What do you think of the new song, 'The Night Pop Dropped'?

What do you think of the new song, 'The Night Pop Dropped'?

• Total voters
Gave it a 2. It’s not awful or particularly bad, but I’m just sick and tired of this incarnation of Morrissey. I miss the old Morrissey. There, I’ve said it.

Gave it a 2. It’s not awful or particularly bad, but I’m just sick and tired of this incarnation of Morrissey. I miss the old Morrissey. There, I’ve said it.
Same here. At the moment I have nearly zero interest in hearing the unheard songs from BoT or anything from Without Music. These two new songs are lacklustre at best.

Same here. At the moment I have nearly zero interest in hearing the unheard songs from BoT or anything from Without Music. These two new songs are lacklustre at best.
Almost all of the new songs have been lackluster. Very, very few of them even sound complete. They lack substance, even the “good” songs, like Oblivion and Saint. They need more depth, more flesh, more spirit.

Doesn't do anything for me, I'm only interested as it's Morrissey, if I didn't know and heard this on the radio it's not anything I would look to seek out.

if you miss the old morrissey then stick on viva hate or vauxhall or maladjusted,its easy and only takes a minute,

pass judgement when you have heard the completed version and and once joe has completed his knob twiddling.

It's surprisingly snazzy. The organ part is fun, I'm wondering what kind of production this will have on record though. Maybe something like Jim Jim I'm guessing? Synth sweeps and more electronic on the record.

It's an okay song, nothing ground breaking but a decent album track.

if you miss the old morrissey then stick on viva hate or vauxhall or maladjusted,its easy and only takes a minute,

The title of the thread is What do you think of the new song, The Night Pop Dropped, so people are telling others what they think of the song. Why not give your opinion rather that telling other people what they should do.

I like the groove of it, and I like the fact that Morrissey is exploring something which is musically a bit different from his usual stuff. However, the song doesn't really go anywhere, and musically the chorus isn't really interesting or catchy. Lyrically as well it doesn't really seem to be saying anything particularly interesting. I don't hate it - it's certainly not bad, but neither is it particularly good either - it's as straight down the line average as they come. I'd give it a 6 out of 10, slightly edging it from a 5 for the musical groove and Morrissey's voice sounds nice, even if what he's saying isn't of any interest.

That said, Chiccarelli has show in the past that he can work some production magic and breath life into some very average material, so there's every chance the studio version could turn out to be sonically interesting, and I'd bump this up to a 7 out of 10.

The title of the thread is What do you think of the new song, The Night Pop Dropped, so people are telling others what they think of the song. Why not give your opinion rather that telling other people what they should do.

We all know his opinion. He loves every single noise Moz has ever put on wax and he despises anyone who has a critical thought about anything Moz has ever done. It’s an easy life, I bet.

then why did gregory peck say he misses the old morrissey,the thread is about the new song.i gave my opinion in the vote above.

It's surprisingly snazzy. The organ part is fun, I'm wondering what kind of production this will have on record though. Maybe something like Jim Jim I'm guessing? Synth sweeps and more electronic on the record.

I sure hope not. He needs to leave that electro-industrial phase behind him. The way it sounds live suggests it could be given a guitar-driven 70s California funk-rock treatment in the studio, like Warren Zevon's Nighttime in the Switching Yard or the Eagles' Life in the Fast Lane, far from high art but pretty catchy. I agree with you that it's "snazzy" with a "fun organ part." It doesn't quite knock my socks off, though, so hopefully it'll sound better on record. The vocal melody of the inane title line does get stuck in one's head.

The only thing I don't like about this track, is the way it starts. Kicking off with the 'moogy' funky organ is a mistake, and gives it a weak start point. He should have gone straight in with the guitar section. Yet, credit due, I really do like the funky keyboard section midway.

I have a similar problem with Jim Jim Falls regarding a poor start; it's just sludgy & muddy, and ruins the track for me, & probably the reason why I've never taken to JJF at all.

Back
Top Bottom