What does everyone think of the new songs?

They suck.

There is no 'theme', no links, just random lyrical garbage & the usual musical mediocrities. Not one great riff, not one great lyric. A title that no song refers to. A crock of shite.

Which sums up the last thirty years of David Bowie's recording career.
You'd be slavishly lapping if up if it had his monicker on it.

SOSB

They suck.

There is no 'theme', no links, just random lyrical garbage & the usual musical mediocrities. Not one great riff, not one great lyric. A title that no song refers to. A crock of shite.

I am afraid to say, this album is his worst. The sleeve is completely ridiculous, the songs so mellow they sound almost geriatric. This can only earn him one thing: a year long residency in Caesars palace. He is starting to fall into category of easy listening and that's not good.
So sorry.

You know, I'd never thought I'd see the words easy listening and Morrissey together, ever. I am concerned by
a review of an album that you havent bought a) because it hasn't been realised and b) at least five of the new songs played - to date - could NEVER (ever) be described as easy listening.

Goto the Hollywood Bowl and then tell me all this again, when you have actually LISTENED !
Hazard
x

You know, I'd never thought I'd see the words easy listening and Morrissey together, ever. I am concerned by
a review of an album that you havent bought a) because it hasn't been realised and b) at least five of the new songs played - to date - could NEVER (ever) be described as easy listening.

Goto the Hollywood Bowl and then tell me all this again, when you have actually LISTENED !
Hazard
x

In the book 'The Nearly Happy Family' by Canadian singer Catherine McKinnon it says at one point

"Jackie was at home up there on the stage, telling stories to people with sweaty armpits and beery breath. She was more at home up there than she was at home."

Also, how did we go from this...

Most people keep their brains between their legs
Don't you find? (later changed to I don't)

To this...

Everything I know deserts me now
When you open your legs

Disappointing really, both lyrically and the message it seems to convey.

And of course it is far superior, I only meant the drums at the very beginning.
Nothing else.

How can Disappointed be far superior when this song is just a poor copy of How Soon Is Now? So Jacky is far superior than How Soon Is Now. Yes, certainly ...

Can anyone else hear a slight resemblance to Disappointed at the very beginning of Jacky?

Sadly the similarity ends right there.

Well, they both feature the drums... but are totally different drum patterns. Disappointed always sounded like a musical nod to How Soon Is Now?

Don't you find?
(later changed to I don't)

To this...

When you open your legs

You must really hate Stretch Out and Wait.

Don't you find?
(later changed to I don't)

To this...

When you open your legs

'
When you open your legs
'

don't know the lyrics in the verse, but the chorus to me is saying... sex/love as a joyful escape from personal problems or problems of this world.

'In your lap' may be to some degree about the same thing... BUT , this all a huge guess from the words I'm making out and a review recently posted here.

'
When you open your legs
'

don't know the lyrics in the verse, but the chorus to me is saying... sex/love as a joyful escape from personal problems or problems of this world.

'In your lap' may be to some degree about the same thing... BUT , this all a huge guess from the words I'm making out and a review recently posted here.

But "deserts me now" doesn't suggest that what the person wants is working. It suggests failure.

'
When you open your legs
'

He doesn't sing everything I worry about, he sings everything I KNOW.
And in any case, even if your interpretation is correct, it's the crass image the words depict that I take exception to.
The subtlety, ambiguity and wit of years gone by have been replaced by obvious, repetitive and clumsy words.
He is still blessed with a lovely singing voice though, and in many ways I believe that is his saving grace, what keeps many of us listening.
As for recent lyrics, they say nothing to me about my life, not one thing.

@ Orson Swells - how you can possibly compare these lyrics to Stretch Out And Wait really is beyond me, even if sex is the central theme in both of these songs.

But "deserts me now" doesn't suggest that what the person wants is working. It suggests failure.

interesting. I don't know..

I'm taking 'Everything I know' = as in problems

' deserts me now' =
the problems I know leave me...

'When you open your legs' =
when he's with the person he loves/lusts.

So to me it seems it is working.

Though it could not be about this AT ALL, I'm just guessing, I can't make out all the words.

It could be a negative too.. if the person is opening their legs for someone else not for him, or opening for some other reason that he is troubled by.

But what your saying is that the sex is not helping him forget everything he knows? Could be.

He doesn't sing everything I worry about, he sings everything I KNOW.
And in any case, even if your interpretation is correct, it's the crass image the words depict that I take exception to.
The subtlety, ambiguity and wit of years gone by have been replaced by obvious, repetitive and clumsy words.
He is still blessed with a lovely singing voice though, and in many ways I believe that is his saving grace, what keeps many of us listening.
As for recent lyrics, they say nothing to me about my life, not one thing.

@ Orson Swells - how you can possibly compare these lyrics to Stretch Out And Wait really is beyond me, even if sex is the central theme in both of these songs.

:thumb:

sorry, it was just my interpretation. So what do you think he means when he sings 'Everything I know'?

I really need to listen to the lyrics in the verse to have a better understanding of it.

As far as his songs go, good or bad it's subjective. And even if one compares new with old, one may like the new better. I don't think his new is better or worse than his older songs, it is just different. I could enjoy both on their own style, merit and how they touch me. And yes, at the end of the day, it all comes back to that voice which is what I think draws most people to his songs in the first place. But I understand your opinion, it's a common one on this site.

Back
Top Bottom