Morrissey Central "We Had Joy, We Had Fun, We Had Seasons in the Sun" (April 23, 2022)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29417
  • Start date
20220423_201646.jpg

left to right: Tina, Droopy, Fawn, George.
Photo by Herbie Hind.

Yes, he was shackled to the jingle jangle sound, according to him. This is his 4th solo album, Boomslang came out almost 20 years ago, the Smiths broke up 35 years ago and he is saying that it is just now that he can play what he wants. (yet his live setlist is Smiths heavy)

I really don't understand his attitude or the things he says. I really think these interviews are getting more bizarre and in all seriousness, I am wondering about his mental health. The interview for the shoes was quite strange.

I don't know why he can't just appreciate where he came from and what he created there, even if it didn't work out in the end. So many people love the Smiths and it just seems self destructive to keep criticizing them and what he contributed there.

Plenty of bands break up - or even worse, have tragedies, like Ian Curtis and the members go on, either together or apart and do not complain about it this much.
Well said.

Marr has had the rest of his life to play what he wants. I mean for god's sake the smiths were only together for five years. It's just such an immature thing to say that while in the smiths he was shackled to a certain way or writing and playing.

Hey man you're in a band you f***ing moron. The smiths are not your solo project. He had to conform like we all have to when working with other people towards a goal.

As far as goals go they hit it in the back of the net! For a band that was together for five years that's basically unheard of and add to that that they were way outside of the mainstream which is even harder to gain an audience in that position.

Turns out "playing what you want" isn't that hot after all. We've heard from producers and bandmates that Morrissey knows exactly what he's doing and when he's not so sure of himself he asks others for their opinions to help construct the songs. He's far from draconian so Marr's pleas don't cut it as far as I can tell.

It seems that J Marr can't stop talking to hints is still behind Moz

Well said.

Marr has had the rest of his life to play what he wants. I mean for god's sake the smiths were only together for five years. It's just such an immature thing to say that while in the smiths he was shackled to a certain way or writing and playing.

Hey man you're in a band you f***ing moron. The smiths are not your solo project. He had to conform like we all have to when working with other people towards a goal.

As far as goals go they hit it in the back of the net! For a band that was together for five years that's basically unheard of and add to that that they were way outside of the mainstream which is even harder to gain an audience in that position.

Turns out "playing what you want" isn't that hot after all. We've heard from producers and bandmates that Morrissey knows exactly what he's doing and when he's not so sure of himself he asks others for their opinions to help construct the songs. He's far from draconian so Marr's pleas don't cut it as far as I can tell.
If you have to shoehorn mention of Johnny Marr in a picture of M and his pals, in LA in the 90s
You must have something very very very wrong with you.
I often think when people attack Marr,like this, it means , to them, they are onside with M, and thus close to M in someway.
It really is insane

As for the picture, I love seeing these.I like to see the kid happy
However, that said, Im not sure his time in LA was the best time of his life, his adult life maybe- although, i think if he was honest and at peace with JW, he would suggest it was his Camden years that were his fave

It looks like he had lots of fun there, meanwhile at home in the UK, as he was being smeared and often ignored, in favour of brit pop at the time. It must have been great to escape in the sun for a time
Also, lets be honest most of us are going by M's melodramatic words in his auto and a handful of photographs - if you go by pic's taken on a few nights out, sure it will seem like lots of fun

From what I can gather, it turned sticky, after a while. A number of stories about M at home, with beer cans, wine bottle and other things . I think like lots of us, who leave the UK, find the first few years are a wonder and then it becomes every day and you want to go back home.

Actually, I do not think he did live in LA in the mid 90s did he?
I mean he visited with Jake in the mid 90s, i thought they didn't much like it, so returned to the UK
Then once Jake left, M had to get it together in Ireland. THEN after the court case, he went to LA, around 1998. before leaving 7 years later.
Even then, as has been said a number of times on here, the LA thing, was mainly a business, tax, avoiding court payouts thing. It added to the myth and was a selling point for Quarry.
He also spent lots and lots of times, in the UK. In actual fact, I think he only spent about 6 months a year in the USA, if that .

The photo of Morrissey and friends seems to be inviting speculation but I will resist and instead post this cover version of Seasons in the Sun that I really loved back in the day!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom