What are peoples views on Vegetarianism, seriously?

Can you laugh at concentration camps?

mel brooks uses humour about the nazies!

Joan Rivers made jokes about 9/11.

richard pryor made jokes about his mother being a prostitute.

It is not funny when you realize that you are partly responsible for global warming because you eat those bits of a goose.

I disagree. That's exactly why it IS funny.

1. Because I'm pretty sure what you just said is an out right fncking lie.

and

2. Because my big fat capitalist ass can't be bothered to check whether you were telling the truth or not.

I think you're missing the point.

mel brooks uses humour about the nazies!

Joan Rivers made jokes about 9/11.

richard pryor made jokes about his mother being a prostitute.

Whoever starts jumping up and down about this should just calm the fnck down and watch some South Park.

Laughter really is the best medicine..... unless you're asthmatic..... then it's ventolin.

I do hope you that you will explain the point to me. Is the point being clueless? If you do not know what is happening in the world, than nothing wrong is happening? How very convenient!

I do hope you that you will explain the point to me. Is the point being clueless? If you do not know what is happening in the world, than nothing wrong is happening? How very convenient!

Yes. Well done. That's exactly what I meant.

If you can't think of a sensible reply in future you might want to consider keeping schtum.

If you try to communicate with people rather than talk to yourself, you will realize that my statement doesn't mean that knowing what is happening is impossible. You choose not to know because it is convenient for you. That is exactly what all carnivores do. Doing that makes you an accomplice to the crime.

Whoever starts jumping up and down about this should just calm the fnck down and watch some South Park.

Laughter really is the best medicine..... unless you're asthmatic..... then it's ventolin.

or Team America or Borat

or swimming!!!!

john wayne gacy dressed as a clown, he was hilarious!

Besides living longer, having healthier skin, feeling better, having more energy, getting more enjoyment out of preparing food, learning how your body works, helping the environment, and not contributing to the sordid deaths of other living creatures, I just don't see why anyone would want to be vegetarian.

Detaching yourself from Morrissey-like idealism for a minute

What? I didn't know we could do that. Why am I only finding out about this now?

I have thought about it quite a lot recently. I really don't feel I could totally commit to it. If I was to do it I would have to go the full hog (ha ha..ha erm), so no using certain soaps (and all that other 'stuff') and I really can't see me doing that.

Plus I do enjoy eating meat

Well yes, exactly. I don't really appreciate the Moz's views on this either: 'Leather from animals is taken from those already slaughtered' and 'there is no other sensible alternative'.

Moz said that in the 1980s when there reallyy was no sensible alternative to leather. I really wish people stop using this quote from the 1980s. If you usued my quotes from the 1980s, you'll be stuck witht "G.I Joes are cool" and "Girls!?!? YUCK!!". And no i was not gay and in the army in the 1980s, I was under 10 years old.

The current truth... In a SPIN magazine article on Morrissey last year, it was noted Morrissey now wears expensive fake-leather shoes.

However, the past month has been difficult; my skin has grown paler, I have lost alot of weight, and I quite frankly don't enjoy looking gangly and ill. I have considered going back to meat to avoid all this, and will probaly have to sooner or later anyway since when I leave for University I will really have to watch my diet with care.

If you are getting sick or look unhealthy, you are probably doing something wrong. Many young vegetarians/vegans mess up because they don't take the time to educate themselves. They also are forced to rely on parents shopping for their foods, so they yend up just eating stuff mommy bought for a meat-based meal, minus the meat of course. One thing to remember, we were educated on how to survive on a meat-based diet from our parents and from our schools. A vegetarian diet is not simply minus the meat, it's a whole new way of eating, a whole new shopping list. Educate yourself. Buy the following book:

"Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina.

they also wrote a book called "Becoming Vegetarian" though i Never read that one. I eat dairy but still find the Becoming Vegan book essential.

Last edited:
Ok, all honesty here, as always.
I was a vegetarian for about a year or so when I was 13...but having parents from Serbia, and their traditional cuisine being very meat based, I was soon forced to give it up because I just ran out of things to eat. And when you're 13, your choices aren't that broad. I always hated the fact that my body is quite literarly a grave for 90 cows/year. It's disgusting. I was taught to enjoy garnished mammal flesh.

