What are the Southpaw Grammar Singles?

MG196

What Singles were released at the time of Southpaw Grammar? I wanna grab all the B-sides and put 'em on a single disc.

Do you know about PassionsJustLikeMine? That site has everything exhaustively listed. Gorgeous.

Word Up! Forgot aout that. As Moz would say, "Yo nigga, I'm all up in that piece."

I dont believe that any singles should have been released from this album. Its an experimental/concept album and I honest believe that none of the songs on here were commercial enough to be singles.

What are the Southpaw singles?
Bloody awful!;)
Actually, Boy Racer's pretty good (there's a nice musical analysis of the song in the fairly recent Morrissey/Smiths songs book).
If they'd chopped off the pointless grungey outro, and released it as the first single, Boy Racer would've easily gone top 20.

I dont believe that any singles should have been released from this album. Its an experimental/concept album and I honest believe that none of the songs on here were commercial enough to be singles.

I never understood why people say that about Southpaw Grammar. Boy Racer, Dagenham Dave, Reader Meet Author, and Do Your Best... are all straight up Rock & Roll songs!

I'm glad Dagenham Dave was released, even if only for the fantastic video. One of my top 3 Morrissey vids.

I never understood why people say that about Southpaw Grammar. Boy Racer, Dagenham Dave, Reader Meet Author, and Do Your Best... are all straight up Rock & Roll songs!

Reader Meet Author is proably the most commercial song and IMHO probaly the best song on the album. Dagenham Dave is ruined by the monotonous repetition of the Dagenham Dave line. Its just not a commercially good song. Boy Racer is ok. But thats it.

Reader Meet Author is proably the most commercial song and IMHO probaly the best song on the album. Dagenham Dave is ruined by the monotonous repetition of the Dagenham Dave line. Its just not a commercially good song. Boy Racer is ok. But thats it.

But what does ‘commercial’ mean exactly? To me it means a song with a strong melody and I guess one that doesn’t really drag on for too long. Apart from the occasional ‘Life is a Pigsty’ or ‘Late Night Maudlin Street’ or a softly strummed ‘I Know Very Well…’ , surely all Morrissey songs should be ‘commercial’. Songs with really strong, memorable melodies that sound great when they come blaring out of the radio or at the indie disco.
I want a Morrissey album full of ‘commercial’ songs, please!

But what does ‘commercial’ mean exactly? To me it means a song with a strong melody and I guess one that doesn’t really drag on for too long. Apart from the occasional ‘Life is a Pigsty’ or ‘Late Night Maudlin Street’ or a softly strummed ‘I Know Very Well…’ , surely all Morrissey songs should be ‘commercial’. Songs with really strong, memorable melodies that sound great when they come blaring out of the radio or at the indie disco.
I want a Morrissey album full of ‘commercial’ songs, please!

Commercial means <b>"Radio Friendly"</b>

Although Maudlin St and Pigsty are two of his best, they are not commercial enough to be released as singles. Neither were any of the songs on Southpaw Grammer. Thats why they sold so poorly. Not commercial enough IMO.

"Dagenham Dave" probably didn't transfer well to the American ear (for non-fans, that is.) Americans don't know what, or where, Dagenham is, and why it's funny that the guy is from there.

"Dagenham Dave" probably didn't transfer well to the American ear (for non-fans, that is.) Americans don't know what, or where, Dagenham is, and why it's funny that the guy is from there.

Well I'm Irish and go to the UK regularly. It didnt transfer well to my ear not because I didnt understand it but because its just a poor song musically.

The lyrics are amusing tho.......

What I meant is that the pronunciation would be confusing to an American. In the song, it's pronounced "Daggen-m" and an American would tend to say "Dagg-en-ham" with an emphasis on the last syllable.

And it would have been nice to have more lyrics than just the repetition of "Dagenham Dave" again and again.

It's infinitely superior to anything on all the radio playlists that I'm aware of.

Last edited:
What I meant is that the pronunciation would be confusing to an American. In the song, it's pronounced "Daggen-m" and an American would tend to say "Dagg-en-ham" with an emphasis on the last syllable.

And it would have been nice to have more lyrics than just the repetition of "Dagenham Dave" again and again.

Agreed!

Back
Top Bottom