Question What are the "holy grail" unleaked tracks at this point in time that are likely to materialise?

Ryan

Notre-DAYUM!
Subscriber
@Famous when dead, what would you say are the most likely candidates?

Kit is out there now.

I Know Who I Love
I'm Not Worth Hitting
Nightmare
Home Is A Question Mark (original Alain version with alternate lyrics)

On the next Maladjusted reissue, what do you think we can expect?

I could be completely wrong but Action Man always struck me as an early or working title for Action Is My Middle Name.

My Holy Grail is the unreleased 1988 John Peel session - if it even still exists.
I had forgotten about this. Meant to have Please help the cause against loneliness and mentioned by Peel but never aired. I found please help the cause on a newsgroup and posted it here (to some people’s chagrin) thinking it might have been from that session but apparently it wasn’t.

surely with diana dors being on the new album shows that these do exist,surprised people like bozz never get asked these things on social media.

As @famouswhendead pointed out, the veracity of the various sources dealing with the issue is problematic, that conjecture eventually becomes fact. I always found the operator of the PJLM homepage to be a person, who reported honestly and sincerely and also said where the line is, you don't have to cross.
That's why his statements on "outtakes with vocsls" are the measure of all things for me and he also makes very fine distinctions:
This song was recorded (complete with vocals)
This song was recorded (complete with vocals?)
Which tells me, he only leaves out the question mark if he really knows the piece. As far as Stefan is concerned, up to a certain point he has compiled everything on his homepage that could be found on the net. To the best of my knowledge, he does not belong to this ominous circle, that actually knows the recordings. Which brings us to the question: Who belongs to it and do these people never want to talk or report about it? As far as I know, no one has been charged or convicted after the KIT and IHTWTWYAS leak. On the contrary, Morrissey played IHTWTWYAS live on his 2016 summer tour in Scandinavia, for example. Which is still a small sensation for me today.

Digging out the initial compilation of Warner-Chappell information, I'd be inclined to believe it's a separate song as it was registered by that name.
FWD.

Action Man Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

Teresa, Teresa Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

My Dearest Love Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

When I Was Young Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

When Last I Spoke To Carol Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

You Were Good In Your Time Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

Because Of My Poor Education Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

It's Not Your Birthday Anymore Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

I Was Bully, Do Not Forget Me Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

Something Is Squeezing My Skull Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

I'm Looking Forward To Going Back Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Boorer, Martin James (Ca)

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Boorer, Martin James (Ca)

Wow, "One Of Our Own" dates back t0 2005?
Krix gets cited, but he references here for the information... 🤣
See:
(but no probably not same song (or music maybe as opposed to lyrics) as later released - Manzur credited and wasn't around then).
Regards,
FWD.

@Famous when dead, what would you say are the most likely candidates?

Kit is out there now.

I Know Who I Love
I'm Not Worth Hitting
Nightmare
Home Is A Question Mark (original Alain version with alternate lyrics)

On the next Maladjusted reissue, what do you think we can expect?

It would be thrilling to get I Know Who I Love, It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small (Spencer's), Kit (officially), Hanratty, Nightmare, The Leeches Go On Removing and the first version of No One Can Handle a Candle To You but I've got my doubts.

Has there been any definitive proof that I'm Not Worth Hitting exists in any recorded form? I recall the name being mentioned along with Satan Rejected My Soul back on a Morrissey chat back in the pre-Solo Listserv days, but Goddard does not mention it in Mozipedia.
Digging out the initial compilation of Warner-Chappell information, I'd be inclined to believe it's a separate song as it was registered by that name.
FWD.

Action Man Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

Teresa, Teresa Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

My Dearest Love Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

When I Was Young Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

When Last I Spoke To Carol Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

You Were Good In Your Time Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

Because Of My Poor Education Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

It's Not Your Birthday Anymore Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

I Was Bully, Do Not Forget Me Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

Something Is Squeezing My Skull Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

I'm Looking Forward To Going Back Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Whyte, Alain Gordon (Ca)

I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Boorer, Martin James (Ca)

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell Morrissey, Steven Patrick (Ca)/ Boorer, Martin James (Ca)

A very reliable old schooler here - who has since shoved off - told me once that he met/chatted to Jesse after a show in 2009-2011. According to him, the bolded titles above never got completed because of Jerry Finn's sudden death. As such, I would wager they are highly unlikely to appear on a legitimate release. More's the pity because I find that two have quite enticingly oblique titles (T,T; I Was Bully) while I'm Looking Forward To Going Back may be one of the most "Morrissey" of titles to never see light of day.

Not sure to be honest.
Going on previous history, Warner-Chappell wouldn't probably list unfinished demos.
I'd guess the songs were a bit more formed than just titles for them to be presented by a third party citing them as known songs. Unfortunately, Wayback has not cached the useful pages to say anything more.
Regards,
FWD.

The theme is old and it has been exploited like a South African goldmine.

At the end of the day, all the outtakes from the different phases come from different sources. As I mentioned elsewhere, it would be interesting for me to know if the source that shared unfinished rehearsal room versions of Kit and IHTWTWYAS has any more material from 1997? (REYNOLDS TO THE RESCUE) According to Whyte, Morrissey just still felt like recording more after finishing Maladjusted, and so there were numerous more sessions in England during the summer of 1997. The planned Covers EP also falls around this time. Although Alain knows, that fans are on the lookout for such material, it is unclear whether there really is a Morrissey version of The Who's "Can't Explain", for example. More likely no. At least, that was their intention to do this as an interlude between proper recordings but Island/Mercury kicked them out.
Then again, at the duo concert with Alain, shortly after the Millennium, Boz plays Kit acoustically and says there's not much unreleased material, but that's one of the songs.
Allegedly, during the sessions with Langer/Winstanley in 1990, many recordings were also "left on the cutting room floor".

Even for an unfinished version of "Kill Uncle" there is a great desire somewhere.

Southpaw secrets have been given away nearly completely, IMHO.

Arsenal and Vauxhall must be thin on the ground too.

Viva Hate: maybe 1-2 more Street demos but they've managed to meet and talk about the reissue, so they won't appear any time soon. At least, we were offered 2 of those early demos.

Quarry has the "Home is a ?", as mentioned by @famouswhendead, demo at least. But I'll bet there are rough studio versions of "Noise is the best revenge" and "I'm playing easy to get" too.

I think a Morrissey boxset with such recordings (similar to Springsteen's "Tracks") will never see the light of day during his lifetime. It's more likely, that Sam will give away more BOT demos as a "present" in 2023.
I would have loved a release of ‘I’m playing easy to get’, I love this song, should have been on an album or at least a B-side

Moz needs the boxset treatment.
There are some great compilations and box sets to be released with all this stuff for sure, but as much as I love him, Morrissey should NOT be allowed anywhere near it 😂
Treat me like a human being must mean a lot to Morrissey but it’s a tuneless demo, why replace Ordinary Boys with it??
They could release an updated Hatful with only the BBC session stuff with the original Peel version of London, and another with Morrisseys Janice Long sessions etc.
I would be more than willing to sort this for him 😁

Back
Top Bottom