favorite bands released some new material. Musically it was wonderful as usual, but lyrically there was a huge change. Political commentary took over and now it seems that the vocals are criticizing people who look down upon the government. In other words, a band I love and respect, who has done nothing but impress me musically for years, has now decided to take this political platform, and express it thru their songs. Problem is, their political views are the opposite of mine. How does one still enjoy the music while the tirades being sung, clash with your own opinions?

How does one still enjoy the music while the tirades being sung, clash with your own opinions?

If you'll permit me to offer some polite speculation, I think you know the answer to the question already. The issue isn't the band, it's how strong your own political beliefs are. I mean, if they're ranting about the need for a flat tax or campaign finance reform, I'm sure you can get over that. But if they're thundering loudly about stuff you really care deeply about, stop listening: otherwise, yes, you are caving in.

You certainly do have a good point. I guess I was just looking to see if anyone else ever encountered this type of thing. It's just bizarre to me that out of nowhere a band can adopt this political agenda, and fill their new material with these ideas. It's a shame because musically, they are "the balls". That means good.

I didn't want to mention it before, in fear of humiliation. The band is Avenged Sevenfold. I have said before I love them because musically I think they do perfect job. But I heard their new single on XM yesterday and was left scratching my head. Here are the lyrics...

http://www.lyricscafe.com/hits/lyrics.php?id=1011759

It's blowing my mind how weird this is.

Yes, mind-blowing is one way to describe those lyrics.

These are polarizing times. People who weren't political before are now waking up to what's going on (as they perceive it). They are taking sides, staking their ground. You should respect that this sudden change is probably real, and that these ideas were always present in their heads, if not actually in their earlier albums. And if it's real, you shouldn't mind ignoring their new material.

I don't think it necessarily invalidates their earlier albums. Personally I'm used to bands I like-- minus a few miraculous exceptions-- letting me down with crap albums. Every band has good and bad patches. I'm sure you can learn to ignore Avenged Sevenfold's bad patches. I certainly do.

Regarding changes in politics...I can't really think of any serious cases of that happening. Um. The Beatles? The Clash? U2 between "October" and "War"? Tears For Fears? George Michael going soulful? Dixie Chicks going anti-Bush? I don't like any of those people, really ('cept The Clash) so I can't speak to the experience of having them change on me. In general when pop artists who aren't political suddenly step out of character and say something relevant it usually makes me want to burn my ears off with battery acid.

I didn't want to mention it before, in fear of humiliation. The band is Avenged Sevenfold. I have said before I love them because musically I think they do perfect job. But I heard their new single on XM yesterday and was left scratching my head. Here are the lyrics...

http://www.lyricscafe.com/hits/lyrics.php?id=1011759

It's blowing my mind how weird this is.

Well those lyrics are certainly interesting ;)

I often came across this myself when I listened exclusively to hardcore. There are many bands in that genre whose politics I'd describe as questionable but I usually tolerated them because the music was good, or being a hardcore band, you can't make out the lyrics anyway :D

I used to listen to mainly just hardcore as well. Now a days I just listen to a few hardcore bands. I just couldn't stay that angry all the time. jk.

But yeah I know what you mean. If musically it is worth it, I can learn to ignore some of the confusing/silly things they say.

Last edited:
are they havin a laff? They sound like a cult band well a bunch of cults, I dunno what their earlier work was lyrically, have they taken a massive jump to the right?

On the point of 'How does one still enjoy the music while the tirades being sung, clash with your own opinions?'. You should ask that 'theo wassisface' who comes on here espousing his views which are massively contradictive to Morrissey's lyrics, well actually massively like that band's lyrics you've posted. I think he claims he's in to Morrissey for the music! No don't laugh!

I think if it was me & say it was 'The Jam' that moved to the right, I'd either have to dump their new stuff & just listen to their old stuff, I think I'd get in touch with them & ask them to stop doing the drugs or whatever had messed them up & get in touch with other fans to see what they think?

I'm sorry you are in such a dilemma.

love

Grim

I know someone who no longer supports their favorite band because the singer keeps going on about his political belief which is opposite of the guy i know.

I am a very political person, so that aspect of a band/performer is significant to me. The music comes first, but I have a hard time separating the artist from the art.

Let's say that Morrissey suffered some sort of head trauma (god forbid), and woke up and penned a song called "America right or wrong." I would seriously reconsider my unconditional love. If his next song was "Meat is Miraculous," about the joys of factory farming, I would never be able to embrace it. Let's say he went on to write "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve," or "Vick's Not Sick" then I would just pack it in. No amount of charm or talent could ever overcome my horror at such beliefs.

There are plenty of musicians whose politics I am not familiar with, and I enjoy their music. To be that close to my heart, however, I find that there must be a sympathetic world view, or I cannot lose myself in their work.

I feel your pain - it would be very upsetting to me if someone whose talent I so respected turned out to be a raving lunatic. It has never happened, thank goodness, but I think it would kill the buzz for good.

Back
Top Bottom