Morrissey Central "Water And Power" (August 4, 2022)

I will admit the comment was done rashly and I knew it would stir the hornets nest. I'll give them a proper listen to see if I have that eureka moment. You know the one where you say to yourself 'WHY haven't I listened to this band more?!'.
That’s an amazing sensation. I hope you’ll get to experience it with the magnificent Clash!

I will admit the comment was done rashly and I knew it would stir the hornets nest. I'll give them a proper listen to see if I have that eureka moment. You know the one where you say to yourself 'WHY haven't I listened to this band more?!'.

You might like it. A little known fact is that The Clash didn’t actually play on that first one, it was mostly session musicians that later became members of Tubeway Army and Japan.

;)

I’ve tried that with The Clash myself Acton. They’ll still be crap; I guarantee it.

just thinking, it would have been great if Nancy got Lee Hazlewood to work with M back then. Wonder if they ever discussed it.

Lee Hazelwood, Jackson Browne (who once wrote some songs for Nico), Roger McGuinn (whose early work with the Byrds was influential on Johnny Marr) or on the dysfunctional side, where Morrissey's tendencies often incline, maybe Terry Melcher or even Phil Spector—there have been some missed opportunities, perhaps, in Morrissey's Los Angeles residency. Not that he should've seriously collaborated with them, maybe just had them in the studio to add some flourish like Jeff Beck on Black Cloud or Ennio Morricone on Dear God Please Help Me.

But given his choice of Jerry Finn as a producer, his duet with the singer from Green Day, and his presence at the concert of some ska/bro band, Morrissey might like 90s California pop-punk more than the "classic" period of the Los Angeles music scene in the 60s and 70s.

Estás claramente loco. Nancy Sinatra ama a Morrissey y Morrissey ama a Nancy Sinatra. ¿No estás de acuerdo con tu ídolo? Cuando vendiste tu ego, también vendiste tu devoción por el California Son.

MV5BZWYxY2ExMTYtZmEwMi00YjNiLWFjMmYtMWJiYWViYzcyODdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_.jpg
I solve my ego's problems with my ego. Morrissey is my idol but that does not mean that everything Morrissey likes I have to like, I do not agree with many things that Moz said and that he did or does, for example I think nancy sings badly and that her father sings very well but I do not like F Sinatra because he is one of the almost perfect singers but they do not express emotions when they sing, there are many examples. I still don't sell my ego, and I'll never stop admiring Moz he is eternal!!!!

I solve my ego's problems with my ego. Morrissey is my idol but that does not mean that everything Morrissey likes I have to like, I do not agree with many things that Moz said and that he did or does, for example I think nancy sings badly and that her father sings very well but I do not like F Sinatra because he is one of the almost perfect singers but they do not express emotions when they sing, there are many examples. I still don't sell my ego, and I'll never stop admiring Moz he is eternal!!!!
That Frank Sinatra did not express emotion when he sang is the most mental, most outrageous, most absurd and idiotic thing that has ever been said on M Solo ever in the history of the site. Congratulations, you absolute nutter you. Now do yourself a favor and listen to ‘The Night We Called It a Day’, ‘It’s a Lonesome Old Town’ or ‘I Loved Her’.

You might like it. A little known fact is that The Clash didn’t actually play on that first one, it was mostly session musicians that later became members of Tubeway Army and Japan.

;)
Right up my dark and twisty cobbled alley so! Of course Gaz Numan despises Japan cos they blanked him on tour in Japan and Freddie Mercury saved the day by inviting Gaz backstage at the Queen concert in Japan and then out to dinner that night. Japanese food for Queen, McDonalds for Gaz in the Japanese restaurant.

I agree with Acton, a lot of great music did come out of England.

But I think we should acknowledge America’s hand in the creation of that.

In England, I think where they made their own the most, is when the elements of music hall and some folk traditions were brought into the mix. But of course it’s culture, politics and what’s happening on the street will contribute to its uniqueness as well.

Also, lots of cross pollination of ideas though.
Also remember that America took on Irish folk music and that's how Country & Western music was born in America.

Also remember that America took on Irish folk music and that's how Country & Western music was born in America.

