We Need To Talk About Morrissey - Study Breaks

And then there's the backdrop and tour shirts. I'm not going to do the good skins/bad skins debate either. I know the history.
View attachment 45021

Everyone seemed fine when the two skinhead girls posted here about the shirt they were in. I don’t think I remember anyone telling them there look was encouraging negativity. Likewise I don’t think he done much to encourage the National front to attend his shows. It’s a stretch

Everyone seemed fine when the two skinhead girls posted here about the shirt they were in. I don’t think I remember anyone telling them there look was encouraging negativity. Likewise I don’t think he done much to encourage the National front to attend his shows. It’s a stretch
At the time, it kind of seemed like he was making fun of Skinheads a bit. At least that was the consensus among fans in my social circles. "Ha! Old foofy Morrissey using Skinheads for his backdrop! Can you imagine? Skinheads listening to Morrissey?" Now it seems more likely that he was romanticising the lifestyle, and admiring their passion regarding nationalism and the British identity, and quite possibly their penchant for violence as communication.

At the time, it kind of seemed like he was making fun of Skinheads a bit. At least that was the consensus among fans in my social circles. "Ha! Old foofy Morrissey using Skinheads for his backdrop! Can you imagine? Skinheads listening to Morrissey?" Now it seems more likely that he was romanticising the lifestyle, and admiring their passion regarding nationalism and the British identity, and quite possibly their penchant for violence as communication.
He always had a fetish for skinhead lads and even had a relationship with one. But he's not alone in admiring and even envying the skinhead fashion and lifestyle which is really cool. People kept hating them but are nowadays wearing their fashion sold in middle class fashion stores.

He always had a fetish for skinhead lads and even had a relationship with one. But he's not alone in admiring and even envying the skinhead fashion and lifestyle which is really cool. People kept hating them but are nowadays wearing their fashion sold in middle class fashion stores.
I've always thought that out of all of the subculture uniforms, Skinheads are among the most insidious due to their often respectable appearance.

I never thought he was making fun of skinheads more so interested in them with some empathy not for there cause but for the sad driven lives they led. National front disco is funny but I do think he’s, or at least that song is, a bit sad at young people being lead to the national front. I always kinda associated well let you know as being maybe about the same crowd. I don’t think he follows skinheads anymore so than he follows serial killers. They as a group are just interesting characters

He didn't seem like he was being ironic when he was trying to get Siouxsie to agree to the use of nationalistic visual clichés.

Back
Top Bottom