What does the title "Kill Uncle" mean or refer to?

A

Anonymous

I've never understood the point of the title, brilliant as it is.

"Let's Kill Uncle" the film is the reference, as for the meaning of it...

Thank you!
It's the only Morrissey title where I could never work out the meaning or the original refernce.
At least now I know what it's a reference to!

Thank you!
It's the only Morrissey title where I could never work out the meaning or the original refernce.
At least now I know what it's a reference to!

Could you please explain what each of the other ones mean/refer to?

I've always felt it was some wry reference to himself, as it happens, him having been an uncle for some years by the time of Kill Uncle. There was going to a title track, but it was never finished and I can't recall the lyrics that have been quoted in various places.

Yes, "I am a secret gay [wink]", basically.
Hope this helps!

Actually, I don't know where you're from, but in British culture an uncle is often an eccentric or idiosyncratic character and not often really an "uncle" at all - and, yes, quite possibly "secretly gay".

My understanding is that it was also a song recorded or attempted in 1990, at the outset of the sessions for the LP, and while it never came to fruition he kept the title. I think I read that in Mozipedia.

My understanding is that it was also a song recorded or attempted in 1990, at the outset of the sessions for the LP, and while it never came to fruition he kept the title. I think I read that in Mozipedia.

You're absolutely right. I seem to think I've read some lyrics from it, but can't remember what they are.

As with anything to do with Morrissey where the meaning is not immediately obvious, Kill Uncle is a reference to gay sex, an admission that he is a Nazi and a coded message to Johnny Marr.

From Urban Dictionary: "To uncle (uncling) is a slang term used to refer to a gay man's illicit, sexual relations or activities with a young, under-aged boy - especially in relationships that also involve a sense of mentoring/teaching being passed from the "uncle" to the boy. It is meant to sound similar to the verb "to parent" or "parenting".

The word 'kill' can also be used as a slang word meaning 'to have sex with'.

So yeah, it's a pretty racy title, actually.

I had no idea the title was so riven with filth.

Well, the compilation immediately preceding this album ('Bona Drag') was a gay slang, and the album after it was 'Your Arse Anal' (or 'Your Anal Arse'? I forget). So, whilst it's not definitive, I wouldn't be surprised at any sexual connotations.

His mind certainly appeared to be fixated below the waistline, during this period in time. Probably all Peter Hogg's fault.

I can't recall the source offhand, but it's been said he also liked the inherent phonetic pun of the implied opposite: kill un-kill.

I can't recall the source offhand, but it's been said he also liked the inherent phonetic pun of the implied opposite: kill un-kill.

Huh. I've never heard that interpretation before. I like it. (And will now be unable to hear it said any other way.)

Hmmm I kinda like that!

Back
Top Bottom