Sure. But I thought we were talking about rock, rock pop.

And ….

‘Country music originated in the early twentieth century among working-class Americans living in the south, especially in the Appalachian Mountains. Generations of musicians had blended English ballads with Celtic and Irish fiddle songs, adding influences from various European immigrants who settled nearby.’

Right up my dark and twisty cobbled alley so! Of course Gaz Numan despises Japan cos they blanked him on tour in Japan and Freddie Mercury saved the day by inviting Gaz backstage at the Queen concert in Japan and then out to dinner that night. Japanese food for Queen, McDonalds for Gaz in the Japanese restaurant.

I always thought the verses of My Sharona
reminded me of Tubway Army stuff. What do you think?

That Frank Sinatra did not express emotion when he sang is the most mental, most outrageous, most absurd and idiotic thing that has ever been said on M Solo ever in the history of the site. Congratulations, you absolute nutter you. Now do yourself a favor and listen to ‘The Night We Called It a Day’, ‘It’s a Lonesome Old Town’ or ‘I Loved Her’.
It's a matter of taste, everything is relative, Gregor, it's not a crime that I don't like FSinatra, I didn't watch the Star Wars saga or The Godfather, I don't watch Netflix, or The Simpsons, and yet I live and I'm not crazy I'm neurotic like most human beings. Ah, I don't like the Beatles either and I thought you were more open

It's a matter of taste, everything is relative, Gregor, it's not a crime that I don't like FSinatra, I didn't watch the Star Wars saga or The Godfather, I don't watch Netflix, or The Simpsons, and yet I live and I'm not crazy I'm neurotic like most human beings. Ah, I don't like the Beatles either and I thought you were more open
I’m quite open. I just draw the line when people say Sinatra, out of all singers, didn’t sing with emotion. That’s not an opinion, that’s just plain ignorance.

I’m quite open. I just draw the line when people say Sinatra, out of all singers, didn’t sing with emotion. That’s not an opinion, that’s just plain ignorance.
It is not a matter of ignorance, it is a matter of taste, of tastes there is nothing written. I do not like what F Sinatra sings but if as he sings, it is the music of the songs that I do not like, and the truth I do not regret it does not reach me. You can't force or pretend someone likes something. Best regards

It is not a matter of ignorance, it is a matter of taste, of tastes there is nothing written. I do not like what F Sinatra sings but if as he sings, it is the music of the songs that I do not like, and the truth I do not regret it does not reach me. You can't force or pretend someone likes something. Best regards
That’s one thing, but you said he sings without emotion - and that’s plain ignorance or emotional retardation.

That’s one thing, but you said he sings without emotion - and that’s plain ignorance or emotional retardation.

Maybe we need to define what it means to ‘sing with emotion’. I think Frank has a style that may be lost on some.

emotion plenty …..

Maybe we need to define what it means to ‘sing with emotion’. I think Frank has a style that may be lost on some.

emotion plenty …..

I don’t know. I just thought it was obvious that Frank was a guy that sang with nothing but emotion. He wasn’t the technically perfect singer, according to himself he was a saloon singer, nothing more, nothing less. I think that comes across perfectly. Frank’s voice is loneliness, alienation, love lost, empty streets, constant rain. But also sudden bursts of success, a taste of class and style, but still irrevocably immersed in loneliness and lost love. I recommend anyone to listen to the albums Only the Lonely (his greatest ever album), Where Are You and No One Cares.

To me it does not go unnoticed, I simply do not feel, it does not mobilize me like Morrissey and a few other singers,.,I can not explain but it seems to me a cold singer, maybe it is something generational, but to make a psychiatric diagnosis does not seem to me either.. emotional retardation... Guys when something doesn't reach you there is no way !!! it doesn't come to you, period🤷‍♀️

Sure. But I thought we were talking about rock, rock pop.

And ….

‘Country music originated in the early twentieth century among working-class Americans living in the south, especially in the Appalachian Mountains. Generations of musicians had blended English ballads with Celtic and Irish fiddle songs, adding influences from various European immigrants who settled nearby.’

Was just expanding on your statement re influences and the metamorphosis of music.

Back
Top Bottom