What are peoples views on Vegetarianism, seriously?

Roma De Moz

Fat Children Took My Life
Detaching yourself from Morrissey-like idealism for a minute, what are your real thoughts on the matter?

I have been vegetarian, mainly through the influence of Morrissey in my teens. But being brought up on a meat diet found it impossible to stick with it. Nowadays I eat meat, though only very rarely and never Mcdonalds, k.f.c or their ilk. I failed at being a vegan but hopefully I can be a consiencous carnavour.

I've sort of come to the conclusion ''if you don't have to, then don't''. Seeing as how meat substitutes are quite readily available I don't really see the need for animals to die.

And yes, it was Meat Is Murder :rolleyes:.

At the moment I'm at a cross-roads: I have been vegetarian for only slightly over half a year, and up until now have found it rather simple to avoid meat and stick to an appropriate diet. However, the past month has been difficult; my skin has grown paler, I have lost alot of weight, and I quite frankly don't enjoy looking gangly and ill. I have considered going back to meat to avoid all this, and will probaly have to sooner or later anyway since when I leave for University I will really have to watch my diet with care. The only problem I face is reconciling it in my mind; since being a vegetarian I now have a much deeper respect for animals, and don't want to suffer my own hypocrisy.

What about wearing leather shoes, animals die for those too.

Well yes, exactly. I don't really appreciate the Moz's views on this either: 'Leather from animals is taken from those already slaughtered' and 'there is no other sensible alternative'.

I wear Chucks :)

^^ Is there one single thread that we don't hijack? :p
You can, if you must... I just would prefer fake leather meself :D

Now... back on topic if you please, this is an interesting thread... :D

I was a vegetarian for seven years, nothing to do with Morrissey as I hated him at the beginning of that time (I'm sorry, such a shocking thing to admit!), it was originally partly an animal welfare inspired thing, but partly a phase inspired by my friends. (I was 12 when I turned veggie) I was a strict veggie all of that time, but I did wear leather. I don't eat very much meat now, it's not a choice really, I just don't seem to miss it very much. I love veggies and fruit and lentils and beans and stuff, so I don't need it too much. If you want to stay veggie, try vitamins designed for veggies.

If you eat meat, chances are you eat meat on a daily basis, therefore you contribute to the meat trade, I buy one pair of shoes that last a year or more. Not exact but similar to a morrissey quote. Interviewer : You could wear baseball boots, MORRISSEY " In the SNOW!

If you eat meat, chances are you eat meat on a daily basis, therefore you contribute to the meat trade, I buy one pair of shoes that last a year or more. Not exact but similar to a morrissey quote. Interviewer : You could wear baseball boots, MORRISSEY " In the SNOW!

He could wear rubber or synthetic shoes.

In my experience vegetarians have a tendancy to be joyless.

It is nice to see you here again, CharethCutestory. However, your generalizations are false, as always. It is good that you stressed you were talking from personal experience.

Human animals are omnivorous. We evolved to have longer digestive systems than carnivores (cats for example) yet too short too properly digest most plants--unlike cows. Domesticated farm animals only exist because we raise them for consumption. So, is it better to have at least lived than never to have existed at all? Although I do not morally object to eating meat, I do have a huge problem with the way animals are treated in these corporate factory farms. It is abhorrent.

All animals should be treated humanely during their lifetimes. This is why I claim to be a supporter of animal welfare rather than animal rights. PETA and other groups should channel their energies and resources into passing legislation that would protect farm animals from abuse and neglect. While the act of slaughter is gruesome, it is rather swift compared to the countless hours these animals spend in dirty, cramped quarters. It is these appalling conditions that need to become the focus of our efforts for change.

They just tend to not be able to see the funny side of things like fois gras.

Just because you find something disgusting doesn't mean you can't laugh about it. If you laugh at something bad it loses some of it's power.

too true that is one of the best things i've read here!

if you don't want to eat meat don't, if you do, then do! it ain't going to change that much. it basic animal/human nature to consume, other living things, it's the food chain it that basic really and has been since the beginings of this earth.

while i have turned veggie after a long time again, while i find you don't have to meat to live and the animal slaughter pointless, I also find extreme views also "pointless".

Can you laugh at concentration camps?

If someone told a funny joke about them yes. Like I said, I believe it's healthy to have nothing so sacred that it can't be laughed at. It keeps your views from being jaded by emotion.

Besides, when you think about it, getting all pissy about eating bits of a goose, when large portions of the planet will be several hundred feet below sea level because of global warming relatively soon, IS pretty funny.

Some people are (dare I say it) DICKS, when you think about it.

Last edited:
It is not funny when you realize that you are partly responsible for global warming because you eat those bits of a goose.

Back
Top Bottom