What are your origins?

well it is my favorite book of all time, and i read it at least twice a year,so it has always been a dream, if was a millionaire,i would have every edition of it ever printed.

as for comics,i was never a fan ,other than dick tracy, which i have some of them,mainly though just original chicago tribune editions that they were printed in.

I say grab it then.

All of you are lucky to know your origins.

During the WWII the island where I'm originally from had been seriously damaged.
Most of the public records were lost.
My parents' belongings were all lost.
My father doesn't tell us anything about his childhood. I have no idea about both sides of my grand parents.
Paternal grand parents died during the war.
Maternal grand father died when my mother was a baby, she lost her mother when she was 17.

I don't know what island you're from, but it's entirely possible that your ancestors were cannibals during WW2. Whatever the case, perhaps it's for the best you don't know much about your family's past, as you might not like what you'd find.

Last edited:
the bible:
bible1.jpg

wow, it's beautiful. My family doesn't have any of those hereditary things because everybody moved to much. :(

I was born in Sao Paulo, Brazil and I lived there until I was 9 and then I moved to Argentina and lived there until I was 16 and now I've been in Canada for 2 years.
My dad was born in Colombia because my grandfather had a job that made him move very often so he was born there but lived most of his life in Brazil. My father's father was Swiss and his family comes from Poland and France. My father's mother is Argentinian and her family comes from several parts of Latin America and there are a few brits as well.
On my mother's side it's more homogeneous :p. My mother is Brazilian and her family is from the same country and Portugal.

I have an identity crisis. :rolleyes:

wow, it's beautiful. My family doesn't have any of those hereditary things because everybody moved to much. :(

I was born in Sao Paulo, Brazil and I lived there until I was 9 and then I moved to Argentina and lived there until I was 16 and now I've been in Canada for 2 years.
My dad was born in Colombia because my grandfather had a job that made him move very often so he was born there but lived most of his life in Brazil. My father's father was Swiss and his family comes from Poland and France. My father's mother is Argentinian and her family comes from several parts of Latin America and there are a few brits as well.
On my mother's side it's more homogeneous :p. My mother is Brazilian and her family is from the same country and Portugal.

I have an identity crisis. :rolleyes:

Wow, you've lived all over the place. How's Canada compared to South America?

My dad was born in Colombia because my grandfather had a job that made him move very often so he was born there but lived most of his life in Brazil.

That's strange, because that is sort of what happened with my mother and her father. Although they lived in Belarus for a long time, my mother was born in Bahrain because of my grandfather's job. They lived in England for a little while before my mother was born, and they returned to England when she was about 6 or 7.

My grandfather is Belarussian, but my grandmother's family all come from the Channel Islands. That's why I wasn't sure whether to say if I was half or quarter Belarussian.

I've lived in Ireland for all my life, but am distantly related to the Kennedys, on my father's side.
That's the only interesting bit, I think. :(

Sicilian and Irish. possibly a few other things, but I really don't know. I was raised by my grandparents and my grandfather is Sicilian so I've always just kinda solely identified with my Italian side, as I don't really know the Irish part of my family very well. and my last name is Italian. I look more Irish though as I am the palest person I know! :o

Sicilian and Irish. possibly a few other things, but I really don't know. I was raised by my grandparents and my grandfather is Sicilian so I've always just kinda solely identified with my Italian side, as I don't really know the Irish part of my family very well. and my last name is Italian. I look more Irish though as I am the palest person I know! :o

Mysterious it is, when I ask my grandmother and she says that we are not allowed to talk about where a certain relative comes from.

No I suspect it may be for other reasons.

Wow, you've lived all over the place. How's Canada compared to South America?

Better. :D

That's strange, because that is sort of what happened with my mother and her father. Although they lived in Belarus for a long time, my mother was born in Bahrain because of my grandfather's job. They lived in England for a little while before my mother was born, and they returned to England when she was about 6 or 7.

My grandfather is Belarussian, but my grandmother's family all come from the Channel Islands. That's why I wasn't sure whether to say if I was half or quarter Belarussian.

The meaning of nationality is confusing to me I don't really know if it's just the country you were born or the one you were raised so when people ask me "where are you from?" it's hard to answer the last country i lived in or the one I was born.

The meaning of nationality is confusing to me I don't really know if it's just the country you were born or the one you were raised so when people ask me "where are you from?" it's hard to answer the last country i lived in or the one I was born.

Well, she's definitely naturalised British, so really I suppose I'm only a quarter Belarussian. :p

I'm Glasgae through and through apart from the Italian influence, maybe a bit Irish too, part of the family, far back, was called Mullen, and has notoriously awful noses, dubbed 'The Mullen nose', fortunately, I don't have a 'Mullen Nose' but I've heard it said that the Mullens looked like Irish navvies.

i have no clue about my fathers side (and probably never will) but so far on my mothers side i have found irish (my grandmothers side) and welsh (my grandfathers side). i really want to trace my family back as far as possible but many essential documents have been lost so it's proving hard to do it :(

Great thread!

Mother's side:

Mom's Mom was Welsh-moved to the US after the war, RIP
Mom's Dad was Italian-moved to the US after the war, RIP

Dad's side:

Dad's Dad was German & Scandinavian, RIP
Dad's Mom is Icelandic-moved to the US after the war, I visited her area in Iceland twice, 2006 & 2007

That's it...

Last edited:
I was born in Southampton and right now I live in Northern Ireland (I miss England so much, though). My father was born in the Republic of Ireland and comes from an enormous family; a long line of Irish Catholics, normally farmers. My mother was born in Liverpool, as were her parents as far as I know...her grandmother, my great grandmother, was one of the...oh, what's the name...I'll ask, I can't remember. It began with B, and it was a rich Belfast family who owned a number of factories, but she 'married beneath her' and I think she was disowned. Other than that, I don't know.

Oh, and my dad says there's a tiny, tiny chance we might be distant relatives of William Rowan Hamilton, the Irish mathematican; he does a lot of research about the family history, but apparently it's really hard to research Irish family history because of different records; in Irish records the names are spelt the Gaelic way, while in English or Northern irish records they tend to be spelt the English way, or misspelt entirely, so it's hard to tell whether someone really is your ancestor or what.

Better. :D

I was born in Croatia, but I've lived in Italy most of my life. However I've never seen myself as Italian and I think I'll never.

This thread is very nice, very. What I love about the US is that it's the country with the most (?) mixed population.

Interesting topic. I'm half English and Half Persian (Iranian), well I wonder... Am I the only Morrissey/Smiths fan of this mix? :)

Back
Top Bottom