What are the odds? Will Moz get a new record deal?

It's certainly been the case for the last 20 years but, judging by his recent comments on True to You, ('I now no longer expect to live long enough to experience an offer to record for a grownup label') it sounds like he's beginning to realise that he'll need to explore other options.

He will only sign to a Major, not an indie, so there's no point suggesting indies in this thread.

Ideal option is to sign Rough Trade which is now under Beggars Banquette group.

Depends what you mean by masses. His successful albums, Smith and solo, sell 200,000-400,000 which is enough for a decent major record company deal. His less successful albums sell 50,000-75,000 which isn't.
The idea that Morrissey has a stable, fixed size fanbase who will buy anything he puts out simply isn't the case. The challenge for record labels is being to work out whether his new album will be one of his more successful or one of his least.

He is a indie pop music act and not a stadium filler. His music doesn't appeal to the masses and never has. If he wants to release new material he needs to..............

hua.jpg

Ideal option is to sign Rough Trade which is now under Beggars Banquette group.
Why not? Good idea. The point is that he needs to release "something" in order to carry on (he knows that) and we are bloody desperate for anything that goes from a Studio Album, to a Live Recording or Live DVD. But we need something , for God's Sake!!
Cheers Moz

Well if he holds out for another 5 years or so it will be like Quarry all over again - potential to market it as a comeback (everyone can surely agree that was a large element of how Quarry was promoted) and people hadn't heard from him in a while, etc. Of course, there are other reasons why Quarry was successful (including, in part, its pop sound) but the comeback thing was at least part of it. Which would be extra incentive for a Major to take a chance on him.

Well if he holds out for another 5 years or so it will be like Quarry all over again - potential to market it as a comeback (everyone can surely agree that was a large element of how Quarry was promoted) and people hadn't heard from him in a while, etc. Of course, there are other reasons why Quarry was successful (including, in part, its pop sound) but the comeback thing was at least part of it. Which would be extra incentive for a Major to take a chance on him.

I think it's very optimistic to hope for a second Quarry/comeback. Moz will be 57 in five years and he's said numerous times that he wants to retire early/with dignity and not stretch out his career unnecessarily. He's finished the autobiography and I think he wants it to be "the final word" - I'd be surprised if he continued to release music after it was published. So come on Moz... new album this year!

Sometimes I cant help but wonder if Morrissey one will just say "f*** it" and retire without the YOR-followup. All we will be left with are a couple of liveradiorecordings and "recorded with a microwave"-sounding versions of Art Hounds and Scandinavia(which in my oppinion sounds like the most ambitous songs of his new material).

It's a sad thought, but Moz last TTY-statement didnt sound very comforting for pessimists like myself.

Last edited:
...he has made it very clear he is not interested in internet-only/ downloadable stuff.

FWIW, neither am I. I can completely understand his refusal to settle in that regard... I am a nobody, and I'd still rather fund my own releases entirely if it meant physical copies over a digital release. Blegh. I don't "do" iTunes for music purchases or MP3 download bundles with my own analog-format releases, and I don't intend to start, not even for Morrissey.

Additionally, it's obvious there are scads of Indie labels out there that could/WOULD release anything he had to offer... But he wants a major label? It seems like the Indie labels are the ones specializing in and actually caring about physical releases these days...

Last edited:
Well if he holds out for another 5 years or so it will be like Quarry all over again - potential to market it as a comeback (everyone can surely agree that was a large element of how Quarry was promoted) and people hadn't heard from him in a while, etc.

I don't think it would wet Morrissey's appetite since the music industry wants physical media dead in five years time. If you think Morrissey's current demands are a bit unrealistic, I can just image what he would want from a record label in 2017.

I don't think it would wet Morrissey's appetite since the music industry wants physical media dead in five years time. If you think Morrissey's current demands are a bit unrealistic, I can just image what he would want from a record label in 2017.

I think he cares more about being on a Major than the % of music sold physically and digitally. Even in 5-10 years time, Majors will still release albums on CD (and vinyl, where there is demand) even if the clear majority of sales for albums are digital by then.

I think it's all bullshit.
Morrissey could release a record without any record label... he's part of mainstream. It's easy to him.

Would it really matter if he just quietly retired? I mean, do we really need any more music from him? The last albums have produced a few good songs, and some good b-sides, but nothing that I listen to with any great regularity. We have all the Smiths songs, and 20+ years of solo material to listen to.
Of the new songs we have heard, only Action Is My Middle Name was really any good. And after listening to that about 20 times I don't listen to it anymore unless it comes on shuffle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's all bullshit.
Morrissey could release a record without any record label... he's part of mainstream. It's easy to him.

