Morrissey Central "Water And Power" (August 4, 2022)

But it was the Dolls that inspired McKlaren and kids in NYC to start Punk, and punk was the reason most of the bands on your list were started. And The Beatles and Stones, etc were started because of American blues and early rock n roll, more or less.

USA! USA! :rock:;)
You are absolutely correct here. If it wasn’t for the true American innovators we would probably wouldn’t have pop music as we know it. A bitter pill for the Brits to swallow, I assume.

This is maybe the most embarrassing post on Morrissey central. Of course the "stars wearing a Smiths shirt" is equally bad. What on earth is the reason for this?
100% agree….the site has been idle for 3 or 4 days. Desperation most certainly doesn’t produce the necessary, or even the slightly wanted.
Filming with a recording device of a television playing is tedious, low-quality, and embarrassing.
Sorry, know I’m gonna get pelted for this.
Sadly, I have contributed to the metrics necessary to maintain commercial value by commenting.
Sometimes you just can’t win by losing.

I don't know what you're saying about boots, it sounds very authoritative to me. No one overlooks me, I assure you. I'm just telling the truth, which always hurts when there is criticism. Truth reeks of boredom when they write that way and when there are bad vibes and they respond that way(n)

You didn’t get the reference? Either something got horribly lost in translation, or you have no cultural awareness. Must be the Argentinian cattle industry giving you mad cow disease.

But it was the Dolls that inspired McKlaren and kids in NYC to start Punk, and punk was the reason most of the bands on your list were started. And The Beatles and Stones, etc were started because of American blues and early rock n roll, more or less.

USA! USA! :rock:;)
You make a good point but it's what the English did with that old sound that made it their own.

I'd rate Blancmange more than The Clash fake consumer punk. Sex Pistols were great though, as were The Jam.
Blancmange recent albums like Wanderlust and Unfurnished Rooms are excellent (I think anyway) as are most of Neil Arthur's output/collaborations, for example the Late For Sum EP.

fake consumer punk? The only band that mattered? Some might say matters or ever did matter?

you could not have lived through the time....That's cool...I envy your youth. It's never too late though. Give London Calling an hour of your life with a relisten.. You might thank me one day.

fake consumer punk? The only band that mattered? Some might say matters or ever did matter?

you could not have lived through the time....That's cool...I envy your youth. It's never too late though. Give London Calling an hour of your life with a relisten.. You might thank me one day.
Acton is mostly very reasonable, but that was one disastrous comment. Absolutely bonkers. The Clash, the most eclectic and progressive band to come out of the original punk movement, are the absolute opposite of consumer punk.

"Cause he's Irish"
Funny he was born and raised in England, he has spent most of his life in England.
He calls himself English

Yet this guy calls him Irish

I think Mexicans think they are like the Irish, there are parallels..

But in spite of what the UK and Ireland think they have been interlinked for 100s and thousands of years- well their countries have. The UK itself was formed in 1707

But England, Ireland , Scotland and Wales have been mixing for over a thousand years

When you consider that and consider M was born in England..i think apart from some ways that were handed down he is way more English than Irish + the actual Irish co consider him q plastic paddy

America , as formed by white Europeans was only founded in 1776

The customs of the white Americabs and Native Americans and Mexicans were very different , as was skin colour of course.

A Mexican coming to USA
Is nothing like an Irish person coming to UK.

Not having a go at Mexicans it's a beautiful country
America what part of America. ??? Because it runs from Canada til Argentina. The american continent. You meant the US if America. Yes ? The USA. Founded by dutch and British people after commiting genocide killing the vast native people. Part of the USA territor y( ne wMexico, Nevada , Texas ,california ,Arizona. Belonged to Mexico thousands of years before the whites stole the land from the natives. So Mexicans. Are more Americans than you think. Custom skin, cultures blends, everywhere you go in the world . Mustly. A Mexican coming to the USA?? Excuse you !

