What concert/show are you going to go to next?

Jawbreaker played there first show together in 21 years on August 12th. They are playing Riot fest in September. Hopefully some more club shows.. Any Jawbreaker fans???

Yes I am. From what I've seen the shows turned out pretty well which I think was an iffy prospect given how rough Blake looked and acted at some of his more recent solo shows. I like all of there albums but twenty four hour for the win

For sure. 24 hour is my favorite, then bivouac. I liked the way Blake sang Chemistry. My friend was at the Ivy room show, the private invite show in California a week before the August 12th show where they played seven songs, kind of a warn up show and he told me if Riot Fest goes well in September, there will be club gigs lined up. You can see three songs on YouTube from the Ivy Room show. Boat, Condition Oakland and I think Chemistry. That would be amazing if more shows got lined up. Plus, you got to think, Blake is in his late 40's now. Have you seen the trailer for "Don't Break Down" the Jawbreaker documentary that is finally out?

For sure. 24 hour is my favorite, then bivouac. I liked the way Blake sang Chemistry. My friend was at the Ivy room show, the private invite show in California a week before the August 12th show where they played seven songs, kind of a warn up show and he told me if Riot Fest goes well in September, there will be club gigs lined up. You can see three songs on YouTube from the Ivy Room show. Boat, Condition Oakland and I think Chemistry. That would be amazing if more shows got lined up. Plus, you got to think, Blake is in his late 40's now. Have you seen the trailer for "Don't Break Down" the Jawbreaker documentary that is finally out?

I was gonna mention the doc myself and yeah it looks great imo. I like the part in the trailer where they say we met on that wall oh wait the walls gone. Reminded me how long it's been. Guess it reminded them to. I saw the clips from the show and thought they were pretty good and would love to catch a show if possible. Lucky for your friend to have been there. I saw some of the clips from a few Blake shows where he didn't look great (really drunk and reading from lyrics sheets) so I was happy to see the jawbreaker shows go off well. They were a great band in an odd spot time wise and kinda got a raw deal with the whole signing to a major thing though I can't help but think that if dear you was a better, or train wreck of a, record it would have been different. It was just so bland that it just made no impact other than slight disappointment. It just end d up validating all those people who thought major labels were the worst. I remember listening to it feeling the build of each song but endlessly waiting for the climax. It just never rocked out and all the muted power chords just made for a dull listen. They have a good legacy though and influenced a lot of bands. When I hear lifetime or early alkaline trip I think of jawbreaker. I think kiss the bottle is one of my favorite songs. Recorded right before he got throat surgery it sounds scrappy in the best jawbreaker way

Kiss the bottle and houseitter are my two favorite non lp songs. And sea foam green. I have always loved Blake's voice. I could talk Jawbreaker all day. Dear You was to polished, but a great record IMO. The had a cult following and still do. I even have the four 4's tattooed on the inside of my wrist. Did you ever listened to Knapsack, Mineral, Get Up Kids? I love that music.

Kiss the bottle and houseitter are my two favorite non lp songs. And sea foam green. I have always loved Blake's voice. I could talk Jawbreaker all day. Dear You was to polished, but a great record IMO. The had a cult following and still do. I even have the four 4's tattooed on the inside of my wrist. Did you ever listened to Knapsack, Mineral, Get Up Kids? I love that music.

I don't have a problem with the polish of dear you just the tameness of the songs. It started getting to jets to Brazil for me which like dear you I just find to be very middle of the road. Love all those bands. I remember getting something to write home about as a random purchase knowing nothing about the band and loving it. That's a band for example were I liked all the controversial changes. On a wire might not have been there best but it's got a couple of there best songs on it. Minerals evolution was also interesting and parking lot remains a fav of course. Yeah I like the genre in general from the crazy early nineties screamo to the blood brothers, from diary and jaw box to brand new, the kinsella brothers, drive like jehu, from the get up kids to modern baseball etc etc

I LOVED Something To Write Home About, as well as the previous 4 Minute Mile and Red Letter Day ep, Woodson and Shorty 7 inches. On a Wire was ok and I did not like Guilt Show. Mineral's first record is one of the best mid 90's Midwest emo genre. Parking Lots and Gloria, two of the best. Dear You was a tad tame, but in a mature way if that makes sense. I love Accident Prone, Fireman, Oyster, Chemistry, and of course Sluttering (May 4th) are my favorite on that record. I did like the first Jets record, Orange Rhyming Dictionary, not to keen on the other two. The Jawbreaker record that Adam put out on his Blackball label, Etc is really good. It has all the Jawbreaker singles, comp songs, unreleased stuff. Have you heard it?

