We Need To Talk About Morrissey - Study Breaks

Joe90

By Jen Tombs, University of Warwick

July 13, 2018

2015Morrissey_Getty85063909_master190615-920x610.jpg

Excerpt:

"In recent years, the former flower-toting lead singer of the the Smiths has become increasingly racist and Islamophobic.

I personally have always been a big fan of the Smiths, mostly because of their lyrics — all written by Morrissey — which are at times incredibly witty, at times merely miserable, but always absolutely beautiful. They informed my teenage identity and my formation as an adult. I even agree with Morrissey himself on some things, such as his condemnation of the meat industry, police brutality and the British monarchy.

In his time in the Smiths, Morrissey represented the outcast. But it was after he left the band that things started going downhill.

In 1992, as Morrissey was embarking on a solo career, he was accused of “flirting with disaster” for wearing a British flag to perform in front of an audience that included members of the National Front, a far-right party founded by a member of the British Union of Fascists.

Recently, the Smiths frontman has proclaimed support for For Britain, a British political party who are infamously intolerant of immigration and Islam. He also came to the defense of Tommy Robinson, former leader of the far-right English Defence League, who was recently arrested for potentially prejudicing a court case. On the surface, it’s a weirdly sharp turn for a singer who became famous for his lyrics about Oscar Wilde, poetry and critiques of the monarchy and conservative government. How did we get here?"

https://studybreaks.com/thoughts/steven-morrissey/

"How did we get here?"

You'd suspect by reading the Daily Mail or Breitbart every day. I'm going with Breitbart.

That and being the kind of guy who has his own bias confirmed by reading that sort of bollocks and so feels validated.

The thing is he still represents the outcasts and you are on the side of mainstream media. Nobody really knows who is right or not, because historically the truth belongs to the winners. There will be time enough for counting when the deal is done.

"I liked him better when he toted flowers." Variations on this theme are so tiresome. I actually like him better now.

xmoz_2016-1.jpg

The thing is he still represents the outcasts and you are on the side of mainstream media. Nobody really knows who is right or not, because historically the truth belongs to the winners. There will be time enough for counting when the deal is done.
There is a world of difference between outcasts and castoffs . The castoffs are angry at being left behind while the outcasts are the pieces that don't fit the mold.

Oh, Countthree, you had me there until you quoted Kenny Rogers :lbf:

Ok the Gambler :rolleyes:

Ps: I’ve checked with history, and fascists lose, the arc of history does indeed turn slow, but it’s towards justice and equality NOT racism, exclusionism and bigotry :squiffy:

O NO....NO NO:eek:

more JOBLESS PEEPS making stupid "studies":squiffy:
They should make a study as to why they refuse to get a JOB.:thumb:

Every fing day with one study or another WHILE ON THE DOLE FFS.:lbf:

Blikey blood bull box! Why are you foreigners here so worried about finally seeing Uncle Steve's true colors? The only thing Steve is worried about right now is finding a Taco Bell close to Malibu that has vegan cheese for his nacho fries. Steve doesn't need to tour anywhere if he is #2 in the uk charts and the mporium uk is the highest selling merch website for a living rock star.

Go outside. It's July. Enjoy the sunshine like Uncle Steve. Make a ball out of socks and go play kickball in the street, or whatever it is foreigners do for fun besides wearing Yankee caps and everything else American and then talking shit about Americans on the internet.

Reckon you are new, but that's ok. Uncle Steve has lived in LA since 1992. He has a plot at Hollywood Forever Cemetery, so even in death he will still live in LA.

A counter-viewpoint to the article:

Jo Whitfield

Odd. You didn't mention the 3 consecutive nights of Smiths/Morrissey parties that took place in Manchester that weekend. Or that Haslam's event was poorly attended. Or that Salford Lad's Club had extended opening times that weekend to welcome all the fans who still came to Manchester. Or that Morrissey has just announced an additional show in Mexico City as the first one sold out so fast. There seem to be an awful lot of fans still 'in denial'.
Like · Reply · 2 · 4h

By Jen Tombs, University of Warwick

July 13, 2018

2015Morrissey_Getty85063909_master190615-920x610.jpg

Excerpt:

"In recent years, the former flower-toting lead singer of the the Smiths has become increasingly racist and Islamophobic.

I personally have always been a big fan of the Smiths, mostly because of their lyrics — all written by Morrissey — which are at times incredibly witty, at times merely miserable, but always absolutely beautiful. They informed my teenage identity and my formation as an adult. I even agree with Morrissey himself on some things, such as his condemnation of the meat industry, police brutality and the British monarchy.

In his time in the Smiths, Morrissey represented the outcast. But it was after he left the band that things started going downhill.

In 1992, as Morrissey was embarking on a solo career, he was accused of “flirting with disaster” for wearing a British flag to perform in front of an audience that included members of the National Front, a far-right party founded by a member of the British Union of Fascists.

Recently, the Smiths frontman has proclaimed support for For Britain, a British political party who are infamously intolerant of immigration and Islam. He also came to the defense of Tommy Robinson, former leader of the far-right English Defence League, who was recently arrested for potentially prejudicing a court case. On the surface, it’s a weirdly sharp turn for a singer who became famous for his lyrics about Oscar Wilde, poetry and critiques of the monarchy and conservative government. How did we get here?"

https://studybreaks.com/thoughts/steven-morrissey/

You can’t really help it if a few national front people decide to come to a show and if I’m not mistaken weren’t there shouting at him. Also he gets crap
For holding a Union Jack but the name can put suede the Union Jack and a line that reads yanks go home and it’s perfectly fine. Morrissey still represents the same outcasts he did then in the smiths. Animal activists the sexually ambiguous anti authority poetry reading people he always has. None of that has changed

You can’t really help it if a few national front people decide to come to a show and if I’m not mistaken weren’t there shouting at him. Also he gets crap
For holding a Union Jack but the name can put suede the Union Jack and a line that reads yanks go home and it’s perfectly fine. Morrissey still represents the same outcasts he did then in the smiths. Animal activists the sexually ambiguous anti authority poetry reading people he always has. None of that has changed
And then there's the backdrop and tour shirts. I'm not going to do the good skins/bad skins debate either. I know the history.
Morrissey.jpg

Against the haters, how refreshing :thumb:

The idiot who wrote that article obviously didn't band hop on to Moz's free speech rants then...

"These are strong and serious accusations. The author has no doubts, she simply brands an artist as racist and islamophobic. In a decent country, such comments would be punished by law."

Oh aye, I forgot with racists the freedom of speech only works for them and what they actually crave for is a Fascist state where only their views can be heard.

Back
Top Bottom