What are the best Smiths/ Morrissey lyrics?

eaWiLK

Banned
what in your opinion are the best morrissey or the smiths lyrics and to what song?? :)
personal favourite is "this charming man" amazing :D

smile.gif

I Know It's Over
Heaven Knows
November
Headmaster
Everyday
Queen

Alas I've not offered anything from the 21st century

This is an impossible question. There are more Moz gems than there are diamonds in the Tower of London.

hmm this charming man is a really good one. has the victorian novel reference, the russ myers reference, the sixites car culture reference, as well as the knowing wink to people who might have grown up homesexual in the manner described by the song (the theft and sex as well as the thought that he isnt a natural man). thats a lot of different time related references all about the same thing in the same song seemlessly and to me thats pretty awesome. especially as it still sounds incredibly personal while referencing at the same time all of these objective cultural references

'tingle3' is right - impossible question

he is fruitful poet, i think the comparing & evaluation should be left to experts in literature, common listeners are out of the league in his case, particularly.

because ii'm a common listener 'n' kind of nostalgic i declare: my favourite is 'cemetry gates'

p.s. apologies

Either 'Accept Yourself' or 'The Hand That Rocks the Cradle' ... Even though Moz borrowed many of his lyrical phrases from literature and kitchen sink dramas.

i found the rogan book on the analysis of his lyrics somewhat insightful

It will never cease to amaze me that the guy who wrote the words to Southpaw, Jack The Ripper, Asleep, and November Spawned a Monster also wrote the words to One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell.

Maladjusted and Late Night, Maudlin Street are up there.

I've changed my plea to guilty. Without a question.

I'm standing in the dark
With my innocent hand on my heart
I've changed my plea,
I've changed my plea to guilty
Because freedom is wasted on me
See how your rules spoil the game

Outside there is pain
Emotional air-raids exhausted my heart
And it's safer to be inside

Lyrical perfection.

I've changed my plea to guilty. Without a question.

I'm standing in the dark
With my innocent hand on my heart
I've changed my plea,
I've changed my plea to guilty
Because freedom is wasted on me
See how your rules spoil the game

Outside there is pain
Emotional air-raids exhausted my heart
And it's safer to be inside

Lyrical perfection.

Isnt it 'I'm standing in the dock'?

Back