I LOVED Something To Write Home About, as well as the previous 4 Minute Mile and Red Letter Day ep, Woodson and Shorty 7 inches. On a Wire was ok and I did not like Guilt Show. Mineral's first record is one of the best mid 90's Midwest emo genre. Parking Lots and Gloria, two of the best. Dear You was a tad tame, but in a mature way if that makes sense. I love Accident Prone, Fireman, Oyster, Chemistry, and of course Sluttering (May 4th) are my favorite on that record. I did like the first Jets record, Orange Rhyming Dictionary, not to keen on the other two. The Jawbreaker record that Adam put out on his Blackball label, Etc is really good. It has all the Jawbreaker singles, comp songs, unreleased stuff. Have you heard it?

Yeah I listened to etc when I first heard kiss the bottle and went to look for what album it was on. Of course I loved it. I only sorta liked orange rhyming dictionary at the time but it didn't age well with me. Same with dear you which I like more at the time of its release but it doesn't sit well when compared to he other records. I just kinda go meh it's fine but samey and middle of the road. I think dear you was better live. Songs like fireman are a bit more uptempo and you can hear a bit more of the dissonance that would tilt the balance to favorable imo. Amusingly talking about this makes me think of the ataris cover of baxcar. I bet a lot of people listened to jawbreaker after that cover and went what, what's he saying, this production sucks etc. As for the get up kids, I love something to write home about and the e.ps but four min mile is just alright to me. I enjoy it's raw melodic balance but the songs and the emotional substance were still pretty undeveloped. It sounds like what it is which is to say it sounds like a very new band finding its feet. The reissue of four min mile is good with some nice liner notes but Something.... was a huge step forward. I listen/listened to a bunch of musical styles and didn't get on a wire until way after all the hype/outrage about it was over and done with but I did enjoy it. Sure it's not the previous albums style but the first three songs were great I thought lyrically and the songs really conveyed a feeling of being wounded and shook. I also did enjoy guilt show which was like a balance between the two previous records styles. It was more uptempo than on a wife and he can still write a great pop book. What can I say, I love power pop. It didn't have the emotional weight of previous records but I'll put it on when I min the car on a sunny day and bop my head. Didn't like the last one and listened a couple of times to the solo records though if you don't like on a wire that's for sure not gonna go down well

Kiss The Bottle is one of the best songs ever. I love how raw Blake's is. I believe it was the last song recorded before his surgery to remove the polyps on his vocal cords. Or it was recorded right after his surgery. I forget. I totally agree the hearing the Dear You songs live are much better, I still have the flyer when I first saw Jawbreaker in 1993, along with a slew of flyers from back then. I laughed when you mentioned the Ataris cover of Boxcar. I was thinking the same thing when the band Rise Against covered Tour Song by Jawbreaker on the Bivouac record. What the hell.. That is such a raw song, and it played acoustic!!! People probably went out and bought Bivouac and were confused. The first three song from On A Wire are my favorite as well as Campfire Kansas. I do have have Wrist Slitter Matt Pryor and I really dig it. Something To Write Home About was their finest record. And man, I love power pop too. I will grab a Jawbreaker, Mineral, Get Up Kids, American Football, Sunny Day Real Estate, Christie Front Drive, Promise Ring, or anything from Jimmy Eat World not past Bleed America and drive especially when I have a long distance and play a whole CD and bop my head and sing along. That was a real fun time for music late 80's up until 2002. Then that whole genre was ruined by bands like My Chemical Romance. Funny story, in 1997 I saw Morrissey 3 hours from my hometown and the next night, I caught The Get Up Kids and Mineral in my hometown. Good times good times...

Kiss The Bottle is one of the best songs ever. I love how raw Blake's is. I believe it was the last song recorded before his surgery to remove the polyps on his vocal cords. Or it was recorded right after his surgery. I forget. I totally agree the hearing the Dear You songs live are much better, I still have the flyer when I first saw Jawbreaker in 1993, along with a slew of flyers from back then. I laughed when you mentioned the Ataris cover of Boxcar. I was thinking the same thing when the band Rise Against covered Tour Song by Jawbreaker on the Bivouac record. What the hell.. That is such a raw song, and it played acoustic!!! People probably went out and bought Bivouac and were confused. The first three song from On A Wire are my favorite as well as Campfire Kansas. I do have have Wrist Slitter Matt Pryor and I really dig it. Something To Write Home About was their finest record. And man, I love power pop too. I will grab a Jawbreaker, Mineral, Get Up Kids, American Football, Sunny Day Real Estate, Christie Front Drive, Promise Ring, or anything from Jimmy Eat World not past Bleed America and drive especially when I have a long distance and play a whole CD and bop my head and sing along. That was a real fun time for music late 80's up until 2002. Then that whole genre was ruined by bands like My Chemical Romance. Funny story, in 1997 I saw Morrissey 3 hours from my hometown and the next night, I caught The Get Up Kids and Mineral in my hometown. Good times good times...

