watching part two of pop & politics

G

Grim O'Grady

Steve Earle, excellent! What does your dad think of him (& therefore you) theo?

> Steve Earle, excellent! What does your dad think of him (& therefore
> you) theo?

Funny you should ask that question, coz my Dad loves him - think I might go and watch that now and see what all the crack is about.

> Steve Earle, excellent! What does your dad think of him (& therefore
> you) theo?

What do you know about my dad? He certainly doesn't share most of my views, being under the influence of the baby boom as he was. I saw more eye-to-eye with my great uncle, may he rest in peace. He bought me an Ayn Rand book one Christmas and a Hayek book one birthday, bless his heart.

I don't know this Steve Earle character you speak of, but when it comes to pop music, pop music is mostly about fashion, and likewise the politics of pop bands tend to be more about fashion statements, or based on emotion more than logic.

If you can explain why a vegan isn't as goofy as stem cell research protestors, then do so. If not, I'll keep my more level-headed approach to animal rights.
Keeps me from being a hypocrite like certain singers who public preach that it's all "murder" and privately enjoy the leather running smooth in the dirver's seat of their flashy new Jaguar.

google steve earle ffs! But don't let your dad see your 't'internet history'

> What do you know about my dad? He certainly doesn't share most of my
> views, being under the influence of the baby boom as he was. I saw more
> eye-to-eye with my great uncle, may he rest in peace. He bought me an Ayn
> Rand book one Christmas and a Hayek book one birthday, bless his heart.

> I don't know this Steve Earle character you speak of, but when it comes to
> pop music, pop music is mostly about fashion, and likewise the politics of
> pop bands tend to be more about fashion statements, or based on emotion
> more than logic.

> If you can explain why a vegan isn't as goofy as stem cell research
> protestors, then do so. If not, I'll keep my more level-headed approach to
> animal rights.
> Keeps me from being a hypocrite like certain singers who public preach
> that it's all "murder" and privately enjoy the leather running
> smooth in the dirver's seat of their flashy new Jaguar.

> google steve earle ffs! But don't let your dad see your 't'internet
> history'

Ohhh, he's that idiot who wrote the song about tha American Taliban douchebag, John Walker! John Walker pisses me off because he's forever tarnished the good name of Johnnie Walker scotch.

I remember hearing about Steve Earle on Fox News.

I see at Amazon that his newest album has a song titled "Amerika" something. Yadda yadda yadda.

He's obviously another one of the lefties who offers nothing but knee-jerk anti-Americanism (very trendy!) and empathy for muslim fascism.

I do remember that you, Grim, thought that taking action against the Taliban in Afghanistan was a "crime against humanity", and most people who had that view at the time are running away from it now. You were wrong. Steve Earle is a fool. You're both on the wrong side of history.

I just looked up a review of his album "Jerusalem":

======
Every pop singer reacted to Sept. 11 a little differently. Alan Jackson felt confused, maybe a bit weepy, so he wrote "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)?" Toby Keith, on the other hand, went with angry and jingoistic in "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue." Bruce Springsteen offered comfort and reassurance. Now comes the singer-songwriter Steve Earle, and if you don't mind, he'd like to jam his thumb in your eye.

At least that's the impression you get right off the bat from his new CD, Jerusalem (Artemis). And it's not because of "John Walker's Blues," the song that got so much attention for its sympathetic take on John Lindh. The unsettling lead-off track is called "Ashes to Ashes," and it's a bizarrely fatalistic number that compares the collapse of the World Trade Center towers to the meteor that killed off the dinosaurs. "It's always best to keep it in mind," Earle sings, "that every tower ever built tumbles … And someday even man's best-laid plans/ Will lie twisted and covered in rust/ When we've done all we can but it slipped through our hands."

In a way, this should not come as a surprise. After all, Earle likes to cast himself as a lefty maverick who speaks unpopular truths. (He publicly pines for the days when the anarchist Emma Goldman was denouncing World War I as imperialist oppression.) And Artemis owner Danny Goldberg did ask him for an "overtly political" record, according to Earle, because "there were some things that needed to be said, especially now, in the world after 9/11." But surely what needed to be said, especially now, was not: Hey, shit happens. Those building were bound to come down eventually, so quit your bellyaching.
=====

Amazing what passes for intelligence these days.

I'm putting on a good libertarian punk band, like AntiSeen,and think of beating SteveEarle to a pulp

> What do you know about my dad? He certainly doesn't share most of my
> views, being under the influence of the baby boom as he was. I saw more
> eye-to-eye with my great uncle, may he rest in peace. He bought me an Ayn
> Rand book one Christmas and a Hayek book one birthday, bless his heart.

> I don't know this Steve Earle character you speak of, but when it comes to
> pop music, pop music is mostly about fashion, and likewise the politics of
> pop bands tend to be more about fashion statements, or based on emotion
> more than logic.

> If you can explain why a vegan isn't as goofy as stem cell research
> protestors, then do so. If not, I'll keep my more level-headed approach to
> animal rights.
> Keeps me from being a hypocrite like certain singers who public preach
> that it's all "murder" and privately enjoy the leather running
> smooth in the dirver's seat of their flashy new Jaguar.

I believe in animal welfare V. rights. There is a distinction. I have only been posting here for a year, and actively only in the last six months. I am glad to see that there is room here for political debate as well as discussions about Morrissey and his music. Whether or not you agree with Theo's views, you have to admit he stimulates debate.

Back
Top Bottom