What does everyone think of the new songs?

I took the song to be about a person who's aware that they're being used for sex and is having trouble coming to terms with the knowledge that this is bad for them but is unable to resist the desire (emotional or otherwise) when tempted. Could be about a man having an affair with a married woman for instance. It's a song with minimal lyrics and could be taken in a number of ways

:thumb:

sorry, it was just my interpretation. So what do you think he means when he sings 'Everything I know'?

I really need to listen to the lyrics in the verse to have a better understanding of it.

As far as his songs go, good or bad it's subjective. And even if one compares new with old, one may like the new better. I don't think his new is better or worse than his older songs, it is just different. I could enjoy both on their own style, merit and how they touch me. And yes, at the end of the day, it all comes back to that voice which is what I think draws most people to his songs in the first place. But I understand your opinion, it's a common one on this site.

It's 4am and once again
I am asked to leave this club in Tel Aviv
It’s 4am and once again
Everything I know deserts me now
When you open your legs
When you open

I see it all, I see it all as plain as day
How people only give once* they receive
(* replaced by if in Berlin)
Soon there will come
The very final pull of air
And until then I will sing** out your word
(**replaced by scream in Berlin)

When you open your legs

When you open your legs

So there you go, the lyrics in (almost) their entirety.
Deep. Very deep.

@Moz - Please refrain from telling us just how deep, ta.

Last edited:
He doesn't sing everything I worry about, he sings everything I KNOW.
And in any case, even if your interpretation is correct, it's the crass image the words depict that I take exception to.
The subtlety, ambiguity and wit of years gone by have been replaced by obvious, repetitive and clumsy words.
He is still blessed with a lovely singing voice though, and in many ways I believe that is his saving grace, what keeps many of us listening.
As for recent lyrics, they say nothing to me about my life, not one thing.

@ Orson Swells - how you can possibly compare these lyrics to Stretch Out And Wait really is beyond me, even if sex is the central theme in both of these songs.

It’s certainly the lesser of the new tracks for me. But while I can see it has quite a direct title, I can’t find it any more “offensive” than Stretch Out and Wait, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, I Keep Mine Hidden, Angel Angel Down We Go Together, Such A Little Makes Such A Big Difference, Wide To Receive, or even Oboe Concerto. This is the person who wrote “let me get my hands on your mammary glands” after all and that's a fairly crass image if you want to see it that way.

It’s certainly the lesser of the new tracks for me. But while I can see it has quite a direct title, I can’t find it any more “offensive” than Stretch Out and Wait, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, I Keep Mine Hidden, Angel Angel Down We Go Together, Such A Little Makes Such A Big Difference, Wide To Receive, or even Oboe Concerto. This is the person who wrote “let me get my hands on your mammary glands” after all and that's a fairly crass image if you want to see it that way.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Here's what I think of the new songs (just my opinion!):

All the Young People Must Fall in Love - it's jovial, got a great vocal melody, and it's funny. Classic, lengthy title and stomping, emotional lyric. Also, it's like a thinly-veiled 'f***-Trump' and I'm all about that, so...

Home Is a Question Mark - ahhhhhhh, it's such a sweet tune. Guitar-playing is magic, and the verse where he speaks is my favourite part of any of the new songs. It feels so genuine, and once again, it's a brilliant melody. Goes to show that unlike on World Peace... where shock was king, he can still entertain with gentility. Not sure about the weird fellatio reference, but we'll see how it works on the LP...

I Wish You Lonely - don't miiiiiind it, but the vocal melody (usually one of Morrissey's strongest abilities, imho) is unmemorable I think. Quite like the plodding, feedback-y guitars though. Think the studio cut will do it justice!

Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage - I think this song is excellent. Reminds me of Morrissey at his snarky best à la Get off the Stage. I love the whole image of the tactless singer battling hordes of the unwilling, desperate (but crucially unable) to leave. I think it's really funny and I love the vocal melody too; the way the title lyric changes throughout is really fun... and that snarling moment with the grungy bass that drives through the mix - fantastic.

My Love, I'd Do Anything for You - I'm reserving judgement for the album recording; the classic rock riffage is really weird and I don't know how I feel about it yet...

When You Open Your Legs - a fantastic melody, and my personal favourite (so-far) of Morrissey's Spanish-flavoured songs. It's funny and I found the Maida Vale performance quite sad for that reason - after all that stupid UKIP shite, I pined for the funny man of years past, and when he announced this to be a song 'about cycling', I died. It reminded me he can be amusing without being shocking, when he tries.

Spent the Day in Bed - I think it's pretty poor. I can't help but think of Trev and Simon, and as much as I love bright keyboards normally, I find the whole vaudeville buoyancy of the thing intensely irritating. The obvious rhymes at the end feel naff and I just can't get behind the whole ethic of the thing. It's not as offensive as World Peace... but I just don't like it.