What'd you think of the new American football. I liked it but it felt like a better Owen album than one by American football. That record was such a moment in time it's gotta be impossible to recreate. I don't mind my chemical romance, at least the first two recorders. They seem appropriate for a graphic novel writing kid with a fun band. They're catchy and uptempo and I don't think are as super serious as there fan base was. I don't really mind many of those first wave super mainstream emo/scremo bands but super hate the bands they spawned for there most part. I think fall out boy brand new taking back Sunday etc all have good records in there catalogs and some have great records here and there. Are they super meaningful, maybe not (brand new excepted) but they were young and most made good records for the moment. A summer scene for young people. I mean I really enjoyed blink 182 when I was young. I love Thursday though and think they went out on a high note. Hard to believe eyeball released the first chemical romance album. Probably another surprise moment for people who blindly bought that labels releases. Pryors solo stuff I thought was good. They all seem to go acoustic country/folk at some point. Like chad price doing drag the river. Are you a fan of braid or hey Mercedes. I liked both those bands

What'd you think of the new American football. I liked it but it felt like a better Owen album than one by American football. That record was such a moment in time it's gotta be impossible to recreate. I don't mind my chemical romance, at least the first two recorders. They seem appropriate for a graphic novel writing kid with a fun band. They're catchy and uptempo and I don't think are as super serious as there fan base was. I don't really mind many of those first wave super mainstream emo/scremo bands but super hate the bands they spawned for there most part. I think fall out boy brand new taking back Sunday etc all have good records in there catalogs and some have great records here and there. Are they super meaningful, maybe not (brand new excepted) but they were young and most made good records for the moment. A summer scene for young people. I mean I really enjoyed blink 182 when I was young. I love Thursday though and think they went out on a high note. Hard to believe eyeball released the first chemical romance album. Probably another surprise moment for people who blindly bought that labels releases. Pryors solo stuff I thought was good. They all seem to go acoustic country/folk at some point. Like chad price doing drag the river. Are you a fan of braid or hey Mercedes. I liked both those bands
Yes, Braid and Hey Mercedes are great bands. Got to see Braid in 1997 and Hey Mercedes a few years after. I think the Braid show was with The Get Up Kids, Mineral and Jimmey Eat World if I am not mistaken. It was when they were touring the Static Prevails record. I will say this, Jawbreaker really pulled it off at Riot Fest. Great set list. You can see the whole show on youtube, but I think you will enjoy this especially. They played Kiss The Bottle..

Yes, Braid and Hey Mercedes are great bands. Got to see Braid in 1997 and Hey Mercedes a few years after. I think the Braid show was with The Get Up Kids, Mineral and Jimmey Eat World if I am not mistaken. It was when they were touring the Static Prevails record. I will say this, Jawbreaker really pulled it off at Riot Fest. Great set list. You can see the whole show on youtube, but I think you will enjoy this especially. They played Kiss The Bottle..

Jealous of the braid shows but I think I like hey Mercedes more. I'm not a big fan of jimmy eat world especially clarity or static prevails. I like them when they're just being a pop rock band. Yeah I heard they've done pretty well at riot fest. I read a music site called punk news and everyone seemed to like it. I'm like everyone else now wondering if they'll record new music

Leftfield doing Leftism, omar Soukeyman, Juan Atkins, Daphni, Wild Beasts, Idles, Jane Weaver, Afrobeat Orchestra doing the songs of Talking Heads and lots and lots of other acts. SIMPLE Things Festival, various venues Bristol Sat 21st Oct.

Depeche Mode Birmingham on Sunday. Their last album was fairly listenable. Compared to Morrissey's latest effort it ranks alongside OK Computer, Dark Side of The Moon and Thriller

Gary Numan on Tuesday. Sure, he's a dork, but I've always liked his music, and his latest album is no exception.

Back
Top Bottom