What do you think of the 2009 setlist?

What do you think of the 2009 setlist?

• Total voters
i'm really surprised at the outcome of this poll. thought a lot more people would be really disappointed.

For me its a bit of a disappointment. I would say however that the set in the USA may be a bit different from the to be played int he UK. Since 2002 when Moz had no record company and played the most awesome set (Even though it was only 17 songs), I have been slightly disappointed. (See passionsjustlike mine site Blackburn 2002) for detail and you will see what I mean!

Having attended the Roundhouse last year before it got cancelled, I dont particulalrly want to hear the loop or WDYFOFY again as they were both played there. How can anybody possibly know how I feel is not my cup of tea and I have seen FOTG and IBEH everytime I have seen him since 2002 when he first did these. Ask was also played last year too.

I can sort of understand why he plays some of them every time along with HSIN as they are crowd pleasers and every other band play there crowd pleasers at all gigs so I will have to accept that I suppose.

The biggest disappointment for me is the lack of coverage from 1988-1995.

Kill uncle may not have been his finest hour but Mute Witness was a great song live. Interesting Drug was brought out in the USA in 2007 and then put back again after 2 gigs or so. I would love to hear that in the UK.

Speedway hasnt been played since 2002 as far as I know yet remains one of his strongest songs.

I love we hate it when our friends become succesful yet this hasnt seen the light since Boxers tour as far as I can see.

Suedehead has hardly been out since 2002 either and this is the song that started it all off.

The song choice from the new album is good and This charming man is an interesting addition but other than that its a bit lacklustre for me.

I personally think it`s brilliant.I love that Morrissey is singing Seasick Yet Still Docked.It`one of my all time favorites.And this charming man.What more needs to be said?

CAROL. WHY ISN'T HE PLAYING CAROL? It's my favorite track of Years of Refusal. I can't stop playing it. I'd give anything to hear it live.

could it be a matter of traveling with a brass section? If I'm not mistaken he used brass instruments last time he toured

CAROL. WHY ISN'T HE PLAYING CAROL? It's my favorite track of Years of Refusal. I can't stop playing it. I'd give anything to hear it live.

could it be a matter of traveling with a brass section? If I'm not mistaken he used brass instruments last time he toured

I know, haha, my two favorites on YOR ( birthday being the other ) and he is not playing them.Oh well...

WTF is he thinking playing The Loop

I think this is one of the highlights and I'm thrilled that he has brought it back for another tour. I think many people love this one live.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the setlist. Mostly because he's promoting YOR which I thought was a huge letdown. The highlights for me will be "Charming Man", and "HSIN' (ALWAYS.), then "FOTG", and "Irish Blood."
It's a pretty boring setlist. I really wish he'd include "Everyday is like Sunday", "International Playboys", "Hairdresser on Fire", or more rare treats like "Piccadilly Palare", the cover of "No one can hold a Candle to You", or maybe "Roy's Keen." (It's a CRIME this was dropped from the Maladjusted reissue.) I have serious misgivings about this show. Also I think this is one of his worst opening bands. I'd love it if he could bring back Tiger Army, they're awesome, I wouldn't mind seeing Kristeen Young again, either, i actually liked her, but I think the Courteeners are total crap. I'm debating showing up late to miss they're set even though it will mean I'll be stuck in the back. Lose-lose situation. :mad:

he is now playing Carol, at least he did on the last show.
good news as it is indeed a great song...

If he can play, "That's How People Grow Up" without Kristeen Young, he can play, "When Last I Spoke to Carol" without an entire brass section. Is this new pianist a multi-instrumentalist like Mike Farrell was? Does he play trumpet? Anyhow, "Carol" made it into the most recent (Carnegie Hall) show.

I heartily agree w/ bored that First of the Gang, Let Me Kiss You, Crashing Bores, and How Could Anyone Know How I Feel? could absolutely go and I wouldn't miss 'em. AND that The Loop is one of the band's best live songs. I am thrilled it is still in this tour's sets.

I am happy w/ the old songs that have been added, but there are some older, crowd-pleasing songs that aren't in this set (National Front Disco, anyone?), which kind of surprises me.

