What Elliott Smith album(s) do you recomend?

Skinner

RIP The Rev
I decided to invest in some Elliott Smith album(s) but I know nothing about his catalog. All comments welcome. Thanks.

I decided to invest in some Elliott Smith album(s) but I know nothing about his catalog. All comments welcome. Thanks.

I really like XO and From a Basement on a Hill.

I love Elliott. :) although I can't listen to him all the time cuz all his songs are just so damn sad.

edit: all his albums are good though. he doesnt have a bad one

I really like XO and From a Basement on a Hill.

I love Elliott. :) although I can't listen to him all the time cuz all his songs are just so damn sad.

edit: all his albums are good though. he doesnt have a bad one

Thanks Nugz! I will look into those 2. I have been hooked since Needle in the Hay but am just now getting his albums.

p.s. I am def. NOT at the Khyber right now. haha. lame=me.

Thanks Nugz! I will look into those 2. I have been hooked since Needle in the Hay but am just now getting his albums.

p.s. I am def. NOT at the Khyber right now. haha. lame=me.

oh dude, guess what? so i was there last night and i was looking at their calendar and on Oct 5th (i believe?) theyre doing Smiths/Moz karaoke. I am sooooo there!!! :D

oh dude, guess what? so i was there last night and i was looking at their calendar and on Oct 5th (i believe?) theyre doing Smiths/Moz karaoke. I am sooooo there!!! :D

No shit?! Uh oh. I was supposed to go to see Erin McKewon that night at world cafe live, but I think I'll be at the Khyber instead. nice!

No shit?! Uh oh. I was supposed to go to see Erin McKewon that night at world cafe live, but I think I'll be at the Khyber instead. nice!

yeah i'll be there. can't wait to make an ass of myself!!! what should i sing, hmmm....:cool:

I really, really enjoyed Either/Or and the Self Titled but as the previous post stated, the man could do no wrong. He had melody running in his vain's.

yeah i'll be there. can't wait to make an ass of myself!!! what should i sing, hmmm....:cool:

You're an Arsenal or Vauxhall fan? I can remember which.

I will be unable to picks which songs to sing as I will be too overjoyed to pick! :D

You're an Arsenal or Vauxhall fan? I can remember which.

I will be unable to picks which songs to sing as I will be too overjoyed to pick! :D

love both!

i would like to sing one Smiths song and one Solo song, if possible. something like Hairdresser on Fire would be fun to sing! :)

I'm not a great fan of Elliott Smith, but everyone should own a copy of Either/Or; Roman Candle -- Smith's lo-fi and intimist debut -- is pretty good too.

EDIT: No Name #1 (mp3) from Roman Candle.

Last edited:
Cod, many thanks for sharing...

I'm not a great fan of Elliott Smith, but everyone should own a copy of Either/Or; Roman Candle -- Smith's lo-fi and intimist debut -- is pretty good too.

EDIT: No Name #1 (mp3) from Roman Candle.

Yes thank you very much! I really enjoy his music. Thanks for the info and song :D

Aha, Elliott makes a reappearance in the "other" section. My fan thread never really got off the ground :(

My favourite album is Roman Candle, it's incredibly haunting and has a rather otherworldly character to it. It's an incredible piece of musicianship, considering it was mostly recorded live to 4-track. XO and Either/Or are classics too, Figure 8 has a Beatles-esque 60s pop quality to it. From A Basement... is unbelievably sad, you can literally hear him falling apart on the record, but in my opinion that makes it all the more powerful.

Coiff.

That's interesting, I never knew it was named after a Kierkegaard book. What's the book about?

Coiff.

Well it's basically about two choices of life (one hedonistic and one based on ethical duty) and it contain essay style comparison between them two, and the importance of actually choosing. It's usually considered a pre-existentialistic work.

Really nice reading:)

yes I'd say if you are going to do Elliot I'd suggest the following in this order go one by one.

1. XO
2. Either/Or
3. Figure 8

I was lucky to see Elliot before he passed and have so many memories of that night I love introducing people to his music.

I really suggest looking for some of his performances on youtube like I believe it was the next to last or last performance he ever played. In fact I think the last song he ever performed live is on youtube somewhere, it was Angeles or Say Yes I believe.

let me know if you need me to post some Elliot links on here.

trey

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I ended up getting 6 of his albums. I've only listened to 2 of them so far (self title and either or), and I am already ready to off myself. haha. As much as I like his music, moderation will have to be the key.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I ended up getting 6 of his albums. I've only listened to 2 of them so far (self title and either or), and I am already ready to off myself. haha. As much as I like his music, moderation will have to be the key.

ugh, then wait til you get to From a Basement on a Hill. I read somewhere that he recorded the song "King's Crossing" the day before he died. there's a line in the song where he says "give me one reason not to do it" and then you can hear a female whisper say "b/c we love you." apparently when he sang this live, his g/f would shout this during his performance, kinda like a little inside thing they had i guess? and when they were putting together the album, after he died, they added his g/f saying that in the record. if you listen closely you can hear it. ugh, so sad. :( he's my avatar for now. :)

Back
Top Bottom