I think the parallels are stronger than you suggest.
Those from Mexico and Ireland have a flare for the colourful and the dramatic to contrast with the otherwise slightly uptight WASP culture that is their neighbour. Both are often accused of being lazy or being the bringers of crime and disorder. Mexico was defeated by the USA on several occasions. I imagine the average Mexican has a similar attitude towards the stronger neighbour that defeated them over the centuries as the Irish do to the English. And there is Catholicism, of course. I know religion is a lot less important than it used to be, but it is still a big part of Irish culture and Mexican culture. Add to that the feeling in both Ireland and Mexico that their experience of colonialism virtually wiped out something very ancient and pagan, with its own language and religion, the vestiges of which are only remembered in folklore and various prehistoric sites.
Not lazy no crime. Maybe is just your short mind. Stereotypes who only the closed mind have . aAParallel betweeno irish or brits if feelings, and emotions about life and how to navigate, cope with it. Ithat iswhy we love Morrissey t, he smiths. Songs. And no translation is need it.

You didn’t get the reference? Either something got horribly lost in translation, or you have no cultural awareness. Must be the Argentinian cattle industry giving you mad cow disease.

No, I didn't understand anything. But you don't understand that Nancy Sinatra seems like a boluda to me!!!
Boluda=silly!!

You make a good point but it's what the English did with that old sound that made it their own.

I agree with Acton, a lot of great music did come out of England.

But I think we should acknowledge America’s hand in the creation of that.

In England, I think where they made their own the most, is when the elements of music hall and some folk traditions were brought into the mix. But of course it’s culture, politics and what’s happening on the street will contribute to its uniqueness as well.

Also, lots of cross pollination of ideas though.

Acton is mostly very reasonable, but that was one disastrous comment. Absolutely bonkers. The Clash, the most eclectic and progressive band to come out of the original punk movement, are the absolute opposite of consumer punk.

In a way, I think The Clash were more punk when they went reggae. Lol.

CRASS makes London Calling sound like …

:p

No, I didn't understand anything. But you don't understand that Nancy Sinatra seems like a boluda to me!!!
Boluda=silly!!

Estás claramente loco. Nancy Sinatra ama a Morrissey y Morrissey ama a Nancy Sinatra. ¿No estás de acuerdo con tu ídolo? Cuando vendiste tu ego, también vendiste tu devoción por el California Son.

MV5BZWYxY2ExMTYtZmEwMi00YjNiLWFjMmYtMWJiYWViYzcyODdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_.jpg

Of course! They were really only punk rock on their first album.

As good as that was, they were only doing ‘punk rock’ on that first one. I think they found their ‘own’ sound when they went reggae, strangely enough.

In the same way, I feel that Metal Box and Flowers of Romance is far more punk than the Pistols album.

Estás claramente loco. Nancy Sinatra ama a Morrissey y Morrissey ama a Nancy Sinatra. ¿No estás de acuerdo con tu ídolo? Cuando vendiste tu ego, también vendiste tu devoción por el California Son.

MV5BZWYxY2ExMTYtZmEwMi00YjNiLWFjMmYtMWJiYWViYzcyODdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_.jpg

just thinking, it would have been great if Nancy got Lee Hazlewood to work with M back then. Wonder if they ever discussed it.

As good as that was, they were only doing ‘punk rock’ on that first one. I think they found their ‘own’ sound when they went reggae, strangely enough.

In the same way, I feel that Metal Box and Flowers of Romance is far more punk than the Pistols album.
Not to mention all the other genres and styles of expression they experimented with. They were always meant to go so much further than punk. Surely ‘The Magnificent Seven’ is one of the first British hiphop songs?

Not to mention all the other genres and styles of expression they experimented with. They were always meant to go so much further than punk. Surely ‘The Magnificent Seven’ is one of the first British hiphop songs?

I think the smarter ones realized quickly that
you can be truly punk by dropping the ‘punk’ façade.

I think the smarter ones realized quickly that
you can be truly punk by dropping the ‘punk’ façade.
I think so too. Generation X were a lot more pop than The Clash, of course, but they too felt confined by punk. They get some stick, but I’ve been a fan since I first got into punk.

I will admit the comment was done rashly and I knew it would stir the hornets nest. I'll give them a proper listen to see if I have that eureka moment. You know the one where you say to yourself 'WHY haven't I listened to this band more?!'.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom