What did make you smile today?

I reckon 20% off mporium today. Reckon me love the Mozzer football. I hope Uncle Steve's LA Rams make it to the world championship of football Super Bowl next season. Buy from the mporium site so Steve doesn't have to get on that plane at LAX this week and go to "the uk" to get some foreigner money.
PinSet_2048x2048 (1).png

Last edited:
After changing their national anthem Canada have decided to change the country name to Candida.

I made a hot sauce out of a variety of dried peppers with a ton of garlic the better part of a month ago, and finally pulled it from the dark cupboard today. It turned out delicious. Tomorrow I'm going to make another batch, but hotter, as well a batch of ginger beer. I'm on a fermented foods kick lately.

I made a hot sauce out of a variety of dried peppers with a ton of garlic the better part of a month ago, and finally pulled it from the dark cupboard today. It turned out delicious. Tomorrow I'm going to make another batch, but hotter, as well a batch of ginger beer. I'm on a fermented foods kick lately.
I don't think ginger beer counts as fermented foods :lbf: What was in the hot sauce? If it wasn't ridiculously hot I'd be interested to know the recipe.

I don't think ginger beer counts as fermented foods :lbf: What was in the hot sauce? If it wasn't ridiculously hot I'd be interested to know the recipe.
Hey, if I ferment it, it's a fermented food! I've been making sauerkraut and kimchi (not vegan either) in addition to hot sauces and drinks. The hot sauce was very simple. I used Guajillo (sp?) and a few arbol chilis. About 3-4 oz of those, boiled that in 2 cups of water, let it sit for 30 minutes, smoothed it out in the food processor, then added vinegar, sugar, cumin, a lot of raw garlic, and salt. Let it sit in the dark for at least 2 weeks to a month, and there you go. It picks up some nice funky notes, but the acidity keeps it from going toxic. I didn't want to make something too hot to be palatable, but I am going to see what I can make in terms of hellfire later today to enjoy a month from now.

Hey, if I ferment it, it's a fermented food! I've been making sauerkraut and kimchi (not vegan either) in addition to hot sauces and drinks. The hot sauce was very simple. I used Guajillo (sp?) and a few arbol chilis. About 3-4 oz of those, boiled that in 2 cups of water, let it sit for 30 minutes, smoothed it out in the food processor, then added vinegar, sugar, cumin, a lot of raw garlic, and salt. Let it sit in the dark for at least 2 weeks to a month, and there you go. It picks up some nice funky notes, but the acidity keeps it from going toxic. I didn't want to make something too hot to be palatable, but I am going to see what I can make in terms of hellfire later today to enjoy a month from now.
Ah, I should have known, I cannot have the vinegar or the sugar :( Sounds good, though. What's the idea of keeping it in the dark? I have all sorts of things wrong with my body so I have a very restricted diet (no carbs, no dairy, no sugar, no vinegar, nothing with yeast, no alcohol - although I do sneak the odd vodka very occasionally). I've also got into making sauerkraut and I make thick kefir with coconut milk, which is pretty good. I'm always on the lookout for new recipes, though, because my kids are starting to complain about the monotony (ungrateful little bastards). What is the difference between kimchi and kombucha (?)?

Ah, I should have known, I cannot have the vinegar or the sugar :( Sounds good, though. What's the idea of keeping it in the dark? I have all sorts of things wrong with my body so I have a very restricted diet (no carbs, no dairy, no sugar, no vinegar, nothing with yeast, no alcohol - although I do sneak the odd vodka very occasionally). I've also got into making sauerkraut and I make thick kefir with coconut milk, which is pretty good. I'm always on the lookout for new recipes, though, because my kids are starting to complain about the monotony (ungrateful little bastards). What is the difference between kimchi and kombucha (?)?
I didn't know you had dietary restrictions. That does limit things somewhat. Kimchi and Kombucha? Kombucha would be a fermented tea containing caffeine and trace amounts of alcohol, Kimchi is a horrible smelling yet delicious mix of vegetables, daikon radish, napa cabbage, carrot, red peppers, spices, and tiny dried shrimp. (you can make it without the shrimp but it also has fish sauce. Without those, it's more a spicy straight ahead pickle) A lot of the things I am making lately are just horribly overpriced considering the minimal investment on the ingredients themselves. Not to make it too pretentious sounding, but I consider it an exercise in patience and kind of meditative to create longer term recipes that require prep and the passage of time. Keeping it in the dark I believe is to keep certain microbes at bay that need light to reproduce, as well as a form of temperature control. Too hot, things ferment too fast, and too cold, not fast enough.