He's no more part of the main-stream than Jedward these days. In fact, more people probably know who Jedward are than know who Morrissey is. We think he is mainstream because he's our favourite artist, but he isn't really mainstream any more. He only makes it into the news for vaguely racist comments or some inane veggie-babble he has spouted at a gig somewhere in south-east Czechoslovakia to 496 people.

He's no more part of the main-stream than Jedward these days. In fact, more people probably know who Jedward are than know who Morrissey is. We think he is mainstream because he's our favourite artist, but he isn't really mainstream any more. He only makes it into the news for vaguely racist comments or some inane veggie-babble he has spouted at a gig somewhere in south-east Czechoslovakia to 496 people.

Not at all. When people talk about important british singers or songwriters, Morrissey will always be mentioned. Perhaps he is not as influential as before but he's still really important, anyway.

Not at all. When people talk about important british singers or songwriters, Morrissey will always be mentioned. Perhaps he is not as influential as before but he's still really important, anyway.

That's not "main-stream" though. That conversation is only ever had by people who read music magazines.
Mainstream topics nowadays include: lack of money, unemployment, who is the father of my baby?, mugging, complaining about train fares and whether masturbating on the hour every hour is potentially dangerous. Morrissey and his 'miserable little songs about being sad' are not on the same level. (That said, only one of the things I just listed is a hot-topic in my house.)

That's not "main-stream" though. That conversation is only ever had by people who read music magazines.
Mainstream topics nowadays include: lack of money, unemployment, who is the father of my baby?, mugging, complaining about train fares and whether masturbating on the hour every hour is potentially dangerous. Morrissey and his 'miserable little songs about being sad' are not on the same level. (That said, only one of the things I just listed is a hot-topic in my house.)

After all these years Morrissey is not singing "about being sad" anymore. He's not alone anymore. He's ok by himself, my friend. He accepeted himself. I can't believe most people care about others... Morrissey doesn't either. I think he sings about selfish.

After all these years Morrissey is not singing "about being sad" anymore. He's not alone anymore. He's ok by himself, my friend. He accepeted himself. I can't believe most people care about others... Morrissey doesn't either. I think he sings about selfish.

Yes, I know. And so do the other 79,999 people who bought Years Of Refusal. But to most people, Morrissey is the miserable singer from the Smiths who sang about being sad in the 80s.

"I can't believe most people care about others..." Sorry to break it to you, my friend, but normal people do care about others.

Yes, I know. And so do the other 79,999 people who bought Years Of Refusal. But to most people, Morrissey is the miserable singer from the Smiths who sang about being sad in the 80s.

"I can't believe most people care about others..." Sorry to break it to you, my friend, but normal people do care about others.

I didn't say I don't care. I said MOST PEOPLE don't. If they really care about others why so many murders .. wars.. ?

I didn't say I don't care. I said MOST PEOPLE don't. If they really care about others why so many murders .. wars.. ?

I would love to see the survey you have carried out that enables you to state so categorically that MOST PEOPLE don't care about other people. For every murderer out there, there are hundreds of thousands of people who care about their wives, husbands, children, boyfriends, girlfriends, friends, aunts, uncles, grandparents etc. Except for Morrissey apparently (another opinion you have formed from your meticulous research, I imagine) - he only cares about chickens and cows.

I don't think Morrissey is selfish. Singing introspective songs is not the same thing as being selfish.

I think it's very optimistic to hope for a second Quarry/comeback. Moz will be 57 in five years and he's said numerous times that he wants to retire early/with dignity and not stretch out his career unnecessarily. He's finished the autobiography and I think he wants it to be "the final word" - I'd be surprised if he continued to release music after it was published. So come on Moz... new album this year!

I think you're wrong about this, Amy. Morrissey has talked about imminent retirement since his early 30s but he's never come close to carrying it out.
Furthermore, he's been more active (in times of concerts, albums, new material etc) in the last 6 years that at any time since the Smiths.
He is super-keen to keep going, and to write and perform new songs, to the point where he now has an album's worth of new songs ready despite no deal.
There's no definite word about a release date for his autobiography but, even if it does come out in the next 12 months, there's no real reason why that would mark the end of his songwriting days.

Back
Top Bottom