Poll What do you think of the new Morrissey single, 'Bobby, don't you think they know?'

What do you think of the new Morrissey single, 'Bobby, don't you think they know?'

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

What do you think of the new Morrissey single, 'Bobby, don't you think they know?'

Great f***ing record.

Don't compare it to yesterdays work. That was then. Yesterday doesn't even exist anymore to those without a time machine.

I mean, can you really compare Love Me Do to I Want You?

I am conflicted about it. The first listen was really good, because the new musical direction and Houston's vocals sounded surprising and fresh. But the more I listen to it, the flaws become more annoying. For a six minute song it doesn't really go anywhere and the lyrics don't really seem like the work of a lyricist of his enermous talent. They are hard to make out and when you do or google them, they are even harder to decipher. Is all that gobbledegook some kind of drug slang? Yesterday, while running, I listened to Ringleader of the Tormentors, never my Morrissey album, but it now seemed fresh and full of charm. His old records seem to ooze that, charm, and that's what is sadly in short supply these days.

That's why I voted 3/5, even though this definitely isn't "an averge Morrissey song".

I am conflicted about it. The first listen was really good, because the new musical direction and Houston's vocals sounded surprising and fresh. But the more I listen to it, the flaws become more annoying. For a six minute song it doesn't really go anywhere and the lyrics don't really seem like the work of a lyricist of his enermous talent. They are hard to make out and when you do or google them, they are even harder to decipher. Is all that gobbledegook some kind of drug slang? Yesterday, while running, I listened to Ringleader of the Tormentors, never my Morrissey album, but it now seemed fresh and full of charm. His old records seem to ooze that, charm, and that's what is sadly in short supply these days.

That's why I voted 3/5, even though this definitely isn't "an averge Morrissey song".

Well said. In the past, Morrissey could lift an average Chuck rock tune to a higher level. That is no longer the case, so the only viable option for him now is to go for a more expensive and adventurous musical sound. imo.

Great f***ing record.

Don't compare it to yesterdays work. That was then. Yesterday doesn't even exist anymore to those without a time machine.

Paul McCartney once called "God Only Knows" "The greatest song ever written."

How many threads on this song do we need? I think I'll make a poll about that.

Four out of five. In terms of lyrics sure it’s not making me cry or saving my life but I do like the use slang and language and how the meaning of the words is a bit mysterious but not really kinda like this guys attempts to hide his secret. In terms of the vocal Melody I think it’s great with a lot of pull and swing. Musically pretty cool as well. I like the vibe and the rhythm

I think his voice is the best it’s ever been.
The music is rich and adventurous.
I really like Thelma on this track too.
So really good, 4/5 it is for me.
Looking forward to the album.

It's been analysed in another thread:

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...eeve-revealed.145433/page-22#post-1987244252;

general consensus, it's about Bobby Hatfield (Righteous Brothers) & his drug problems...& subsequent death as a result of them.
I personally think the multiple drug references in the lyrics are a bit over done, & suggest (to me anyway) the guy had a huge drug problem, although the evidence I've seen seems a bit scant & doesn't actually elaborate on the magnitude of the problem.
I love the song, I've gone for 4/5.

Last edited by a moderator:
impressive analyses.

i personally think it is a very funny song. for those moments in life, when we go through emotions, it also offers another layer of connection.

the gobbledegook drug slang, as it was called above, is the "insider" language bobby uses when he talks about drugs in order to sound swag and secretive. at least, that's what he thinks he sounds like. nobody else does. he seems to be a dopey idiot unable to think clearly any longer. "bobby, dont you think they know" is more of a rhetorical question with the lyrical i trying to offer some help but also seeing the pointlessness in this effort given bobby's already diminished mental faculties.

the line "i know you're tortured down below" sounds to me like the singer tries to show sympathy for bobby suffering not only from mental but also gastrointestinal problems, a physical side effect of heroin and cocaine use.

the more i listen to the song, the funnier it gets... with all the tragedy unfurling. poor bobby.

5/5 lanterns :):):):):)

i think the "slang junkie" part in "bobby" is ironically alluding to the "drill instructor/high-performance" part in "university":

Crammin', jammin', pack-em-in rammin' Chock-a-block box, power study, polish up.

furthermore, musically the song reminds me of "please remember", one of my favorite moz tracks, inasmuch as there is a similar obscure despondency hidden beneath the surface.

the distance between the singer and his subject is wider, i.e. healthier, in "bobby" though, i find.

