What does this great Moz lyric mean?

slyfoxy

Hi. I've been listening a lot recently to the comp album "My Early Burglary Years". In the song "Nobody Loves Us", Moz says:

People think all we do is lie around
And think of how rich we'd be
If we didn't think life could improve

I love ALL his lyrics but this has been staying with me.....maybe I'm a little slow, but what are your interps of these particular lines? thanks!

What I'm hearing is that people think that all they do is indulge in feeling good about not having sold out.

If he didn't think life could improve, he would not have bothered making songs that actually mean something, and in that case he could have turned his talents into making himself rich instead. Or so people thinks that he thinks. Also that he's just lying around all day doing nothing. :)

cheers

Call me right off the mark but I saw it as about how people spend most of their money on things to improve quality of life (fast cars, holidays, decorating etc) and that if you sack all that off you'd be very rich and just as much in happiness or in misery.
Outstanding tune regardless

Hi. I've been listening a lot recently to the comp album "My Early Burglary Years". In the song "Nobody Loves Us", Moz says:

If we didn't think life could improve

I love ALL his lyrics but this has been staying with me.....maybe I'm a little slow, but what are your interps of these particular lines? thanks!

I think he is talking about people who think too much and do too little.
Lifes dreamers, romantics and black cloud thinkers- I am all three on certain days
(this is what Qvist said basically, I didn't read it until I added this)

Last edited:
I absolutely love this song. It may be my favourite ever. When Moz was supporting Bowie at Wembley I was late and didn't arrive until this, the fourth song. I think I puzzled Morrissey by screaming for him to sing it again. :confused:
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/live/moz-g951118.htm

For what it's worth, I think the lyric you're asking about is autobiographical. If you replace a few words with similar meaning I think it helps:

If we didn't think optimistically

If we don't think optimistically

If we think pessimistically

and we're in the 'Misery-guts Morrissey' territory again. Well, that's what I've taken it to mean. I don't suppose it's definitive.

like a lot of his lyrics i think it has a more than one meaning

firstly, a more literal meaning being he lies around thinking that if people didnt waste money trying to improve their life then theyd be richer (have more money).

then a second meaning being if he didnt lie around pondering so much and lusting for a better life, he'd be happier and have a "richer" life/soul kinda thing.

thats what i reckon anyway, and if im right its a f***ing brilliant lyric

Back
Top Bottom