I'm 17 now (just turned it in October...oh how I'm getting older and older...) and I have not been eating pork or beef for about 4-5 months. I haven't had any meat in about 2 months now. I don't drink milk. What's different now is that I sort of have my parents on my side- I've shown them some PETA propaganda I've received, I told them that the reason why I'm doing this is because I just couldn't live with myself if I knew I was contributing to an industry that mistreats living beings. It would make me a hypocrite and it would cancel out everything that I stand for.

They know that now, that I'm going off to university, not living at home, I've made a decision for life, and they decided to be understanding and help me along through the tougest time...first few months are difficult because you're sort of getting used to the new habit.

But honestly...being vegetarian is the best thing one can do for themselves. I was having my veggie sub in a food court of a huge mall in Toronto the other day, and a 300 pound lady with dark circles around her eyes and sandpaper skin sat across from me with a big plate of pork chops and chicken...and that's when it struck me more than ever- people who eat meat look so ignorant, selfish and pathetic, it's disgusting!

Chrissie Hynde and Morrissey both helped me along. I have immense respect for them and I think that they're brilliant human beings. The best thing a person can learn to do is to be compassionate, and you know what, waking up every morning and knowing that you are not depending on another beings body, that you're not benefiting from a beings suffering and pain, it's the best feeling in the world.

I've been veggie for years. The more I hear about cruel factory farming, effects on the environment, expliotation of farmers by multinationals, etc... the more convinved I am to remain so.

I am changing slowly my consumer habits as I become more aware of the issues involved. Olive oil soap, for example is great.

Ah, so there are decent "veggie" shoes out there, somewhere - that don't look like the box they came in - tell me more anyone?

At the moment I'm at a cross-roads: I have been vegetarian for only slightly over half a year, and up until now have found it rather simple to avoid meat and stick to an appropriate diet. However, the past month has been difficult; my skin has grown paler, I have lost alot of weight, and I quite frankly don't enjoy looking gangly and ill. I have considered going back to meat to avoid all this, and will probaly have to sooner or later anyway since when I leave for University I will really have to watch my diet with care. The only problem I face is reconciling it in my mind; since being a vegetarian I now have a much deeper respect for animals, and don't want to suffer my own hypocrisy.

If you are getting sick or look unhealthy, you are probably doing something wrong. Many young vegetarians/vegans mess up because they don't take the time to educate themselves. They also are forced to rely on parents shopping for their foods, so they yend up just eating stuff mommy bought for a meat-based meal, minus the meat of course. One thing to remember, we were educated on how to survive on a meat-based diet from our parents and from our schools. A vegetarian diet is not simply minus the meat, it's a whole new way of eating, a whole new shopping list. Educate yourself. Buy the following book:

"Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina.

they also wrote a book called "Becoming Vegetarian" though i Never read that one. I eat dairy but still find the Becoming Vegan book essential.

Even without the books, the simple solution is to make sure that you are getting the necessary protein and fat from non-meat sources that you previously got from meat. Being vegetarian doesn't mean carbohydrates (as from vegetables) only.

You can get protein from many sources such as soybean products (ie, meatless burgers, crumbles, sausages, etc), beans, legumes, lentils, nuts, cheese and other dairy. And fats abound in cheese, ice cream, dairy, nuts, potato chips, etc. (not that potato chips are healthy :rolleyes: )
(with my suggestions, i am assuming you are not vegan and that you eat dairy...since you said you are vegetarian)

Even without the books, the simple solution is to make sure that you are getting the necessary protein and fat from non-meat sources that you previously got from meat. Being vegetarian doesn't mean carbohydrates (as from vegetables) only.

You can get protein from many sources such as soybean products (ie, meatless burgers, crumbles, sausages, etc), beans, legumes, lentils, nuts, cheese and other dairy. And fats abound in cheese, ice cream, dairy, nuts, potato chips, etc. (not that potato chips are healthy :rolleyes: )
(with my suggestions, i am assuming you are not vegan and that you eat dairy...since you said you are vegetarian)

I couldn't have said better myself, as usual.

The only thing that really gets me are the self-righteous vegetarians that say things like "all people who eat meat are stupid and gross". You have to extremely ignorant to say all people who eat meat are stupid and gross, because it is a natural proccess. One cannot deny that meat has been an important part our diet for all of our existence, and the only reason to not eat meat is because of morals. So get the over yourself and check into reality.