This comparison doesn't really hold water imho. When the Beatles evolved from 'love me do' to 'abbey road' it wasn't just their own sound the Beatles were evolving but the sound of popular music in general. They were at the forefront of musical innovation. As for Morrissey, he was never a musical innovator to begin with and that was never his appeal. His appeal was a specific style and staying true to it.

And yes, he is mixing it up now (some would say diluting it), but not in any innovative way. If I want to hear a diva belting out "Lord have mercy UHUH" or long drawn out organ solos there is a treasure trove of sixties and seventies music i'd rather listen to than the unholy abomination that is Morrissey's new single.

I listened to it twice through. Apart from a few laughs, not very memorable or catchy. I’m not compelled to listen to it again. 2/5

impressive analyses.

i personally think it is a very funny song. for those moments in life, when we go through emotions, it also offers another layer of connection.

the gobbledegook drug slang, as it was called above, is the "insider" language bobby uses when he talks about drugs in order to sound swag and secretive. at least, that's what he thinks he sounds like. nobody else does. he seems to be a dopey idiot unable to think clearly any longer. "bobby, dont you think they know" is more of a rhetorical question with the lyrical i trying to offer some help but also seeing the pointlessness in this effort given bobby's already diminished mental faculties.

the line "i know you're tortured down below" sounds to me like the singer tries to show sympathy for bobby suffering not only from mental but also gastrointestinal problems, a physical side effect of heroin and cocaine use.

the more i listen to the song, the funnier it gets... with all the tragedy unfurling. poor bobby.

5/5 lanterns :):):):):)

Couldn't the tortured down below refer to BH in his grave, spritually full of regret & in spiritual mental torture re; the drugs thing, his death & how he just messed up his own life, & that of others?

Couldn't the tortured down below refer to BH in his grave, spritually full of regret & in spiritual mental torture re; the drugs thing, his death & how he just messed up his own life, & that of others?
sounds good, hell being everywhere, even in your after-life. as always, there is no monopoly of interpretation, and the "common consensus" here on this board is nothing i feel very comfortable with.
have you ever tried "bobby and whitney"?

sounds good, hell being everywhere, even in your after-life. as always, there is no monopoly of interpretation, and the "common consensus" here on this board is nothing i feel very comfortable with.
have you ever tried "bobby and whitney"?

I'm done with the analysis tbh, it's just a (good) song which had me curious as to who/when etc (as is the case with all Moz's songs)....there was some ppl linking 'tortured down below' with 'sexuality' but I don't go for that; the only torture I could see that relating to was if BH was/had been gay & he had spent his life regretting either being outed, or not coming out at all, therefore never being fulfilled, ergo 'tortured'. I have no idea if he was gay, or not. So, now I'm done pondering, I have a good enough grasp of who it's about, so that'll do for me. No more paralysis through over-analysis.

"have you ever tried "bobby and whitney"? Not sure what you mean here, but it might be connected to my initial thoughts where I did, fleetingly, think it might have been connected to Whitney Houston & her relationship with bobby brown; the drugs thing fitted, so did the gay thing, but other commentators persuaded me that was a blind alley, & that BH was the subject matter & aligned more closely, especially given Moz's liking of BH, shown through the references to Autobiography, et al.

I'm done with the analysis tbh, it's just a (good) song which had me curious as to who/when etc (as is the case with all Moz's songs)....there was some ppl linking 'tortured down below' with 'sexuality' but I don't go for that; the only torture I could see that relating to was if BH was/had been gay & he had spent his life regretting either being outed, or not coming out at all, therefore never being fulfilled, ergo 'tortured'. I have no idea if he was gay, or not. So, now I'm done pondering, I have a good enough grasp of who it's about, so that'll do for me. No more paralysis through over-analysis.

"have you ever tried "bobby and whitney"? Not sure what you mean here, but it might be connected to my initial thoughts where I did, fleetingly, think it might have been connected to Whitney Houston & her relationship with bobby brown; the drugs thing fitted, so did the gay thing, but other commentators persuaded me that was a blind alley, & that BH was the subject matter & aligned more closely, especially given Moz's liking of BH, shown through the references to Autobiography, et al.
Screenshot_20200112-193816.png

houston...

Back
Top Bottom