What Are Your Favorite TV Shows?

Top Chef, Work of Art, The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills... and New York, Desperate Housewives, Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, The Layover, Two and a Half Men.

Top Chef, Work of Art, The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills... and New York, Desperate Housewives, Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, The Layover, Two and a Half Men.

I love Work of Art. Who won? I got distracted with Christmas. The last one I saw the guy with the weird name who did the Stars Wars stuff was booted when he totally missed the mark with that stupid toothpick mural.

No wait, I saw the one after that where that cute girl got indecisive and lost during the Fiat challenge. How awesome was that skinned seat diptych? And my friend and I noticed the prize money is ginormous each challenge now. :eek: Saraca Jessica must've got some huge corporate backing somewhere.

Last edited:
I love Work of Art. Who won? I got distracted with Christmas. The last one I saw the guy with the weird name who did the Stars Wars stuff was booted when he totally missed the mark with that stupid toothpick mural.

No wait, I saw the one after that where that cute girl got indecisive and lost during the Fiat challenge. How awesome was that skinned seat diptych? And my friend and I noticed the prize money is ginormous each challenge now. :eek: Saraca Jessica must've got some huge corporate backing somewhere.

Kymia won with Young and Sara as runner-ups. I thought this season was even better than the first one. I liked the contestants better. The Sucklord was/is weird. I don't think he made anything of quality. Ya the prize monies were huge!

Kymia won with Young and Sara as runner-ups. I thought this season was even better than the first one. I liked the contestants better. The Sucklord was/is weird. I don't think he made anything of quality. Ya the prize monies were huge!

Kymia. Was she the one who got uptight when the other girls were tagging her tree mural with their stupid lipstick stickers?

Kymia. Was she the one who got uptight when the other girls were tagging her tree mural with their stupid lipstick stickers?

She's the one. I liked Sara. I think she is really beautiful in a very unusual way. Her portraits in the street art episode were some of the best works made, I think.

She's the one. I liked Sara. I think she is really beautiful in a very unusual way. Her portraits in the street art episode were some of the best works made, I think.

I thought the teacher guy from Atlanta or wherever had the most consistently good pieces. And quality work, he never half-assed anything, always a strong idea and executed well.

Davie, I took a pic of Amoeba's Dr. Who collection for you. Are you creaming your pants? :D

6607393555_899f1b514c_z.jpg

Auf Wiedersehen Pet
Randall & Hopkirk Deceased
Prisoner Cell Block H
Twilight Zone
Early Doors
Brookside
Shoestring

Just before xmas I bought the complete boxset for the swedish tv series "Hem till byn" (Back to the village) which is the longest running tv show in Sweden. It has been filmed since 1971 and between every season many years have passed until the last season was shown in 2006. I bought it cause I know how bad swedish tv can be during xmas and up to middle of January when the normal tv shows return.
Having watched it when it was aired on tv I never saw the early seasons or do not remember them since I was too young so it was nice to see the old episodes from the 70's and early 80's.
"Hem till byn" is about the changing Sweden in a small village on the west coast when Sweden went from a farming country to an industrial one. It portrays a couple of families and how the changes affect them and their struggles in life. Some continue to run their farm and some move on into the more modern Sweden.
For me the most fascinating character is Lars-Erik played by Ulf Dohlsten who is a very nervy man with psychological problems. He cannot fit in and questions everything in his own and the other peoples lives. His controlling and depressive mother keeps him down until he frees himself in his 40's and finally starts living after a failed suicide attempt.
He becomes obsessed with the story about the village and its people and puts together a book about the village history that his old teacher had started before his death.
As his mother dies he spends his days standing by her gravestone all day listening to Leonard Cohen.
Having watched it again I realised how well it portraid the changes in Sweden on a big and small scale and what people choose to do with their lives. It is very entertaining and the director manages to give it a great flow so it's never dull to watch. It is filled with what makes Sweden to be Sweden and how the swedish mentality works.
It ends with a helicopter view of the village disappearing beneath and Lars-Erik seen like a ghost in the background saying "One could write so much about this village and its people. Places like these that you pass by in a second contains so much history". The end scene reminded me of the old Smiths videos with a character seen in the background of a film clip.

The box 1971-2006:
hemtillbyn.jpg

Lars-Erik (Ulf Dohlsten):
ulf-dohlsten_21871752.jpg

Last edited:
Last night my friend with excellent taste recommended Downtown Abbey? I think that's the name. His eyes got real big and he said "AMIE. YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT." :p

Back
Top Bottom