Question What are the "holy grail" unleaked tracks at this point in time that are likely to materialise?

Ryan

Notre-DAYUM!
Subscriber
@Famous when dead, what would you say are the most likely candidates?

Kit is out there now.

I Know Who I Love
I'm Not Worth Hitting
Nightmare
Home Is A Question Mark (original Alain version with alternate lyrics)

On the next Maladjusted reissue, what do you think we can expect?

@Famous when dead, what would you say are the most likely candidates?

Kit is out there now.

I Know Who I Love
I'm Not Worth Hitting
Nightmare
Home Is A Question Mark (original Alain version with alternate lyrics)

On the next Maladjusted reissue, what do you think we can expect?
I believe Alain's "I really like the original demo called "Home Is.." Not sure Moz felt he had quite honed in on the final lyrics. Shame as it had the potential to be a great song." is shorthand for 'just the tune was finished' (so may not be fully formed).
Plus, given his current employment situation, I don't think the hinted at tracks he was considering compiling will surface anytime soon.
If the Warner Chappel site ('08) that listed these as Whyte compositions was accurate:
Action Man
Teresa, Teresa
When I Was Young
I Was Bully, Do Not Forget Me
I'm Looking Forward To Going Back
Should
be legit and recorded.
Things like 'Laughing Anne' can be verified as existing via studio tape, but remained an instrumental at that point.
There's so much vague information out there with only scraps of primary sources or 'Goddard says...' to back it up - I'm more of a wait & see philosophy current.
Regards,
FWD.

The theme is old and it has been exploited like a South African goldmine.

At the end of the day, all the outtakes from the different phases come from different sources. As I mentioned elsewhere, it would be interesting for me to know if the source that shared unfinished rehearsal room versions of Kit and IHTWTWYAS has any more material from 1997? (REYNOLDS TO THE RESCUE) According to Whyte, Morrissey just still felt like recording more after finishing Maladjusted, and so there were numerous more sessions in England during the summer of 1997. The planned Covers EP also falls around this time. Although Alain knows, that fans are on the lookout for such material, it is unclear whether there really is a Morrissey version of The Who's "Can't Explain", for example. More likely no. At least, that was their intention to do this as an interlude between proper recordings but Island/Mercury kicked them out.
Then again, at the duo concert with Alain, shortly after the Millennium, Boz plays Kit acoustically and says there's not much unreleased material, but that's one of the songs.
Allegedly, during the sessions with Langer/Winstanley in 1990, many recordings were also "left on the cutting room floor".

Even for an unfinished version of "Kill Uncle" there is a great desire somewhere.

Southpaw secrets have been given away nearly completely, IMHO.

Arsenal and Vauxhall must be thin on the ground too.

Viva Hate: maybe 1-2 more Street demos but they've managed to meet and talk about the reissue, so they won't appear any time soon. At least, we were offered 2 of those early demos.

Quarry has the "Home is a ?", as mentioned by @famouswhendead, demo at least. But I'll bet there are rough studio versions of "Noise is the best revenge" and "I'm playing easy to get" too.

I think a Morrissey boxset with such recordings (similar to Springsteen's "Tracks") will never see the light of day during his lifetime. It's more likely, that Sam will give away more BOT demos as a "present" in 2023.

Last edited:
Although officially released on the Sunny cd, I would love to see the version of Black-Eyed Susan with the abonded third verse to be leacked/released

Although officially released on the Sunny cd, I would love to see the version of Black-Eyed Susan with the abonded third verse to be leacked/released

Just what I was about to add! I love this song so much, find it so uplifting. Always wondered what the missing verse was about. Still love it when it crashes back in again but do wonder how it would've been without the freakout section. I know it wasn't really about Siouxsie but it always brings to mind her mentions in Autobiography. Maybe would become something more rounded and punchy like the glorious Billy Budd.

Holy grail? unreleased yet to be leaked tracks ?

of course… I Am Veronica (Miley version)

and I guess, anything off BoT, besides RWA.

I am waiting for the entire Bonfire album to be leaked, including I Am Veronica the way it was originally recorded with Smiley Virus. Is that too much to ask for? If we can't buy the damn thing, can't we at least hear it and download it illegally?

I am waiting for the entire Bonfire album to be leaked, including I Am Veronica the way it was originally recorded with Smiley Virus. Is that too much to ask for? If we can't buy the damn thing, can't we at least hear it and download it illegally?
I'm actually surprised Bonfire hasn't leaked yet. The storyline unfolding seems to be the perfect fit for an album leak. Surely it must happen soon...

That would be fun. Would remind me of being on here back in 2006 when ROTT leaked and hearing it for the first time. Same for YOR in 2009.

Holy grail? unreleased yet to be leaked tracks ?

of course… I Am Veronica (Miley version)

and I guess, anything off BoT, besides RWA.
Probably all of these old unreleased/unleacked tracks would outkast his recent output including BOT, so no real desire for BOT although it will get a release eventually

BOT is namderopped far too often in this thread, IMHO. It should be about the old testament 87-97 or 04. Not now!

Do some Solo members actually have copies of these rarities ? I can’t see how that would be possible
You'll notice some writers have heard lyrics and tunes when interviewing people for books.
It's highly doubtful they left with copies of the stuff.
The reference CDs are out there and owned by a few here - none whom have ever FLAC'd them unfortunately though.
I believe a couple of reel tapes are floating about, but contents unknown and nobody is going to share at that level I doubt.
Dale Hibbert asserts he's shared everything of note.
The other Smiths have shared images of boxes of tapes (probably de-magnetised by now).
The Grant Showbiz recordings of many, many Smiths gigs are in a loft somewhere perhaps.
The Boz, Alain & Chiccarelli era stuff appears more known about, but the person sharing that is... well you know.
Regards,
FWD.

Look elsewhere for BOT informations, please. The namedropping blocks the way for really interesting informations on early solo recordings. Listen to the new records by Iggy and Eddie to get an idea what's BOT about. Thank you.

“Likely to materialise”? None, dear boy. People richer/more easily parted with their money than us mere mortals snap this stuff up to keep it private.
A man in Hungary offered me the chance to buy a set of the reference CDs (I think - he had all but one, but can’t remember which one he didn’t have). By the time I replied to him, they were gone. He gave me a €20 discount on a box of The Queen Is Dead 12” singles, which are gathering dust in my attic somewhere.

The other Smiths have shared images of boxes of tapes (probably de-magnetised by now).
The Grant Showbiz recordings of many, many Smiths gigs are in a loft somewhere perhaps.
11 of Grant Showbiz's tapes provided material for the Queen Is Dead boxset and the live MP3s they released alongside it. From which, I reckon it can be surmised the tapes now belong, in part or in whole, to Warner Brothers.

Back
Top Bottom