What does everyone think of the new songs?

I'm simply whelmed. Neither over- nor underwhelmed. It was about what I expected from Morrissey in 2017 following in the wake of World Peace Is None Of Your Business. My ear prefers "I Wish You Lonely" and "Home Is A Question Mark" (albeit less the BELLS). The latter makes me exceptionally curious to hear Mando's other composition, as there is a sweet tone to the latter that is redolent of Alain Whyte's slower, softer compositions. Whereas "When You Open Your Legs" makes me quite glad that there is only one other Jesse Tobias composition. It feels like a concatenation of "Earth Is The Loneliest Planet" and "When Last I Spoke To Carol" - as such, it is the median between the dire and grand. Boz, as usual, provides variety, but "All The Young People" tries too hard to be a knees-up singalong. For me, a barroom piano is a bridge too far in a Morrissey song. Let's leave that for Bob Seger, thanks.

Does anyone else feel, lyrically, that "Jacky..." is essentially "Girl Least Likely To" with amateur dramatics substituting for poetry?

that "Jacky..." is essentially "Girl Least Likely To"

yeah, posted the other day that I got that vibe because of subject matter also.Love the barroom piano and sing along of 'all the young' and 'open your legs' is brilliant!great dynamics great melody, but, to each his/her own. :)

Have listened to the new songs a fair few times since Monday by now.
Here is my 'chart' (so far):

1. Home Is A Question Mark - a really solid Morrissey song, reminiscent of his mid 90s material
2. I Wish You Lonely - very good
3. Jacky - just ok at the moment, though I sense it will grow on me
4. When You Open Your Legs - ditto
5. Spent The Day In Bed - not my cup of tea, HATE that keyboard (though I admit it's a catchy song overall)
6. All The Young People - awful, there is just no excuse for this song

Based on what we have heard so far, I believe Low In High School will be a better album than World Peace, which pleases me no end.

though i do hope 'all the young' grows on you, I love it ! :)

I do that before the show. I know when I hear Lipsynka I'd better move it. But yes, MIM definitely inspires the same exodus as Kristeen Young's impassioned caterwauling.

always thought that M should have K.Young come out to sing MIM instead of him, think the fans would have loved that. :p

I've seen many shores
I hugged the land
but nothing more
because I haven't met you

I have whined and
I have dined with
every bogus music mogul
no sign of you

I brush and I roll (?)
pressing palms
excluding charm
yet never in arms

And that's why
home is a question mark
home is a place I don't know
home is a question mark
home is a place I don't know

I have been brave
deep in every shaden day
none with you

another film on replay
this time Hell
with Guillaume Canet
for ?

That's why
home is a question mark
home is a place I don' know
home is a question mark
home is the place I don't know

Home
is it just a word?
Or is it something you
carry within you?

I'm happy just to be here
if I ever find home
if I ever find home
if I ever find home
if I get there would you meet me
wrap your legs around my face
just to greet me
if I get there would you meet me
wrap your legs around my face
just to greet me

if I ever get there
do you think I will?
do you think I will?
do you think I will?

How many times I'd say (?)

with Guillaume Canet
for ?

for English me.

The guy hasn't been lonely in decades. Every time he turns around, Damon is standing one foot behind him.

I wish you lonely
If only for one day
So that you might see routine for me
Since the day I was born

always thought that M should have K.Young come out to sing MIM instead of him, think the fans would have loved that. :p
I'd just be happy if he changed "Eat. Kill. Eat. Kill. Murder." back to the much more powerful line "A death for no reason, and death for no reason is murder."
I think he converted many more with a blood red spotlight and resonant words than he has with abattoir footage and browbeating.

I'd just be happy if he changed "Eat. Kill. Eat. Kill. Murder." back to the much more powerful line "A death for no reason, and death for no reason is murder."
I think he converted many more with a blood red spotlight and resonant words than he has with abattoir footage and browbeating.

Agreed. It's the most powerful line in the song for me.

If Morrissey's so lonely, why does want all the foreigners to leave?

I believe rather that he does not want that other foreigner came into England = Protectionism = Not racism
(I haven't still taken the time to investigate on AMW, but who supports at 100% a political program? Not me. And perhaps not him.)

I like the new songs (music and lyrics) except : Jacky, All The Young People.
My favourite = Home
Finally, I like Spent My Day In Bed too.

I've only listened to the songs which are on the BBC Red button and was impressed with All The Young People, believe Jacky will be better on the record and I keep on finding myself singing Spent the Day in Bed due to its innate catchiness. I thought the live performance was pretty good myself (accept I may be in a minority)
I look forward to the album

I was fortunate enough to catch Years of Refusal songs live and Quarry ones prior to their release. For this reason Something Is Squeezing My Skull remains a high watermark of Morrissey's 21st Century oeuvre for me. All the Young People has potential to equal that imo

I've only listened to the songs which are on the BBC Red button and was impressed with All The Young People, believe Jacky will be better on the record and I keep on finding myself singing Spent the Day in Bed due to its innate catchiness. I thought the live performance was pretty good myself (accept I may be in a minority)
I look forward to the album

I was fortunate enough to catch Years of Refusal songs live and Quarry ones prior to their release. For this reason Something Is Squeezing My Skull remains a high watermark of Morrissey's 21st Century oeuvre for me. All the Young People has potential to equal that imo

Yor has grown on me since it's release. I now think it very good where before I was middle of the road about it. Looses some steam after the first two thirds of the album but it holds up well unlike say ringleader which I still l hold in low esteem. Squeezing my skull is a great song lyrically as it's so morrissey. Interestingly I also think of it as the song I most associate with Finn. When I first heard they were collaborating this would be an example of what I had in mind

The Wild Turkey is now A.K.A. The Levitating Turkey!
The weight of mundanity and hatred is replaced by the
greatness of new Moz music.

A few seemed okay. Impressed with one in particular, I need to listen again soon.

They're ok without being mind blowing. Let's wait and see how the album versions sound.
All the young people..starts off promising, then it's just constant repetition for the last 2mins. It's the repetition of lyrics I don't like. Morrissey has had 3 years to write some good stuff and can't fill 3 mins of a song without repeating the same thing over and over. His songs used to be story telling, they'd unveil things and develop as they went on, but they just go nowhere now. Also I don't like when the title of the song ends up being the first line of the song, (spent the day, I wish you, jackies only happy) It's always seemed lazy to me. But most disappointng of all, his songs have stopped meaning anything to me, Who the f***'s Jackie and why should I care about her?
Don't you care about Julie being stuck in the weeds? I hope she gets out one day or at least smokes them.

Last edited:
I am reticent to explore the songs from the BBC performance because I want to hear the studio versions first. Whether I can hold out that long is another thing. My guess is no. I did listen to Home Is A Question Mark once and liked it on first listen. Is that song from the Quarry circa or much earlier? I can't place it.

I am reticent to explore the songs from the BBC performance because I want to hear the studio versions first. Whether I can hold out that long is another thing. My guess is no. I did listen to Home Is A Question Mark once and liked it on first listen. Is that song from the Quarry circa or much earlier? I can't place it.

I think it's just the title and maybe some of the lyrics. Alain said that it's not his music. Said he had a demo with morrissey singing it but this song is credited to boz and so is new and I imagine the vocal would change to fit the new music

Back
Top Bottom