I didn't know you had dietary restrictions. That does limit things somewhat. Kimchi and Kombucha? Kombucha would be a fermented tea containing caffeine and trace amounts of alcohol, Kimchi is a horrible smelling yet delicious mix of vegetables, daikon radish, napa cabbage, carrot, red peppers, spices, and tiny dried shrimp. (you can make it without the shrimp but it also has fish sauce. Without those, it's more a spicy straight ahead pickle) A lot of the things I am making lately are just horribly overpriced considering the minimal investment on the ingredients themselves. Not to make it too pretentious sounding, but I consider it an exercise in patience and kind of meditative to create longer term recipes that require prep and the passage of time. Keeping it in the dark I believe is to keep certain microbes at bay that need light to reproduce, as well as a form of temperature control. Too hot, things ferment too fast, and too cold, not fast enough.
Oooh, kimchi sounds like it might be something I could eat! That hardly ever happens! Think I might give that a try, although I'm pretty sure my local Tesco doesn't stock daikon radish or napa cabbage - might have to get creative....

Oooh, kimchi sounds like it might be something I could eat! That hardly ever happens! Think I might give that a try, although I'm pretty sure my local Tesco doesn't stock daikon radish or napa cabbage - might have to get creative....
You'd be surprised! They aren't that uncommon of ingredients nowadays.

Maybe not where you live, sunshine!
I get it. I have to explain to my wife who is only 10 years younger than myself just how dire (and small!) grocery stores were when I was a child in terms of variety. If you have any Asian markets around, theywould be a good place to start, but with the Kale Brigade spreading ever outward, you may be able to find the ingredients.

EDIT: And you're right! I looked at Tesco's website and they corrected it to "No results found for dijon radish/naan cabbage." Jeez, Tesco! Get it together!

Last edited:
I get it. I have to explain to my wife who is only 10 years younger than myself just how dire (and small!) grocery stores were when I was a child in terms of variety. If you have any Asian markets around, theywould be a good place to start, but with the Kale Brigade spreading ever outward, you may be able to find the ingredients.
I don't know what you're imagining about where I live (or even if you're imagining), but the picture I'm getting is much more worldly than the reality! I live on a big road with a Tesco a few hundred yards away and a small town at the bottom of it (the road, not the Tesco. That would just be bizarre). I also suspect that these 'exotic' ingredients might become commonplace in the US before they migrate over here, since you live nearer the countries from where they originate (mostly). Jesus, it's only about 30 years since we stopped calling avocados 'avocado pears'. I didn't see an aubergine till I left home. We are not naturally culinarily adventurous, as a nation - perhaps a result of being a small island, the thinking being if you can't put it in a sandwich or serve it with potatoes it's probably not worth bothering with. Our national dish is frazzled fish with a diabetes-inducing mound of chips, which probably tells you everything you need to know on the subject.

I don't know what you're imagining about where I live (or even if you're imagining), but the picture I'm getting is much more worldly than the reality! I live on a big road with a Tesco a few hundred yards away and a small town at the bottom of it (the road, not the Tesco. That would just be bizarre). I also suspect that these 'exotic' ingredients might become commonplace in the US before they migrate over here, since you live nearer the countries from where they originate (mostly). Jesus, it's only about 30 years since we stopped calling avocados 'avocado pears'. I didn't see an aubergine till I left home. We are not naturally culinarily adventurous, as a nation - perhaps a result of being a small island, the thinking being if you can't put it in a sandwich or serve it with potatoes it's probably not worth bothering with. Our national dish is frazzled fish with a diabetes-inducing mound of chips, which probably tells you everything you need to know on the subject.
Trust me, I know the cuisine. I bartended at an "English Pub" in Portland for years. I'm ashamed to admit that I actually put a bite of steak and kidney pie in my face once. They made a really good Veggie Pastie though, and Scotch eggs are better for throwing than eating. It was this place actually. Ambiance wise, I think it holds up. http://www.horsebrass.com/about/photos/

Marlon Brando and James Baldwin had sexual intercourse.

With each other, simultaneously.

Trust me, I know the cuisine. I bartended at an "English Pub" in Portland for years. I'm ashamed to admit that I actually put a bite of steak and kidney pie in my face once. They made a really good Veggie Pastie though, and Scotch eggs are better for throwing than eating. It was this place actually. Ambiance wise, I think it holds up. http://www.horsebrass.com/about/photos/
Hmm, curious. Some cultural markers are really quite subtle, aren't they? I am struggling to pinpoint why this place does not look at all like an authentic English pub, yet I know it doesn't. The name doesn't help, it must be said. Most pub names are really old and have their roots in local legends and traditions - like the Old Dog and Kipper, or the Ploughman's Septic Toe, or whatever. Personally I'm quite partial to a decent Scotch egg and a steak and kidney pie, although I cannot eat either at the moment (alas). Think yourself lucky, if it had been a Scottish-themed pub you'd have been serving deep-fried Mars bars.

Tags
attention seeking ep bestest. bloody nuisance dmb ginger balls happiness is for the weak happyhappyjoyjoy i love ep i'm so happy!!11!!!1! ignore button love :) schadenfreude
Back
Top Bottom