What exactly did Morrissey say about Michael Jackson?

raincoated lover

concrete sister
I'm a huge fan of Michael's, and I'd like to know what Morrissey actually said, and they way he implied what he said, so I can make a judgement as to whether he actually respectfully dedicated the song to him or made a cheap shot at him...

carnal artist posted it in mainpage in Troxy gig:

"yesterday -I was walking through Picadilly, and I saw that they were selling T-shirts that said -'the king of pop is dead' - and this next song is called: the world is full of crashing bores."

Morrissey is being sarcastic about the general public and the world media whose reaction of the death of Michael Jackson.

Read between the lines.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of Michael's, and I'd like to know what Morrissey actually said, and they way he implied what he said, so I can make a judgement as to whether he actually respectfully dedicated the song to him or made a cheap shot at him...

Let's hope it was a cheap shot.
Or, better yet, a massive cannonball-sized shot.

The world is full of crashing bores. And a lot of them were at the Staples Centre recently :sick:

hmmmm

Is he saying that Michael Jackson and the legions of fans he had are all boring?
Touche.

It's nothing new.

Morrissey often slags off other big pop stars such as Kylie, Madonna etc.

I don't have any problem with it, it's his opinion.

Re: hmmmm

It's nothing new.

Morrissey often slags off other big pop stars such as Kylie, Madonna etc.

I don't have any problem with it, it's his opinion.

I don't think he's slagging off MJ. I think he's saying that another pop star has died and anyone who can possibly make a buck off of it is doing so in the most gauche of ways.

I don't think he's slagging off MJ. I think he's saying that another pop star has died and anyone who can possibly make a buck off of it is doing so in the most gauche of ways.

I didn't say Morrissey was slagging off Michael, being sarcastic about the hysteria of his death.

I wasn't at the gig, but I took it to mean he was showing his disdain with the enormous reaction to MJ's death. Yes, it's sad- he was only 50 after all and left behind three children- but there's been such a huge fuss made about it by the media (etc) that it's just become completely boring and unecessary. That's how I feel anyway, and that was my interpretation of Morrissey's comment also.

Well, let's not avoid the issue. He is implying that Michael Jackson, his death and all the media coverage of it is boring.

So, by default, if you're a Michael Jackson fan he's slagging you off too.

But does Morrissey's opinion about anything really matter anymore. He's a moaning, bitchy, arrogant caricature of himself these days. Still... some of the songs are still good, eh.

Moz slags people off better than anyone else.Is it not conceivable:lbf:?

The song he launched is full of references to shite popstars. I think it was fairly clearly a swipe at Jacko and quite possibly the furore surrounding his demise.

That said, Jacko was a dirty kiddy fiddling weirdo.

It was just a Moz comment, he makes a variety of them at every gig!
No big whoop

The song he launched is full of references to shite popstars. I think it was fairly clearly a swipe at Jacko and quite possibly the furore surrounding his demise.

It wasn't a swipe at Jackson, it was a swipe at the idiot selling the t-shirt atttempting to profit from his death.

I heard a joke in college once that applies to this. I don't know how it works in England, but in America sorority girls and fraternity guys are viewed by most as being trivial, self indulgent, non-event generating idiots who make an overactive point of celebrating how special they are through advertisement when really nobody cares and it's mostly inappropriate.

How many sorority girls does it take to screw in a light bulb? (It's a clean joke.)

Ten. One to screw in the light bulb and nine to make a t-shirt commemorating the event.

Morrissey was a big Motown fan, and for any big Motown fan the last few weeks have been quite annoying. It's like all the really great artists from that label have been wiped from history and never existed because apparently they are inconsequential compared to the almighty Jackson. In fact, many of them were far more talented and groundbreaking than him.

So, for someone as passionate about music as Morrissey, it's impossible not to have the odd swipe.

Morrissey was a big Motown fan, and for any big Motown fan the last few weeks have been quite annoying. It's like all the really great artists from that label have been wiped from history and never existed because apparently they are inconsequential compared to the almighty Jackson. In fact, many of them were far more talented and groundbreaking than him.

So, for someone as passionate about music as Morrissey, it's impossible not to have the odd swipe.

As always Jones brings sanity to the party.

I nearly threw up all over my knitting basket when Berry Gordy claimed that he thought Michael Jackson sang "Who's Loving You" better than Smokey Robinson-- and that Robinson readily agreed. Please. The event may have occurred exactly as Gordy said it did, but the implication was that Jackson eclipsed Smokey Robinson as a talent. The revisions of history are disgusting ("HIStory" indeed). There hasn't been a single appraisal of Jackson's legacy that wasn't mired in the same slime of sentimentality and hysteria that has marred Jackson's career since the mid-Eighties. I don't care if Morrissey was taking a shot at Jackson or just the cottage industry of Jackson sycophants out there-- enough already! Bad enough that millions of people who hadn't played a Michael Jackson track in twenty years are suddenly filling up TV, print, and the web with tearful tributes, but we have to listen to Berry Gordy sacrifice his dignity at the altar of the most overrated entertainer in history.

And yeah, he is. Call yourself the King of Pop and you're overrated by definition. (By the way, does anyone remember that Jackson himself came up with that name?)

Moz slags people off better than anyone else.Is it not conceivable:lbf:?

Oh, no... No, he can be just awful in that way. I agree. It's just that I don't think he was this time. Not this time.

As always Jones brings sanity to the party.

I nearly threw up all over my knitting basket when Berry Gordy claimed that he thought Michael Jackson sang "Who's Loving You" better than Smokey Robinson-- and that Robinson readily agreed. Please. The event may have occurred exactly as Gordy said it did, but the implication was that Jackson eclipsed Smokey Robinson as a talent. The revisions of history are disgusting ("HIStory" indeed). There hasn't been a single appraisal of Jackson's legacy that wasn't mired in the same slime of sentimentality and hysteria that has marred Jackson's career since the mid-Eighties. I don't care if Morrissey was taking a shot at Jackson or just the cottage industry of Jackson sycophants out there-- enough already! Bad enough that millions of people who hadn't played a Michael Jackson track in twenty years are suddenly filling up TV, print, and the web with tearful tributes, but we have to listen to Berry Gordy sacrifice his dignity at the altar of the most overrated entertainer in history.

And yeah, he is. Call yourself the King of Pop and you're overrated by definition. (By the way, does anyone remember that Jackson himself came up with that name?)

You're so right, Worm. :thumb:

It wasn't a swipe at Jackson, particularly. It was a go at his fave target, why the media of course! Crashing bores.

I had to smile at Cambridge last month when that idiot had a go at Julia and got chucked out. He deserved it but I couldn't resist a smile at the song he played after the Julia incident - Best Friend on the Payroll. Indeed!

Back
Top Bottom