What do you think Morrissey or Johnny are worth?

kissmyshadestoo

Nobody ever looks at me twice
I was thinking about this the other day.....after the court case and all....I wonder what Morrissey or Johnny are worth?

I mean Mike won 1 million pounds in the court case....

Thoughts?

I'd imagine they're both very wealthy. Morrissey even more so than Marr.

I think Johnny should be worth more though, he wrote the The Smiths music after all...Would have Morrissey got famous without Johnny Marr and his good jangly rhythm? probably not since The Smiths ended when Johnny Marr left.

I think Johnny should be worth more though, he wrote the The Smiths music after all...Would have Morrissey got famous without Johnny Marr and his good jangly rhythm? probably not since The Smiths ended when Johnny Marr left.

I have one answer to this: Boomslang.

The reason The Smiths were so adored went frankly beyond the words and the music. Morrissey opened up his entire world to us: books, records and films. He projected an aesthetic that hasn't been seen before or since in popular music.

From the hearing aid, to the flowers in his back pocket, to the NHS glasses to the cover sleeves, The Smiths were more than just a band, they were a way of life.

If you think Johnny (or any other Smith) had anything to do with that you are crazy.

Does anyone else find it incredibly depressing that Rourke was on welfare for years after The Smiths broke up?

I disagree, although I think Morrissey's lyrics and his performance was amazing. I think Johnny, Andy and Mike contributed to The Smiths much more....Johnny made Morrissey famous with his guitar riffs, Morrissey would NEVER have got an amazing riff on Still Ill or This Charming Man to start his career. Andy made the best bass lines in This Charming Man, Barbarism Begins at home etc and Mike is an amazing drummer, examples are in their live performances, everyone knew the drum rhythm to Queen Is Dead. I think everyone knows that The Smiths would beat Morrissey's solo career

People who think The Smiths made a massive impact because of Johnny's jangle and Andy's basslines probably weren't born at the time. There's a reason why most Smiths interviews were done by Morrissey.

Are we just presuming Morrissey is worth more because we are on a Morrissey forum where some of his most devout fans contribute?

because Marr has played part in many artist albums since the years of The Smiths i have a feeling they are worth equal amounts

I was thinking about this after attending The Cribs show last week. Tickets were $20 each. The Bowery Ballroom supposedly seats 550 people. That's $11000 total take. Dividing by 4 band members that's $2750 each. And that's BEFORE the venue takes their cut and they pay their crew, any booking fees, travel expenses, etc.

So thinking about The Smiths back in the day, they really weren't playing HUGE venues. I know that Morrissey/Marr made more due to songwriting etc. but I was just wondering how much all of the band made over time.

I would think Morrissey would be tops in revenue because he has been touring more, followed by Marr followed by Mike then Andy.

MyDoppelganger - I do find it sad that Andy was struggling financially....I hear he is DJ'ing in NYC.....even that can't be too high paying of a gig.

Last edited:
I bet Marr's got a fair bit, that's if he gets royalties for the Smiths, Electronic, Cribs and Modest Mouse..

plus he's the professor of Salford Uni's music dept.

I bet Marr's got a fair bit, that's if he gets royalties for the Smiths, Electronic, Cribs and Modest Mouse..

plus he's the professor of Salford Uni's music dept.
he'd be better off waiting tables than surviving on a Professorial salary. Good job he has the royalties coming in!

A package of Jaffa Cakes.

Fi Dolla each

Back
Top Bottom