What are the new songs about?

Everyone expects Nortre Dame to be about the fire
Definitely. I was pretty sure I remember him saying something about the Notre Dame fire...but when I google it, only this shows up:
From an April 2019 interview with Sam:

S:
Do you share the sorrow over Notre Dame?

M:
Yes, but let’s be realistic … it’s arson. Everybody knows that.

sam:
Why do you say that?

M:
You can judge it by the speed by which the corporate media rushed to call it an accident even though the fire had just started and no one was in any position to know anything. Brainwashing! It’s a bit like hearing the full reason behind a plane crash even though the plane has yet to hit the ocean.

It probably won't be, but 'Many Icebergs Ago' might possibly be Marr related? As soon as I read the title, my mind skipped back to that bit in 'Autobiography' where they briefly reconnected: 'I decide to write to Johnny - hacking into mountains of ice'. OK, it's pretty tenuous, but there you go!
There's also this bit in his open letter to Johnny Marr 'I have not ever attacked your solo work or your solo life, and I have openly applauded your genius during the days of ‘Louder than bombs’ and ‘Strangeways, here we come’, yet you have positioned yourself ever-ready as rent-a-quote whenever the press require an ugly slant on something I half-said during the last glacial period as the Colorado River began to carve out the Grand Canyon.'

Just realized that The Night Pop Dropped may be about Iggy Pop.

Yes, one of Morrissey’s favorite films, the 1958
film of course ….

a night to remember is a british classic,much better than camerons effort.

M should bring out a book breaking down his lyrics then there would be no more guessing,would sell well.

my secondary school was called notre dame high school,obviously there is the catholic connection.

I know "songs about Marr" is always a highly debatable topic and I don't necessarily think that Morrissey would write songs about him nowadays. But these are the first songs that were written after the open letter incident. After your post I thought, that he said something similar in the open letter and he did in regards to "many [time period] ago".
In fact he uses the sentence "many lifetimes ago" twice in the letter, which is interesting because I don't think that he would repeat himself intentionally with the same exact wording, so it seems that was a highly charged and important fact he wanted to make clear. Saying that and looking at the title it could very well be about the feelings you have towards someone you knew a long time ago and that has disappointed you (and not necessarily only about Marr). I know it's a stretch, but it's meant to be a guessing anyway.:tiphat:
I thought that about "I Ex-Love You", which sadly we'll probably never hear now. Supposedly it has 'that unmistakeable Smiths sound.'

I thought that about "I Ex-Love You", which sadly we'll probably never hear now. Supposedly it has 'that unmistakeable Smiths sound.'
Yeah, I was curious for that one, too, does it sound even more smithy than Rebels? It was also written years before the letter. But maybe it had been a long way coming...

And what about Neil Cassady?

yeah, I can catch the similarity, and I guess in that way M would be repeating himself.

Don’t mind being wrong, but I’m gonna risk the speculation that the song The Night Pop Dropped may be about Iggy, for various reasons.

Does it mean Pop as in Pop Music?

Or Pop, the shortened colloquialism for grandfather?

Or indeed, Iggy Pop?

i have a hunch the song is about hunchbacks

Yeah, I actually posted a Charles Laughton clip in another thread. Though, as cool as that would be, I can’t even guess what his song Notre-Dame may be just by the title.

though what I found interesting in the clip above is the reference between, architecture, stone and the desire of not feeling and M’s reference to stone/architecture accepting his love in TMAAParis, I’m sure Morrissey’s familiar with the film, being a fan of Laughton.

On second thought …

Looking at Norte Dame, it means ….

Our Lady (the Virgin Mary)

So maybe the song is actually about a woman, a ‘dame’?

Yeah, I actually posted a Charles Laughton clip in another thread. Though, as cool as that would be, I can’t even guess what his song Notre-Dame may be just by the title.

though what I found interesting in the clip above is the reference between, architecture, stone and the desire of not feeling and M’s reference to stone/architecture accepting his love in TMAAParis, I’m sure Morrissey’s familiar with the film, being a fan of Laughton.

On second thought …

Looking at Norte Dame, it means ….

Our Lady (the Virgin Mary)

So maybe the song is actually about a woman, a ‘dame’

Viva Quasimodo!

Back
Top Bottom