You don't have to eat meat, and you can try and inspire others to not eat meat, but if you want to go calling the other 95% of your fellow human beings gross idiots, just go away and spare us all!

And no, I'm not saying vegetarianism is bad.

I've been veggie for years. The more I hear about cruel factory farming, effects on the environment, expliotation of farmers by multinationals, etc... the more convinved I am to remain so.

I am changing slowly my consumer habits as I become more aware of the issues involved. Olive oil soap, for example is great.

Ah, so there are decent "veggie" shoes out there, somewhere - that don't look like the box they came in - tell me more anyone?

mooshoes.com have some really great non-leather shoes. They are on the expensive side, though. There is also alternativeoutfitters.com, though they have more fun, casual non-leather shoes than practical ones (I was shopping for work shoes, which is how I know this!).

At the moment I'm at a cross-roads: I have been vegetarian for only slightly over half a year, and up until now have found it rather simple to avoid meat and stick to an appropriate diet. However, the past month has been difficult; my skin has grown paler, I have lost alot of weight, and I quite frankly don't enjoy looking gangly and ill. I have considered going back to meat to avoid all this, and will probaly have to sooner or later anyway since when I leave for University I will really have to watch my diet with care. The only problem I face is reconciling it in my mind; since being a vegetarian I now have a much deeper respect for animals, and don't want to suffer my own hypocrisy.

In my case, losing a lot of weight was a very positive side-effect of my becoming a vegetarian. I look and feel the best I have ever been in my life.

Please don't give up vegetarianism. Watching your diet is easy, once you have the proper tools, such as good cookbooks. Try getting a subscription to "The Vegetarian Times", if you haven't already, as they are always chock-full of tasty recipes. I think PETA's website, as well as the site of Mercy For Animals, have tasty recipes, too.

And if you need to, take a multivitamin and/or an iron supplement. They can really help.

I couldn't have said better myself, as usual.

The only thing that really gets me are the self-righteous vegetarians that say things like "all people who eat meat are stupid and gross". You have to extremely ignorant to say all people who eat meat are stupid and gross, because it is a natural proccess. One cannot deny that meat has been an important part our diet for all of our existence, and the only reason to not eat meat is because of morals. So get the over yourself and check into reality.

You don't have to eat meat, and you can try and inspire others to not eat meat, but if you want to go calling the other 95% of your fellow human beings gross idiots, just go away and spare us all!

And no, I'm not saying vegetarianism is bad.

TY for your kind words, and this reminds me to post a similar thought I have been having lately to the pet peeves thread...

One cannot deny that meat has been an important part our diet for all of our existence, and the only reason to not eat meat is because of morals.

I say that is a half-baked idea...simply because it doesn't have to be an important part of the diet. People didn’t eat meat because they needed to, they ate meat because they found out they can...they wanted to eat it. Of course, after that discovery, humans have been able to move to areas where meat consumption is necessary in order to survive. Great! so meat contributes to the overpopulation of the human species. That's a plus!! Humans are the world!!--and they are currently taking it to hell.

Furthermore, meat consumption is unhealthy, all doctors say so these days.

so even though i am not self-righteous, nor do i care if you eat meat, I have to say the only reason to not eat meat is because of morals and health. Damn, i barely scratched the surface of how meat consumption f***s with the environment--'our' environment (i say 'our' for those who only care about the human race).

Once again, I really don't care, because although I am vegetarian and I realize how unhealthy meat is, I really don't care that much about the human race or about people i don't know. and the planet will survive after we destroy ourselves one way or another.

On a separate but similar note, I think global warming is a great way for the planet to balance itself out (not to mention i hate cold weather). Millions of humans will die and the irony is we are doing natures work. Naturally, when the population of a certain species reaches extreme levels, nature balances it out; either when a food source runs out or through disease. But the human population has been exploding because we figured out how to bypass natures internal balancing system (by using technology or science/medicine. Meat consumption also helps). So f*** it if millions of people die (and if i die, so be it), the world has too many humans and it's growing and growing.

Sorry for my rant and please vote for me in the Rant Poll that is coming up. I have stiff competition (joroberts, theo) so I need all the support I can find.

Back
Top Bottom