what boz (might) or should have said

davegore2005

I am 50 now, so The Smiths and Morrissey have been basically my whole listening life, and to be honest where some records are like marmite, loved by some listeners and hated by others, Low In High School to me anyway, is the worst record that has been released in a long time

I read the pre release reviews before getting my copy and saw lots of 2 and 3 out of 5, but still wasn't about to not buy it, but do you ever think that maybe when Morrissey passes the cassette with the lyrics on to Boz and he has a listen, that maybe he should take him aside and say, you know, privately and with compassion, these lyrics are a little bit rubbish??. The first half is pretty OK, nothing amazing, but a lot of the second half really does come across to me as an old man on his soap box, just moaning about issues that might interest him, but to the masses, as pop songs that are meant to being a little joy to your day, they really don't do the business.

views anyone??

Dave

I am 50 now, so The Smiths and Morrissey have been basically my whole listening life, and to be honest where some records are like marmite, loved by some listeners and hated by others, Low In High School to me anyway, is the worst record that has been released in a long time

I read the pre release reviews before getting my copy and saw lots of 2 and 3 out of 5, but still wasn't about to not buy it, but do you ever think that maybe when Morrissey passes the cassette with the lyrics on to Boz and he has a listen, that maybe he should take him aside and say, you know, privately and with compassion, these lyrics are a little bit rubbish??. The first half is pretty OK, nothing amazing, but a lot of the second half really does come across to me as an old man on his soap box, just moaning about issues that might interest him, but to the masses, as pop songs that are meant to being a little joy to your day, they really don't do the business.

views anyone??

Dave

If you want pop music to make you feel good about your day maybe you should be listening to Maroon 5...

I think that Boz'n'Moz's relationship has lasted so long precisely because Boz doesn't say such things. I can't imagine what indignities Boz has had to endure over the last 26 years but I would imagine that staying quiet and not making a fuss is central to his longevity with a man who, let's be frank, is not known for the length of his relationships with fellow musicians.

I can't imagine what indignities Boz has had to endure over the last 26 years

bozaswoman.jpg

is it not?, another strange reply, maybe we have different views on what we buy music for.

to put my headphones on and choose a song i haven't heard for a while, and to enjoy it, to bring some joy to an otherwise dull day, to me that's the whole point, maybe it's you who needs some maroon 5 in your life??

is it not?, another strange reply, maybe we have different views on what we buy music for.

to put my headphones on and choose a song i haven't heard for a while, and to enjoy it, to bring some joy to an otherwise dull day, to me that's the whole point, maybe it's you who needs some maroon 5 in your life??

Nah.

are we making recommendations? because Klaus nomi is pretty good! I listened to some Klaus nomi for the first time in like a week or two and I immediately felt better. I don't think I can ever die because i'd always want to listen to Klaus one last time.

views anyone??

Dave

You reminded me of this

how so?, for having an opinion of a record from an artist whose music I enjoy?, should every record be greeted with adulation by fans?, will every record be better than the last?

Boz is the hired help. He's not there to pass judgement on the lyrics, or offer an opinion on anything - that's not what he's being paid for, and he'd be swiftly kicked out of the band if he suddenly started having opinions. Even back in the Smiths days when he had an equal partner, Johnny only tried a lyrical intervention once (on 'The Headmaster Ritual') - and when that went down like a cup of cold sick never tried again.

I think Viva is spot on here. Music, as with other art forms I guess, is about more than pretty little vignettes.

Last edited:
how so?, for having an opinion of a record from an artist whose music I enjoy?, should every record be greeted with adulation by fans?, will every record be better than the last?

No, criticism is ok, but saying that it's "the worst record" and that the lyrics are "a little bit rubbish" goes beyond that.

Before LIHS was released I kept reading this on a number of sites: "Morrissey's new album will 'capture the zeitgeist of an ever-changing world'". That sums the album up I'd say. He covers quite a lot: the press, presidents, war, police/Venezuela, Arab Spring/Arab revolutions to Israel. This isn't a pop album.

"but to the masses, as pop songs that are meant to being a little joy to your day, they really don't do the business". I don't think the lyric "government advised / they are spraying our eyes / they live to kill / and they love just to harm" is meant to bring joy to your day Dave.

views anyone??

Dave
Just a small point of order:
In almost any (rare) recollection of the Morrissey recording process it is Moz fitting his words and phrasing in to already made tunes - so the scenario you describe wouldn't occur.
Regards,
FWD.

Just a small point of order:
In almost any (rare) recollection of the Morrissey recording process it is Moz fitting his words and phrasing in to already made tunes - so the scenario you describe wouldn't occur.
Regards,
FWD.
I wonder if this is true. He clearly has an effect on the songwriters he works with and I'm sure he plays around with song structures (I recall reading somewhere that with Stephen Street he made the verse into a chorus) and also you can hear in many songs he sings alternate melodies over final chorus's.
I think he brings the very best out of his collaborators.

Before LIHS was released I kept reading this on a number of sites: "Morrissey's new album will 'capture the zeitgeist of an ever-changing world'". That sums the album up I'd say. He covers quite a lot: the press, presidents, war, police/Venezuela, Arab Spring/Arab revolutions to Israel.

How exactly does he "cover" some of these topics? Superficially and in name only in most cases. Singing Venezuela a few times at the end of song, or saying presidents come and go (oh, really?), or suggesting people stop informing themselves by watching the news, or throwing out the tired phase mainstream media don't exactly show a deep comprehension of the issues.

Last edited:
Boz is the hired help. He's not there to pass judgement on the lyrics, or offer an opinion on anything - that's not what he's being paid for, and he'd be swiftly kicked out of the band if he suddenly started having opinions. Even back in the Smiths days when he had an equal partner, Johnny only tried a lyrical intervention once (on 'The Headmaster Ritual') - and when that went down like a cup of cold sick never tried again.

26 years without possibly voicing an opinion, more willpower than me

How exactly does he "cover" some of these topics? Superficially and in name only in most cases. Singing Venezuela a few times at the end of song, or saying presidents come and go (oh, really?), or suggesting people stop informing themselves by watching the news, or throwing out the tired phase mainstream media don't exactly show a deep comprehension of the issues.
The biggest crime in Young People was rhyming "go" with "go."
At least go with something like "Presidents come, Presidents go, and sometimes they get impeached, but only if they fancy a blow, oh."

Back
Top Bottom