It's 4am and once again
It’s 4am and once again
When you open your legs
When you open

I see it all, I see it all as plain as day
How people only give once* they receive
(* replaced by if in Berlin)
Soon there will come
The very final pull of air
And until then I will sing** out your word
(**replaced by scream in Berlin)

When you open your legs

When you open your legs

So there you go, the lyrics in (almost) their entirety.
Deep. Very deep.

@Moz - Please refrain from telling us just how deep, ta.

there's no reason to be so hateful over this. I hope one day you will feel better. ta.

Here's what I think of the new songs (just my opinion!):

All the Young People Must Fall in Love - it's jovial, got a great vocal melody, and it's funny. Classic, lengthy title and stomping, emotional lyric. Also, it's like a thinly-veiled 'f***-Trump' and I'm all about that, so...

Home Is a Question Mark - ahhhhhhh, it's such a sweet tune. Guitar-playing is magic, and the verse where he speaks is my favourite part of any of the new songs. It feels so genuine, and once again, it's a brilliant melody. Goes to show that unlike on World Peace... where shock was king, he can still entertain with gentility. Not sure about the weird fellatio reference, but we'll see how it works on the LP...

I Wish You Lonely - don't miiiiiind it, but the vocal melody (usually one of Morrissey's strongest abilities, imho) is unmemorable I think. Quite like the plodding, feedback-y guitars though. Think the studio cut will do it justice!

Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage - I think this song is excellent. Reminds me of Morrissey at his snarky best à la Get off the Stage. I love the whole image of the tactless singer battling hordes of the unwilling, desperate (but crucially unable) to leave. I think it's really funny and I love the vocal melody too; the way the title lyric changes throughout is really fun... and that snarling moment with the grungy bass that drives through the mix - fantastic.

My Love, I'd Do Anything for You - I'm reserving judgement for the album recording; the classic rock riffage is really weird and I don't know how I feel about it yet...

When You Open Your Legs - a fantastic melody, and my personal favourite (so-far) of Morrissey's Spanish-flavoured songs. It's funny and I found the Maida Vale performance quite sad for that reason - after all that stupid UKIP shite, I pined for the funny man of years past, and when he announced this to be a song 'about cycling', I died. It reminded me he can be amusing without being shocking, when he tries.

Spent the Day in Bed - I think it's pretty poor. I can't help but think of Trev and Simon, and as much as I love bright keyboards normally, I find the whole vaudeville buoyancy of the thing intensely irritating. The obvious rhymes at the end feel naff and I just can't get behind the whole ethic of the thing. It's not as offensive as World Peace... but I just don't like it.

Nice review - thanks. Encouraging as I've only really listened to the single which I find OK-ish. Quite like the verse music and the chorus words (Stop watching the nooze!) but the bus/boss/rain/train coda ruins it a bit for me. Good to know there's much better stuff on the album.

In ‘Home is a Question Mark’ can someone help me with what lyrics he sings after “another film on replay”
Like the very next line sounds like he mentions a movie title and actor?

"Hell" with
In ‘Home is a Question Mark’ can someone help me with what lyrics he sings after “another film on replay”
Like the very next line sounds like he mentions a movie title and actor?

"Hell" with Guillame Camet...

Somewhere in the threads someone posted a good read of the lyrics.

This one time, I went to go see Mudhoney, who I really enjoyed at the time. After the show, I ran into Mark Arm, who I don't know personally, and he was such an abrasive, rude cock to me that it put me off of his music for life. He's never wished me dead, written a song about sorrow coming to me in the end, or said that he'd rather eat his own testicles than see me again.

But if he did, I doubt I'd be arse-kissing him on the Twitter.

You would if you knew deep inside that you did something wrong even if you can't admit it publicly.
In situations where I have irreparably damaged a friendship, I walk away and carry my burden with dignity and quiet. I don't moan about it or try to get back in their good graces. Life is about moving on, letting go, and finding peace with and for yourself. I suppose it's a case of him not really having anything else to rely on. I'm not a Joyce basher by nature. He played his part, and it was good, but now he's like that old fart down at the pub who wants to remind everybody that he was something else in 1968.

But at least he got his money.

Home is a Question Mark is just fantastic, and the more I listen to it the more it sounds like a soft and hopeful precursor to Jack the Ripper.

In 'Home...' there is hope that eventually he could find someone or somewhere he loves, while 'Jack the Ripper' give us someone who "looks so tired" and who has turned primal after "presuming too much" for too long.

'Home...' is hope and 'Jack the Ripper' is reality? Or maybe I've just read too much and love both these songs

Back
Top Bottom