I don't know. . .I'm looking forward to seeing him tomorrow night but I do wish the set were a bit different. Seasick and This Charming Man will be cool to hear live. I'm sure I'll be plenty pleased, after the fact. . .need to stop setting myself up for disappointment!

A Moz gig is like a pizza--even when it's bad, it's still pretty damn good.

--jeniphir

There's Something Amiss With The Setlist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's essentially the same set he was playing last summer. Something is very off regarding his song choices. If this has been noted before, sorry, I don't drool over the forums as much as I used to, but hey. I defer to the hardcore amongst ye...

The record has been out for a month, the tour has been going for weeks...yet he is barely playing half of it live? On a tour to support the album???

My guess is that in the year plus that it sat in limbo, it had time to age properly in his head, and by the relase date, he wasn't as jazzed about the songs as he had been a year earlier. If you notice, the songs from the album he IS playing live are the handful of actually GOOD songs. Remember, when he recorded the LP, he was fresh off the massive Ringleader/Greatest Hits tour...he probably felt extremely close to the band, had a lot of adrenaline from playing live...these things probably superceded, in his head, the actual strength of the record. But now, in hindsight, he realizes the songs weren't that great. Not awful, but just...not worth singing every night. I mean, Ringleader was really good, although not his strongest ever, but even THAT album got the shit toured out of it, almost every track. He even toured some of the b-sides!

This theory of Morrissey's retro-dissatisfaction with the album would also explain why no leftover b-sides are on the new single, if the Skull story is true. Maybe he really is just going through the motions with this album promotion. I thought the Paris b-sides were better than half of YOR...but maybe the rest of the stuff in the can just isn't releasable. Although the Bully song intrigues me....

I am NOT slagging him off, and Years of Refusal is...OK...but it is NOT a strong record. Opinions differ, yes, but I'd truly challenge anyone to really tell me YOR is a solid record. Anyway, be that as it may...when you are touring behind an album and only play a handful of its tracks...something is up.

There's Something Amiss With The Setlist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's essentially the same set he was playing last summer. Something is very off regarding his song choices. If this has been noted before, sorry, I don't drool over the forums as much as I used to, but hey. I defer to the hardcore amongst ye...

The record has been out for a month, the tour has been going for weeks...yet he is barely playing half of it live? On a tour to support the album???

My guess is that in the year plus that it sat in limbo, it had time to age properly in his head, and by the relase date, he wasn't as jazzed about the songs as he had been a year earlier. If you notice, the songs from the album he IS playing live are the handful of actually GOOD songs. Remember, when he recorded the LP, he was fresh off the massive Ringleader/Greatest Hits tour...he probably felt extremely close to the band, had a lot of adrenaline from playing live...these things probably superceded, in his head, the actual strength of the record. But now, in hindsight, he realizes the songs weren't that great. Not awful, but just...not worth singing every night. I mean, Ringleader was really good, although not his strongest ever, but even THAT album got the shit toured out of it, almost every track. He even toured some of the b-sides!

This theory of Morrissey's retro-dissatisfaction with the album would also explain why no leftover b-sides are on the new single, if the Skull story is true. Maybe he really is just going through the motions with this album promotion. I thought the Paris b-sides were better than half of YOR...but maybe the rest of the stuff in the can just isn't releasable. Although the Bully song intrigues me....

I am NOT slagging him off, and Years of Refusal is...OK...but it is NOT a strong record. Opinions differ, yes, but I'd truly challenge anyone to really tell me YOR is a solid record. Anyway, be that as it may...when you are touring behind an album and only play a handful of its tracks...something is up.

Nice post. I'm of the belief that things are over between Moz and Decca. He wants to move on, period. He's keeping the unreleased material and shopping for a new deal. That seems logical to me because your observations are correct: the promotion of this album is incoherent. He does TV appearances and performs songs that aren't the singles he's trying to chart, I mean does anyone in the Decca/Morrissey camps talk to one another?:confused:

Tags
emma bores emma rules!
Back
Top Bottom