What difference does it make?

Sicy

Smother Me Mother
Question about this song.

The version on Hatful of Hollow is different from the version on the Singles album. What's the story behind this? And which version do you prefer?

well as I understand they (Smiths) had recorded it for the troy tate version and when they were working with John Porter he wanted to change it up to suit him there was divisions as to how the song would be. I personally prefer the 2nd version myself its less raw and scrappy however some might argue that is the "first" versions charm. I think the later version is fuller and very much better produced.
Someone else might have a better explanation to me though.

Wow I knew I would get good info if I asked here. :thumb:

I have been so used to the single version, and then I listened to it on Hatful yesterday and LOVED it. I think it sounds much better.. with the drums and everything. And even his voice, and just how the whole song sounds as far as production or whatever (I dont know all the techy terms). Funny you guys think the sound is better on the single version? I knew I wasnt losing my mind, I was like WOAH this sounds different.. then I immediately put in the single version and could clearly hear the differences.

The version on Hatful and also Sound of the Smiths is, as said above, from their first John Peel radio session in May 1983 and the version which Morrissey prefers.

They later recorded it for their 1984 debut album (The Smiths) which is the version on Singles since it was their third single. Morrissey was always very critical of the single version even though it was a big hit. The Smiths stopped playing the song live by the end of 1984 and it is unlikely Morrissey will ever play the song live again.

Despite Morrissey's preference, a lot of fans still prefer the single version because that's the one they would have first heard on Top Of The Pops etc back in the day.

For a full checklist of songs and different versions see the passionsjustlikemine.com website.

This. But also the first press of the 12" single is an extended version that I don't believe has been released on any CD compilation.

This is one of the tracks where I prefer the version on The Smiths over the Hatful of Hollow one. But then it is a bit atypical of early Smiths - most of the songs from that period revolves around gently intertwining guitar and vocal melody lines, which the HoH production(s) generally bring out in a better way. But not WDDIM - it's key point is swagger, and here Porter's more compact sound works better, in my opinion.

cheers

I much prefer the Peel version.

I agree with Qvist's point that WDDIM does sound a bit like a vocal clumsily tacked on an instrumental, but in the event the "ideal" studio version is much too weak. It fails not because of Marr's work but the effects they added to Joyce's drums. The Peel version sounds harsh and raw, which is much more appropriate for the tone of wounded accusation.

Wow I'm dumb. I thought I had hatful on tape years ago but I guess I never bought it until now because I just saw it had all the same songs on it that I've already heard. Now I realize all the songs sound different! What a trip!!

12 inch extended version? You sure about that?

Jukebox Jury

Technically I think it's correct. There was one version that was slightly longer by a few seconds. I'd hardly call it an "extended version" but it is a longer version of the song. Certainly in comparison to the 7" edit. :)

By the way, Goddard reported that Morrissey himself preferred the Peel session version.

As far as I know there is a slightly different tuning in the two songs(versions),one is pitched slightly higher.

Technically I think it's correct. There was one version that was slightly longer by a few seconds. I'd hardly call it an "extended version" but it is a longer version of the song. Certainly in comparison to the 7" edit. :)

By the way, Goddard reported that Morrissey himself preferred the Peel session version.

Thanks.... so we are not talking about an extended version like the New York 'This Charming Man', just a few seconds longer with the ending.... I can live without the 'extended version' in my collection:lbf:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom